Takeaways from the livestream

Mason Wheeler

The "red chicken" was owned by a Feruchemist who was keeping an eye on Dalinar's household.

Syl found Kaladin through his Connection to Tien, because Tien attracted a spren first.

Renarin has a crush on someone, and the identity of who it is isn't meant to be particularly hidden or tricky.

Confirmation that deadeyes were not a thing that happened before the Recreance, and that the way the deadeye phenomenon started is similar to something else we've seen in the Cosmere.  (Can't help but wonder if this is referring to the change that precipitated the fall of Elantris?)

Different types of investiture are extremely fungible, and basically any type could be used to power any magic system.  This is the primary reason why Thaidakar is interested in Stormlight: it's extremely easy to obtain, and if he could successfully export it from Roshar he could use it to run other magics with.

Rosharans would use the term "Surgebinding" to refer to any magic system.  Allomancy, for example, would be considered binding the Surges (forces) of the world to the allomancer's will.  Many others, including Khriss, would disagree and claim that Surgebinding only means the Radiant magics.  (This raises an interesting question: when people on Roshar say that Ashyn was destroyed by unmoderated "surgebinding," what exactly does that mean?)

Tien's spren did not become a Deadeye when TIen died, because Tien did not break any oaths.  (Never clarified: had Tien actually taken any yet, or was the spren just hanging around him much like Syl was with Kaladin for a long time?)

Anyone else catch anything interesting?

15 minutes ago, Mason Wheeler said:

The "red chicken" was owned by a Feruchemist who was keeping an eye on Dalinar's household.

Syl found Kaladin through his Connection to Tien, because Tien attracted a spren first.

Renarin has a crush on someone, and the identity of who it is isn't meant to be particularly hidden or tricky.

Confirmation that deadeyes were not a thing that happened before the Recreance, and that the way the deadeye phenomenon started is similar to something else we've seen in the Cosmere.  (Can't help but wonder if this is referring to the change that precipitated the fall of Elantris?)

Different types of investiture are extremely fungible, and basically any type could be used to power any magic system.  This is the primary reason why Thaidakar is interested in Stormlight: it's extremely easy to obtain, and if he could successfully export it from Roshar he could use it to run other magics with.

Rosharans would use the term "Surgebinding" to refer to any magic system.  Allomancy, for example, would be considered binding the Surges (forces) of the world to the allomancer's will.  Many others, including Khriss, would disagree and claim that Surgebinding only means the Radiant magics.  (This raises an interesting question: when people on Roshar say that Ashyn was destroyed by unmoderated "surgebinding," what exactly does that mean?)

Tien's spren did not become a Deadeye when TIen died, because Tien did not break any oaths.  (Never clarified: had Tien actually taken any yet, or was the spren just hanging around him much like Syl was with Kaladin for a long time?)

Anyone else catch anything interesting?

They said the chat had guessed correctly who the crush was. Anyone catch it? I was working so couldn't read the chat. 

Also the items in the shop did get there magically, but it not directly the shopkeeper who did the thing to bring the flute and horse back.

Edited by teknopathetic

2 minutes ago, Ookla The Frustrated said:

Adam said the chat had guessed, but not Brandon

The chat said Rlain.

I mean, Adam knows the answer and Brandon kept saying :"No worries, it happens. Don't feel bad Adam". It was a very very playful "but I (Brandon) didnt say it..." kind of thing. 100% it was a slip and it is confirmed. 

Rlain makes sense seeing that his mateform didnt go so well! 

Edited by teknopathetic

32 minutes ago, teknopathetic said:

Also the items in the shop did get there magically, but it not directly the shopkeeper who did the thing to bring the flute and horse back.

Maybe in the spiritual realm you can carry the spirts of items across vast distances in no time at all? In the cognitive realm that doesn't work but in the spiritual realm I suppose it could. It's possible Dalinar put them there when he gave Kaldin the vision, perhaps without even knowing he was doing it.

Has it ever been revealed exactly how the oathgates work? I know there are spen that are connected to them but I would think there's a spiritual aspect to transporting physical bodies across the planet instantaneously. Might be something similar going on there.

1 hour ago, Mason Wheeler said:

the way the deadeye phenomenon started is similar to something else we've seen in the Cosmere.  (Can't help but wonder if this is referring to the change that precipitated the fall of Elantris?)

Yeah Ba-Ado-Mishram's imprisonment must have caused an effect similar to the Reod. The Reod caused Elantrians to lose access to Investiture after transforming. So I'm thinking the same thing happened when BAM was imprisoned. Now spren that have their bonds broken somehow lose access to Investiture and since they are literally pieces of Investiture they become deadeyes. Maya might be starting to come back a little because her Connection to Adolin is giving back some of that access to Investiture. Kind of like drawing the chasm line restored the Aon Rao, establishing some semblance of a bond starts to restore deadeyes.

