So, on Christmas morning, I want to make pancakes. But not just any pancakes. I want to have several different kinds of pancakes. I want to have ten different varieties of pancakes. Specifically, the ten different kinds of pancakes Lift eats when she goes to Yeddaw in the novella Edgedancer. But here's the problem: I don't know what all the varieties of pancakes were. I read through Edgedancer recently, and I only remember three - one has sweet stuff in the middle, one is less sweet and kind of chewy(?), and one isn't a pancake at all, it's just a thought. So really I only know two kinds of pancakes to make. And I'm kind of lost on how to make the ones I do know about.

Are all ten varieties even described in the book? I don't remember. If it's gonna take going back and listening to the whole thing again, I will. But I thought I really should ask here first; make sure I'm not trying to re-do work that has already been done. So if yall have any information on the Yeddaw pancakes, please post it here. Even knowing the chapter references where the pancakes are talked about would be a big help, since then I would have a much smaller search range. That's all. Thanks!

I had actually thought about this. I am thinking that many are varieties of crepes.  
I found 8 plus the 10th Tashi one, though the 7th could be the same as the other 2 sweet varieties. 

1. Sun Day pancakes Tuk-cake
  2. salty, with chopped-up vegetables.
  3. Another tasted sweet.
  4. variety was fluffier, almost without any substance to it, though there was some kind of sauce to dip it in
  5.  dense variety, with mashed-up paste in the center that was too sticky and salty.
  6. One has sugar in the center.
  7. a variety she’d already tried— the ones with sweet stuff in the middle. 
    (This could be the same as 3 or 6) 
  8.  a type with a real thick, almost mealy texture.

10. The tenth is dedicated to Tashi

My guesses. 
2 = standard savory Crepe with vegetable filling
3 = Sweet pancake - Either this is one with sweet filling, or a Sweet pancake like Brown sugar pancakes, or maple syrup in the batter pancakes.
4 = fluffy pancake like buttermilk pancakes, or one of the recipes where you whip the egg whites into a meringue and fold it in. one of the 
- this could be a Beghrir type pancake with honey sauce. 
- or Netherlands Poffertjes, Aebleskiver's
5 = Salted Caramel Crepe, Russian blinis with caviar
6= Swedish pancake with powdered sugar
7= pancake/crepe with fruit/jam filling, or sweetened cheese filling
8. Buckwheat flapjacks, Potato pancakes, 

Other options I considered
Finnish Pannu Kakku, German pancakes, Indonesian Serabi, Poffertjes, Aebleskiver's ... 

Edited by FollowYourMuse

5 hours ago, FollowYourMuse said:

I had actually thought about this. I am thinking that many are varieties of crepes.  
I found 8 plus the 10th Tashi one, though the 7th could be the same as the other 2 sweet varieties. 

1. Sun Day pancakes Tuk-cake
  2. salty, with chopped-up vegetables.
  3. Another tasted sweet.
  4. variety was fluffier, almost without any substance to it, though there was some kind of sauce to dip it in
  5.  dense variety, with mashed-up paste in the center that was too sticky and salty.
  6. One has sugar in the center.
  7. a variety she’d already tried— the ones with sweet stuff in the middle. 
    (This could be the same as 3 or 6) 
  8.  a type with a real thick, almost mealy texture.

10. The tenth is dedicated to Tashi

My guesses. 
2 = standard savory Crepe with vegetable filling
3 = Sweet pancake - Either this is one with sweet filling, or a Sweet pancake like Brown sugar pancakes, or maple syrup in the batter pancakes.
4 = fluffy pancake like buttermilk pancakes, or one of the recipes where you whip the egg whites into a meringue and fold it in. one of the 
- this could be a Beghrir type pancake with honey sauce. 
- or Netherlands Poffertjes, Aebleskiver's
5 = Salted Caramel Crepe, Russian blinis with caviar
6= Swedish pancake with powdered sugar
7= pancake/crepe with fruit/jam filling, or sweetened cheese filling
8. Buckwheat flapjacks, Potato pancakes, 

Other options I considered
Finnish Pannu Kakku, German pancakes, Indonesian Serabi, Poffertjes, Aebleskiver's ... 

Oh, thank you! This is a big help. I guess I'll just make up the ninth. My sister knows how to make this lemon sauce, that is absolutely divine. Do you have chapter references for these? Thanks again!

I think they're mostly just supposed to be the typical, flat round pancakes, judging by the fact that Lift uses a shard fork to try to eat them, and ends up just wedging it just the right way under the pancake that she can pick it up and eat it. I'd have to read it again to be sure.

On 12/18/2020 at 3:21 PM, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

Oh, thank you! This is a big help. I guess I'll just make up the ninth. My sister knows how to make this lemon sauce, that is absolutely divine. Do you have chapter references for these? Thanks again!

pages from Kindle

“They got these pancakes here,” she said, “with things cooked into them. Supposed to be super tasty, and they eat them during the Weeping. Ten varieties. I’m gonna steal one of each.”

Edgedancer (p. 79).

wouldn’t be … pancakes, would it?” “Sure,” Hauka said, sensing an opportunity. “Sun Day pancakes. You can have one, if you—”

“Tuk-cake,” Hauka said, feeling exhausted.  Edgedancer (p.88, 91). 

One of the pancakes was salty, with chopped-up vegetables. Another tasted sweet. The third variety was fluffier, almost without any substance to it, though there was some kind of sauce to dip it in. Edgedancer (p. 147). 

Lift chewed on her pancake. It was a dense variety, with mashed-up paste in the center that was too sticky and salty. The one beside it was covered in little crunchy seeds. Neither were as good as the other two varieties she’d tried over the last few hours. Edgedancer (p. 190). 

“Write this to Gawx,” Lift said around bites of pancake. “‘ They got good food here. These pancakes, with lots of variety. One has sugar in the center.’” Edgedancer (p. 190).

The pancakes were cold, and unfortunately of a variety she’d already tried— the ones with sweet stuff in the middle. Her favorite. Maybe the Stump wasn’t all bad. Edgedancer  (p. 224). 

... finishing off the last pancake, a type with a real thick, almost mealy texture. “Okay,” she proclaimed, standing up. “That’s nine. What’s the last one? I’m ready.”

“The tenth is dedicated to Tashi,” the scribe said absently as she wrote. “It is more a thought than a real entity. We bake nine, and leave the last in memory of Him.”

Edgedancer  (p. 261). 

Wow, thank you for doing this for me! (and for anyone else who wants to make Yeddaw pancakes.) So we know at least 7 unique ones:

1. salty w/ vegetables. (may or may not be the same as Sun Day pancakes)
  2. sweet.
  3. fluffy, almost without any substance. Served with a dipping sauce.
  4. dense with sticky, salty paste in the center.
  5. covered with crunchy seeds
  6. sugar in center (probably same as 'the ones with sweet stuff')
  7. thick, almost mealy texture.

So, I don't believe we have enough information on the Sun Day/Tuk-cake to count it as a unique variety. There are two varieties not described. Those might be "the other two varieties she'd tried over the last few hours" from page 190. More likely, they just don't get mentioned since Brandon was running out of ideas. Anyway, I plan to replace the missing two with:

8. chocolate chip pancake, and

9. standard with maple syrup & butter.

Those are definitely not the two we're missing, but in my opinion, no pancake meal is complete without a chocolate chip pancake. Also, I don't think I could find out the real recipes without going to Brandon directly, which I don't really have time to do before tomorrow morning. Oh, and let's not forget:

10. dedicated to Tashi. More a thought than a real entity.