Soulcasting Metalminds

Aspiring Writer

So this WoB says that it is possible to soulcast metalminds.

Questioner

Can you Soulcast an Invested object?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but it's much harder. But humans are Invested, and you can soulcast humans.

Questioner

So, suppose you had a goldmind that was filled. And you tried to Soulcast into iron. What would happen to the Investiture inside it?

Brandon Sanderson

So, the Investiture would remain in there, but it's keyed to the wrong thing, so you wouldn't be able to get it. It'd be much harder to Soulcast that, by the way. The more Invested, the harder it is. But Soulcasters are used to it, because everything has Investiture, and most of what they're Soulcasting. They deal with this, so it's something they're kind of expert at. So, this is not outside reason, that it could happen. You could give it to your average Soulcaster on Roshar, and they could make it happen. You just wouldn't be able to get the Investiture out of it anymore.

So, in a little debate in the RoW spoiler thread, this was brought up (Don't worry, no spoilers here. These are all hypotheticals) about the TLR and how to beat him and that they said they could just soulcast his metalminds, using this WoB as evidence.

I say that this means it's possible, it's not easy and that TLR metalminds would be filled to the brim and then incredibly difficult to soulcast. The WoB even confirms this. " It'd be much harder to Soulcast that, by the way. The more Invested, the harder it is." SO it follows the same rules for pushing on mtelaminds, where it's possible, but it gets harder to the point of impossibility. he counters that a herald during the time of honor with the massive amounts of stormlight that can soulcast, like Battar, would be able to push through. I say that might be possible but still extremely difficult.

What do you all think of that? Do you agree that the TLR bands -which are likely filled to the brim- would be nearly impossible for any normal soulcaster to cast? And what about a full-powered Battar?

I agree that it is possible, but only in the strictest definition. I doubt any Radiant would be capable of it unless they were somehow being powered directly by a Shard like Vin was. Probably would still be very difficult as I imagine Soulcasting would prove even harder than Pushing/Pulling. Technically possible? I'd say yes, but not possible in any practical sense

46 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I say that this means it's possible, it's not easy and that TLR metalminds would be filled to the brim and then incredibly difficult to soulcast. The WoB even confirms this. " It'd be much harder to Soulcast that, by the way. The more Invested, the harder it is." SO it follows the same rules for pushing on mtelaminds, where it's possible, but it gets harder to the point of impossibility. he counters that a herald during the time of honor with the massive amounts of stormlight that can soulcast, like Battar, would be able to push through. I say that might be possible but still extremely difficult.

It is an old argument for which there is no confirmed answer.  Ill give you my opinion.  While the scale of what Heralds can accomplish is huge their surges are generally weaker in certain ways.  For example the honorblades don't let them heal shardblade wounds.  It is absolutely theoretically possible but it is also might not be your best method.  In fact in terms of pushing through resistance a radiant might have an easier time

I thought this topic means something else! I thought that it is about creating metalmind a with the help of soulcasters. 
I have no idea but do you think soul casting can make it easy to get costly metals for allomancers? Like Gold, bendalloy etc. 

On the actual topic at hand, well I think it is possible but very tough to soulcast metal minds as the wob says. So it would also require a 5th level soul caster probably of Jasnah’s caliber to do this. 
And I think it will be especially difficult and near impossible to do this to TLRs metalminds or bands of mourning. 

5 hours ago, Aon Tia said:

I thought this topic means something else! I thought that it is about creating metalmind a with the help of soulcasters. 
I have no idea but do you think soul casting can make it easy to get costly metals for allomancers? Like Gold, bendalloy etc. 

Yes, probably, and that will have interesting economic changes, especially with those new metalminds. I would suggest making a thread about that. P.S, I have a thread for metalmind businesses in the Mistborn forum, if you have any ideas, feel free to share them there. (Please do, I want more people to share ideas there.)

5 hours ago, Aon Tia said:

On the actual topic at hand, well I think it is possible but very tough to soulcast metal minds as the wob says. So it would also require a 5th level soul caster probably of Jasnah’s caliber to do this. 
And I think it will be especially difficult and near impossible to do this to TLRs metalminds or bands of mourning. 

Agreed! Glad everyone agrees, it means I'm not crazy.

Human beings have enough Investiture that any metal inside their body cannot be Pushed or Pulled by Allomancers (unless they're the Lord Ruler). However, we saw that Vin could Push and Pull Sazed's metalminds; she just couldn't put as much oomph into it as she normally could. Given this, it seems like Soulcasting metalminds (at least ones whose stores aren't too big) would be easier than Soulcasting a person.

On 12/18/2020 at 1:50 PM, Aspiring Writer said:

So this WoB says that it is possible to soulcast metalminds.

Questioner

Can you Soulcast an Invested object?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but it's much harder. But humans are Invested, and you can soulcast humans.

Questioner

So, suppose you had a goldmind that was filled. And you tried to Soulcast into iron. What would happen to the Investiture inside it?

Brandon Sanderson

So, the Investiture would remain in there, but it's keyed to the wrong thing, so you wouldn't be able to get it. It'd be much harder to Soulcast that, by the way. The more Invested, the harder it is. But Soulcasters are used to it, because everything has Investiture, and most of what they're Soulcasting. They deal with this, so it's something they're kind of expert at. So, this is not outside reason, that it could happen. You could give it to your average Soulcaster on Roshar, and they could make it happen. You just wouldn't be able to get the Investiture out of it anymore.

So, in a little debate in the RoW spoiler thread, this was brought up (Don't worry, no spoilers here. These are all hypotheticals) about the TLR and how to beat him and that they said they could just soulcast his metalminds, using this WoB as evidence.

What do you all think of that? Do you agree that the TLR bands -which are likely filled to the brim- would be nearly impossible for any normal soulcaster to cast? And what about a full-powered Battar?

The Spearhead in BoM was less Invested than a Shardblade, but very close to it (from what I recall). So if a Herald could soulcast that, then they could probably soulcast a Spren too. I think that’s beyond the capabilities of most soulcasters.

11 minutes ago, Aon Tia said:

Wow!! Shard-blades are very very highly invested!!! :huh: Roshar is literally drowning in investiture! 

Well, Roshar was invested by three shards, four if you think there might be an avatar of autonomy working with Odium, one of those gods got splintered and left the remnants of his power there and in the Stormfather, so it makes sense there is so much investiture there compared to everywhere else.

On 12/19/2020 at 4:20 PM, Raven Wilder said:

Human beings have enough Investiture that any metal inside their body cannot be Pushed or Pulled by Allomancers (unless they're the Lord Ruler). However, we saw that Vin could Push and Pull Sazed's metalminds; she just couldn't put as much oomph into it as she normally could. Given this, it seems like Soulcasting metalminds (at least ones whose stores aren't too big) would be easier than Soulcasting a person.

How much investiture in metalminds depends on how full they are, and Sazed are nowhere near full. A good example of a full metalmind is the Bands in BoM, which are stated to be completely full.