Kind of a half baked theory on my part but it makes sense. Only thing I don't understand is why a spren of Odium would have such a large Connection to all spren on Roshar, but I suppose Odium's Connection to Roshar may have become as strong as Honor's and Cultivation's after living there long enough.

So why are all the deadeyes congregating near Lasting Integrity? I'm guessing the trial has nothing to do with it. I think they can sense Maya's access to Investiture coming back and they're drawn to it. If BAM is released all of the deadeyes will be fully restored. Perhaps we will see the end of Shardblades that can be used by anyone on Roshar?

Edited by ScarecrowBoat716

5 minutes ago, adouloumis said:

I believe there was a tidbit on what exactly Odium did on Hoid in the epilogue. I believe he said Odi destroyed a bit of memory but NOT gained it for himself. Brandon also said we have seen this before. I am not very sure where. Any ideas? 

Have you read Warbreaker?

4 minutes ago, adouloumis said:

I believe there was a tidbit on what exactly Odium did on Hoid in the epilogue. I believe he said Odi destroyed a bit of memory but NOT gained it for himself. Brandon also said we have seen this before. I am not very sure where. Any ideas? 

I think he means like how copper ferrings can store memories but other ferrings can't access those memories. Memories are keyed to your Identity. They can be destroyed but not stolen.

10 minutes ago, adouloumis said:

If you've read Warbreaker, then go ahead and read (it's a minor spoiler).

Spoiler

One of my first thoughts (curtesy of me rereading Warbreaker before Rhythm of War on a whim) was to the quick scene where Vasher made a little girl forget about some past trauma (Correct me if I get any details wrong). Vasher then goes on to vaguely explain that he can share the words that would cause something like this happen to another character before being refused. 

Biggest Support: Brandon Sanderson said something to the effect of Odium altering Hoid's breath (I believe that's the specific form of investiture that was mentioned), which he uses to store his memories. It's not too far of a logical leap for me to suggest that someone's breath helps them store memories; so following this logic, I think it's similar to what was mentioned in Warbreaker where the command that Vasher gives the little girl effects her one Breath, and then she seems to forget about the entire scarring encounter.

Major Hole: Breaths are finicky, and they require intent and consent on a mortal level. Vasher or anyone who knows the command can't force you to forget something, it seems that it can only be done by someone to themselves. Although since we are dealing with a Shard (an inexperienced one at that), the rules aren't necessarily the same.

Let me know if you actually follow my strange line of thought. I'm told that I have a hard time unravelling things from my head and explaining these things to others.

39 minutes ago, ScarecrowBoat716 said:

Yeah Ba-Ado-Mishram's imprisonment must have caused an effect similar to the Reod. The Reod caused Elantrians to lose access to Investiture after transforming. So I'm thinking the same thing happened when BAM was imprisoned. Now spren that have their bonds broken somehow lose access to Investiture and since they are literally pieces of Investiture they become deadeyes. Maya might be starting to come back a little because her Connection to Adolin is giving back some of that access to Investiture. Kind of like drawing the chasm line restored the Aon Rao, establishing some semblance of a bond starts to restore deadeyes.

Kind of a half baked theory on my part but it makes sense. Only thing I don't understand is why a spren of Odium would have such a large Connection to all spren on Roshar, but I suppose Odium's Connection to Roshar may have become as strong as Honor's and Cultivation's after living there long enough.

So why are all the deadeyes congregating near Lasting Integrity? I'm guessing the trial has nothing to do with it. I think they can sense Maya's access to Investiture coming back and they're drawn to it. If BAM is released all of the deadeyes will be fully restored. Perhaps we will see the end of Shardblades that can be used by anyone on Roshar?

Actually, what happened in Arelon was that significant change to the environment altered the way Investiture flowed enough to interfere. They had to add something missing (the chasm line) to allow Investiture to flow again.

Ie. Nothing was taken from the Spren - something was ADDED to the environment. Something the Spren are missing.

Or: Odium became fully Invested in Roshar, significantly changing the environment by adding a third tone. This damaged Investiture flow to the Spren because they are ‘missing’ the ‘Odium line’ in their makeup.

1 hour ago, Ookla The Frustrated said:

Have you read Warbreaker?

1 hour ago, The Ookla's Guard said:

Hide contents

One of my first thoughts (curtesy of me rereading Warbreaker before Rhythm of War on a whim) was to the quick scene where Vasher made a little girl forget about some past trauma (Correct me if I get any details wrong). Vasher then goes on to vaguely explain that he can share the words that would cause something like this happen to another character before being refused. 

Biggest Support: Brandon Sanderson said something to the effect of Odium altering Hoid's breath (I believe that's the specific form of investiture that was mentioned), which he uses to store his memories. It's not too far of a logical leap for me to suggest that someone's breath helps them store memories; so following this logic, I think it's similar to what was mentioned in Warbreaker where the command that Vasher gives the little girl effects her one Breath, and then she seems to forget about the entire scarring encounter.

