What do you hear as the Rhythm of War?

Dreamwa1ker

Music tones and rhythms are so important in RoW. I wanted to make a space to share people's own ideas of songs or music that represent what Rhythm of War or The Song of Science could sound like. I hope you share some examples of what you think!

My picks:

My brain went to a couple songs from The Last of the Mohicans film score. It has a beautiful soundtrack and makes heavy use of leitmotifs for the different characters and themes, which can then fit well for being the different rhythms/tones of the Shards.

The boundless energy of Cultivation, always growing and changing, and the calm solidity of Honor—organized, structured. They vibrated together. Structure and nature. Knowledge and wonder. Mixing. The song of science itself.

This one I think of the track Promontory from Last of the Mohicans: 

There is a steady solid beat on the drums with a slow melody that grows and falls steadily over the top (I think of this as "Honor's stately rhythm") with a constantly moving and changing line on the strings within it (Cultivation). You can really hear the two overlaid at about 2:28 at the link above.

The rhythms snapped into alignment, a burst of chaotic notes from Raboniel—bounded by a regular, orderly pulse from Navani.

For the Rhythm of War, there is another track from the same film called Fort Battle, that has some of the same elements (Honor melody) from the other song but mixed with more martial drums and more clashing. I see this as Honor's melody with Odium's frenzy, almost dissonant:

Listen particularly at 2:22.

What songs do you think of when you read these passages? I would love to hear other examples!

Edited by Dreamwa1ker

1 hour ago, Bremen said:

As much as I imagined Mars, the Bringer of War, I have to admit this fits the description much better:

Omg that is one of my favorite pieces too! Love this idea, especially that part of the song.

If we're thinking Holst's The Planets (because Mars is also a great answer!) I could totally see Honor's rhythm being like the middle section of Jupiter that is often used as a hymn: 

At 2:54. Definition of stately.

Edited by Dreamwa1ker

I hate to admit it, but upon the first read-through, my immediate mental image (if that is the right word for "hearing a rhythm in my head") for the Rhythm of War was of the "Jumanji" drum beats

On 12/18/2020 at 2:41 PM, Frustration said:

Seven Nation Army.

Now that you mention it, when Navani figured out to blend Honor's Rhythm with Odium's to form the Rhythm of War, my first thought was "Oh, like a really good mashup?", the latest of which I'd heard was of... "Seven Nation Army" by the White Stripes, and Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics.

Or perhaps more apropos for something involving a Fused like Raboniel and the giant suppressor fabrial at the heart of Urithiru, a mashup of "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees and "Another Brick In The Ball (Pt. 2)" by Pink Floyd:

Edited by robardin

The Rhythm of the Tower sounds to me like Tool's Pneuma. It's based on this wonderful polyrhythm that weaves together and apart over and over again. The song is a masterpiece of mathematical and instrumental precision, balanced against prayerful lyrics praising humanity's spiritual nature. I think Navani would groove to it.

The epic drum solo that starts a little after the six minute mark is especially amazing.

Edited by earthexile