Stubborn Head-Canon

Aletus

So this is a fun little thing. Do any of you have some head canon that you know is absolutely wrong, or not canon, that you REFUSE to budge on? 

My biggest one is the pronunciation of Moash's name. It's Moe-sh to me. Mo Ash is way too clumsy for me. 

10 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Wait what? Is that actually how it's meant to be pronounced? That's terrible..

Yup, Brandon has mentioned this multiple times. Has to do with France being an inspiration for names in Mistborn. But Brandon doesn't say Kel-see-ay either, so that is mostly how he imagines that the people in-world would say it. 

Personally, given that english isn't my native language, I probably pronounce a lot of names somewhat differently. 

21 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Yup, Brandon has mentioned this multiple times. Has to do with France being an inspiration for names in Mistborn. But Brandon doesn't say Kel-see-ay either, so that is mostly how he imagines that the people in-world would say it. 

Personally, given that english isn't my native language, I probably pronounce a lot of names somewhat differently. 

Of course, come SA5, it’s entirely possible that someone will tell Shallan that Thaidakar’s name is Kellsee-ay, and he’ll be referred to as such for the entire book. Thereby avoiding having his actual name printed at any point...

Headcanon that may actually be accurate: Kelsier has a very French accent when speaking non-Scadrian languages. Which he actually speaks, since he needs to communicate with his people but can’t use connection tricks due to being trapped on Scadrial. He also speaks a very old upper class variant of the North Scadrian language, so comes off as horribly pretentious to people on Scadrial.

I know Rock has red hair, I know he does. But also I literally can not picture anything but Jason Momoa. I do not know where this came from because if I remember correctly we are not introduced to Rock though the Horneater culture (which does read, to me at least, very polynesian, particularly the language) 

also on the topic of names I will not budge on Ad-o-lin rather than Ay-do-lin. (I hope that makes sense I'm really bad with phonetic representation) 

7 hours ago, likehephaestion said:

also on the topic of names I will not budge on Ad-o-lin rather than Ay-do-lin. (I hope that makes sense I'm really bad with phonetic representation) 

I'm ashamed to admit that whenever I hear anyone pronounce names in any other way to which I think of them, I scream (mostly in my head, but sometimes out loud.)

My friend calls Marsh Mash and it drives me insane. Mash makes me imagine him as a bowl of mash potato. And I pronounce Kaladin as Keladen. Kaaladin with the first 'a' sounded long just sounds wrong in my head. 

I also imagine Kelsier as a brunette and get momentarily confused when I see fanart of him with blonde hair. 

I forworn, do not challenge me on these opinions no matter how twisted they seem to you. 

12 hours ago, likehephaestion said:

I know Rock has red hair, I know he does. But also I literally can not picture anything but Jason Momoa. I do not know where this came from because if I remember correctly we are not introduced to Rock though the Horneater culture (which does read, to me at least, very polynesian, particularly the language) 

I picture him as the Rock, despite knowing he has fair skin. Shrugs.

I'm Spanish and we pronounce everything the same way we write it so all the names (or at least most of them) sound in my head as they would if they were Spanish. Strangely enough when I read any Sanderson book in English (I've only done that with Part one of RoW and some paragraphs of other books in the wiki) names sound much more "English" in my head.