Major Hole: Breaths are finicky, and they require intent and consent on a mortal level. Vasher or anyone who knows the command can't force you to forget something, it seems that it can only be done by someone to themselves. Although since we are dealing with a Shard (an inexperienced one at that), the rules aren't necessarily the same.

Let me know if you actually follow my strange line of thought. I'm told that I have a hard time unravelling things from my head and explaining these things to others.

Yeah I have but I probably need again. I can't really remember the scene but this seems to be what was implied. I will check it out. Thanks guys!

9 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Actually, what happened in Arelon was that significant change to the environment altered the way Investiture flowed enough to interfere. They had to add something missing (the chasm line) to allow Investiture to flow again.

Ie. Nothing was taken from the Spren - something was ADDED to the environment. Something the Spren are missing.

Or: Odium became fully Invested in Roshar, significantly changing the environment by adding a third tone. This damaged Investiture flow to the Spren because they are ‘missing’ the ‘Odium line’ in their makeup.

I took it as a simple “conditions change, but a shard would normally tweak the magic system to compensate”.  If Devotion was unshattered, the Reod would have been easily fixed if not preventable in the first place.  Same with the effects of BAMs imprisonment, Honor is his prime would have just sundered the necessary bonds to prevent the fallout to spren and singers.  

10 hours ago, ScarecrowBoat716 said:

I asked if Heralds can procreate and Sanderson said yes but not necessarily in the traditional way. Any descendants of Heralds that we've met? And what does non-traditional procreation look like?

There’s a theory that Shallan is Chanarash or that Shallan’s mother was Cahanarash or a weird version where Shallan is her own daughter reborn like an avatar or something. 

if you look at the herald painting it looks nearly identical to Shallan. We have a wob that Shallan’s parents are her real parents, but maybe her mother was Chanarash and then her mom faked her death? It would also explain why Nale didn’t come to kill Shallan as he might be hesitant to step on Chanarash’s toes. 

anyway, not saying I believe it. But I would secretly love if Radiant’s secret was to do with herald connection in some way. 

If it were true, I wonder if Chanarash would sacrifice a daughter for Hemelurgy or something? Could be interesting. Maybe that’s a way to retain sanity? 

Edited by teknopathetic

10 hours ago, The Ookla's Guard said:

Reveal hidden contents

It is said hoid stored his excess memories in the breath somehow.

When asked about Kaladin uniquely being able to use his powers in Urithiru, Brandon noted that Kaladin was as close as possible to the 4th oath.  He knew the words, and the Stormfather was ready to accept, but Kal just couldn't bring himself to say them.  (I think there might have been 3 distinct times in Oathbringer where Kaladin could have sworn the oath if he was willing: when using the windspren to split the highstorm, when the windspren gather to him in Shadesmar aboard the Honorspren vessel, and of course near the end by the Oathgate).

Too bad, I was hoping for a more mystical "Kaladin is special!" explanation there.

14 hours ago, Subvisual Haze said:

When asked about Kaladin uniquely being able to use his powers in Urithiru, Brandon noted that Kaladin was as close as possible to the 4th oath.  He knew the words, and the Stormfather was ready to accept, but Kal just couldn't bring himself to say them.  (I think there might have been 3 distinct times in Oathbringer where Kaladin could have sworn the oath if he was willing: when using the windspren to split the highstorm, when the windspren gather to him in Shadesmar aboard the Honorspren vessel, and of course near the end by the Oathgate).

Too bad, I was hoping for a more mystical "Kaladin is special!" explanation there.

Yeah, but he also further spoke that it could be interpreted as Kaladin taking his Ideals to an exceedingly unhealthy levels which Windrunners typically don't. But that is something Honor would surely approve because he cared about oaths and that's what Kaladin also does. It could also mean as a para-symbolic interpretation that Kaladin is far more close to Honor than any other character in terms of mindset. 

Also, I think there are a lot more to that question. For example how his powers especially RL worked and why Teft needed Lift to stay awake etc. 

9 hours ago, Ramona Tehradin said:

Yeah, but he also further spoke that it could be interpreted as Kaladin taking his Ideals to an exceedingly unhealthy levels which Windrunners typically don't. But that is something Honor would surely approve because he cared about oaths and that's what Kaladin also does. It could also mean as a para-symbolic interpretation that Kaladin is far more close to Honor than any other character in terms of mindset. 

Also, I think there are a lot more to that question. For example how his powers especially RL worked and why Teft needed Lift to stay awake etc. 

I reckon for Teft it was that while he's spren thought he was ready and the Stormfather would've accepted them he might not of known them, my guess is he was figuring them out during the fight with Moash. So close but not as close as Kaladin so he needed Lift.

Also, with Kaladin and being excessive with his oaths in a way that Tanavast would've approved off, imo I reckon that explains the child of Tanavast thing. 

17 hours ago, Ramona Tehradin said:

I believe Sanderson said something like "Kaladin is extra-aligned with Honor’s Intent," which may also have contributed to his staying awake.