My Magic System (Space manipulation)

Aspiring Writer

So, after my last post, which was really fun, I'm going to start pitching some of my Magic systems and seeing what you guys think. Feel free to leave thoughts, questions, and suggestions.

So this part of my magic system revolves around the manipulation of space. All of it. --- Also, skills that are normal and easy to learn and all users with any skill should be expected to be able to use them; skills italicized are more advanced and will only be seen by experienced users, Skills in bold are expert and very few individuals will be seen using them.

Telekinesis- So they have telekinesis. This is the simplest power. There is a weight limit to how much they can carry -the exact amount is still undetermined, but I'm thinking maybe 200 pounds- though they can work around this weight limit with some of the other powers. They cannot lift themselves up or others that can use this power.

Gravity manipulation- Can reduce or increase the force of gravity on anyone or on any area. They can also change the direction of gravity/ make new sources of gravity (think Windrunners). An object's or person's structural integrity is still the same, so too much force can cause them to break/die. There are ways for them to protect themselves from those effects, but they are hard to learn.

Manipulation of distance/space- Can redefine distance, make one foot into a mile or a mile into one foot. 

Portals- Can open a portal between two points. The portal can be obstructed by objects and cannot cut through them- this goes for both opening and closing- but it can be moved while open to get out of that space. There is no size limit, but the larger you want it, the longer it takes. It can make a personal-sized person in around a second while something big enough to portal a starship would take maybe half a minute to a minute. They need to have some idea of where their going and will have some control of where they end up. There is a range where you can open portals- this would be at max a city-wide range. It takes some concentration to keep the portals open and that concentration increases for every additional portal. This can lead to headaches from overexertion. For context, Most experts can't keep more than four portals open. It does get easier to keep them open with practice.

Teleportation- Can teleport from one place to another. If you teleport into a place without enough space, you will just be teleported to the nearest safest place you can fit and not have something inside you. This is more difficult to master than the other skills. The range is smaller than the Portal's range. Inertia is not transferred in the teleportation (if you are falling and then teleport a foot from the ground, you would start falling as if you jumped off a bench.) This causes disorientation as you try and get your boundaries and from the sudden jarring change. Users of this can get used to it, but non-users have a difficult time with it. There is a weight limit to how much can be teleported. The user can teleport itself and a certain amount of weight with them, like a person. If not touching, the weight limit is much smaller- aka not enough to teleport a person.

Density Shifting/Atmic spacing- can phase through objects and walls. One of the hardest skills to learn. They do need to breathe, so they cannot stay indefinitely in a wall, however, once the air makes contact with you, it will also be able to phase through the wall, so you will only need your mouth out to breathe and not your chest. You can make other objects phase, but there's a mass limit. You cannot make portions of an object phase, only the whole object. You will phase through the ground; this can be fixed with gravity manipulation which can be used to replicate flight. Phasing objects can touch phasing objects, so two users phasing can interact. 

So, what do you think of the abilities, what questions do you have about them, and any suggestions to add to this arsenal? Anything that manipulates space and gravity is a free game.

ok, so the "Manipulation of distance/space- Can redefine distance, make one foot into a mile or a mile into one foot." ability seems very strange of the basic physics of it.

So, If you were to make one foot a mile, and then walk partway through, and then cancel the ability what would happen? I need more information before I can comment more on this ability.

7 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

ok, so the "Manipulation of distance/space- Can redefine distance, make one foot into a mile or a mile into one foot." ability seems very strange of the basic physics of it.

So, If you were to make one foot a mile, and then walk partway through, and then cancel the ability what would happen? I need more information before I can comment more on this ability.

SO you know how space-time is seen like a paper and a wormhole is where you fold the paper and punch a hole in it? Kind of like that. The space in that area is constricted or stretched. If you collapse it midway, you be where you are as if everything was normal, so if you stretch one foot into one-mile and walk 1/12 a mile, you'll have walked an inch.