Renarin

Karger

On 21/12/2020 at 4:52 PM, Zea mays said:

I must be very stupid and weird. My takeaway from hearing “ Renarin most likely has a crush on Rlain” is to wonder how come he doesn’t instead crush on Kaladin. The dude is epic and gorgeous and has charisma oozing from every pore, not to mention his mad habit of rescuing Ren’s closest family members from desperate dangers.
Come on, ye who delight in all speculative shipping ( I know you’re out there, I can hear you typing), explain this one to my dense, Stormblessed-loving self.

I mean, Renarin has a crush on Rlain, so maybe Kaladin is too human for him lol.

Actually speaking, I think Renarin (and most members of Bridge Four) idolises Kaladin, so Renarin sees Kaladin more like a hero that he looks up to than a possible love interest. Moreover, there is this scene in OB where Kaladin think Drehy is feminine for courting a man, which may have hurt Renarin since people had already tried to insult him saying he's feminine.

On 1/8/2021 at 3:19 AM, Frustration said:

That did not happen.

It sort of did. Kaladin thought Bridge 4 might not be okay with gay relationships so pointed out how some of the men in Bridge 4 (Sigzil) could read/write iirc, which is against traditional Vorin masculine arts (err... Orthodox Vorinism would be the better word now, after Dalinar's book was distributed, I suppose)... Either that or an inverse of the situation regarding Dalinar writing a book.

So Kaladin does probably perceive gay relationships as a bit feminine, or at least is inclined to think of them in that manner due to social conditioning. It's common enough irl (of course, nothing wrong with being feminine if you wanna) and he didn't seem homophobic, he only tried to prevent ostracization for any man in Bridge 4 trying to learn to read/write or date another man, so that's fine.

Edited by Honorless

On 12/18/2020 at 8:45 PM, GroundPetrel said:

...I actually liked those books.

Oops, sorry, I missed your comment.

Hmm... I liked book 2. Hearthstone was a well-developed character. Rest of the cast... not so much. Samirah and Alex Fierro were not as well-developed, imo, it felt like he was very afraid while writing those characters so they came out kind of cookie-cutter. Magnus' dormmates were... utterly forgettable and actually read like pop culture caricatures.

Don't talk to me about Trials of Apollo. I'm still mad about

Spoiler

Jason's death

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

Oops, sorry, I missed your comment.

Hmm... I liked book 2. Hearthstone was a well-developed character. Rest of the cast... not so much. Samirah and Alex Fierro were not as well-developed, imo, it felt like he was very afraid while writing those characters so they came out kind of cookie-cutter. Magnus' dormmates were... utterly forgettable and actually read like pop culture caricatures.

Don't talk to me about Trials of Apollo. I'm still mad about

Hide contents

Jason's death

I actually liked the Apollo books, they felt like Riordan was being bold and adventurous a lot more.  (They were also darker than the previous books, but in a genuinely mature kind of way rather than an edgy way.  I think I like books that grow with their audience like that)

With the Norse ones, I think a big problem was Riordan needed to find a semi-unique way to play with the myths and deconstruct them a bit, and it was hard to do that with the Marvel pop-culture osmosis dominating everybody's consciousness.  Having a lot of protagonists for a trilogy doesn't really help, either.  

(I still have a huge soft spot for the Egyptian ones, even though 1 and 3 are a little clunky, because 2 is just so damn good and the climax is perfectly set up, paced, and written.  His best book is probably The Son of Neptune, though.  Both because of the return to form and because it pairs off Percy being insanely badass with Frank and Hazel growing into their own awesomeness really well)

18 hours ago, GroundPetrel said:

I actually liked the Apollo books, they felt like Riordan was being bold and adventurous a lot more.  (They were also darker than the previous books, but in a genuinely mature kind of way rather than an edgy way.  I think I like books that grow with their audience like that)

With the Norse ones, I think a big problem was Riordan needed to find a semi-unique way to play with the myths and deconstruct them a bit, and it was hard to do that with the Marvel pop-culture osmosis dominating everybody's consciousness.  Having a lot of protagonists for a trilogy doesn't really help, either.  

(I still have a huge soft spot for the Egyptian ones, even though 1 and 3 are a little clunky, because 2 is just so damn good and the climax is perfectly set up, paced, and written.  His best book is probably The Son of Neptune, though.  Both because of the return to form and because it pairs off Percy being insanely badass with Frank and Hazel growing into their own awesomeness really well)

I love the Kane Chronicles too! Absolutely love Sadie and Carter, she's hilarious, completely bonkers and insanely entertaining, Carter is just adorable. I loved the Heroes of Olympus too (my fav has to be House of Hades, with Mark of Athena really close behind). And of course I grew up with Percy Jackson.

As for Magnus Chase it felt... cramped. Barely any space to settle in Valhalla, it went to some very predictable places with Ragnarok, not a lot of character development, Magnus felt like a blank slate... 

Oops, we'll stop talking about Rick Riordan books, got carried away, sorry and carry on! 

Edited by Honorless