Kaladin will take up the shard of Honor.

metaldragon

Everyone seems to think that Dalinar will take up Honor since he bonded the storm father but I think Kalidin has a much stronger case.

"Honor is dead but I'll see what I can do"

Being called the son of Tanavast by the storm father and the sibling.

Has embodied Honor for his entire life always choosing the honorable path no matter the circumstances.

Has a growing following that has "faith" in him and use his brand as almost a religious symbol.

Honor is Dead but I'm convinced we'll see what Kaladin can do.

If Dalinar holds a shard it would be the shard of War.

Hes the only character so far that has been chosen by both odium as a champion and  by honor with the storm father accepting him.

I predict.

1. Dalinar loses to Odiums challenger 

2. Kaladin ascends to honor.

3. Honor kamikaze into odium leaving Both shards and Dalinar picking them up with his new shard making him the big bad and free to leave Roshar.

Who better to carry the Shard of war than Dalinar? What better opposite to Harmony?

Edited by metaldragon

Honestly my crackpot theory.

Dalinar is going to both lose the trial of champions but still ascend to become Honour. So you end up with a situation where one shard is sorta stuck serving another shard or something along those lines. Might lead to a mixing of their investiture in some strange way as well, idk.

That being said it's probably not the case I just think it's a cool idea. Reasons for it being unlikely.
Gonna spoiler cause my reasoning cause into some less obvious ROW spoilers.

Spoiler

- Honour has a lot of investiture of Roshar so Dalinar probably wouldn't be able to leave if he ascends.
- While I don't think there's anything specifically stopping a Fused ascending, there's probably a bunch of stuff that'd get in the way (having a lot Odiums investiture seems to prevent Radiant bonds (Leshwi saying she can't bond with a Spren), Tod would probably need to allow it to happen and idk if that'd happen ,etc)

Tho more tangents, on the note of Odiums investiture, I'm increasingly of the opinion that Emotion Spren has some Odium connection to them, so if any Radiants have emotion spren as their shard plate it could suggest that's not as much of an issue.

18 hours ago, metaldragon said:

Dalinar loses to Odiums challenger 

2. Kaladin ascends to honor.

3. Honor kamikaze into odium leaving Both shards and Dalinar picking them up with his new shard making him the big bad and free to leave Roshar.

Who better to carry the Shard of war than Dalinar? What better opposite to Harmony?

Besides what everyone already said about Mistborn, I think this would be perfect. Perhaps Brandon pulls a twist on it...?

Yea I'm not entirely sure where cultivation and more importantly lift fits here. Lift being the biggest wild card in the series for me.

The 2nd theory is that Dalinar and tanevast simply create the shard war by willingly uniting to working together after Dalinar ascends creating a unpredictable and deadly force. Perhaps the loophole which I think is a draw of some sort would be key here.

There just seems to be too much foreshadowing of kaladin picking up Honor for me to ignore though 

1 hour ago, metaldragon said:

Yea I'm not entirely sure where cultivation and more importantly lift fits here. Lift being the biggest wild card in the series for me.

The 2nd theory is that Dalinar and tanevast simply create the shard war by willingly uniting to working together after Dalinar ascends creating a unpredictable and deadly force. Perhaps the loophole which I think is a draw of some sort would be key here.

There just seems to be too much foreshadowing of kaladin picking up Honor for me to ignore though 

I seem to recall that we have a WoB that Lift will be one of the back 5 focus characters.  I can't really see her ascending to Shardhood at any point before that book, at the very least, and honestly probably not even then.  She's a really bad fit for the power of Cultivation.

• 2 weeks later...

I could very much see Kaladin picking up Honor, for some of the same reasons you mentioned. At the least I think that Kaladin is already Honor's avatar: 

He already has seemed to have command of the winds, even feels wind guiding him even before being Radiant. The spear always felt right in his hand even before he was trained. He talks at various times that he could close his eyes and still dodge/fight just as well. And the Honor is dead but I'll see what I can do also works so well with "“Honor is not dead so long as he lives in the hearts of men!” I think Syl was tasked with finding an avatar or next Vessel for Honor and she picked Kaladin. So I agree he might ascend - I don't agree with the rest of the theory you put forth however because it is too similar to Mistborn. I don't know what would happen next.

On 12/17/2020 at 8:10 PM, Aspiring Writer said:

There is a theory of splitting Honor ten shards kind of gods.

That's interesting! Imagine if they did the same to Odium. 9 Passion Shards sound a lot less dangerous than one Odium.

Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns. 

—Collected on Chachanan 1173, 84 seconds pre-death, by the Silent Gatherers. Subject was a cutpurse with the wasting sickness, of partial Iriali descent.

This death rattle plays into the broken Honor theory really well too. Perhaps it predicts the end of book 5 or 10? Maybe Kaladin or Dalinar take up only part of Honor, therefore earning the title "Broken One" (it fits Kaladin so well though, don't you think?)

Edited by Lunu’anaki
Death Rattle

2 hours ago, Lunu’anaki said:

This death rattle plays into the broken Honor theory really well too. Perhaps it predicts the end of book 5 or 10? Maybe Kaladin or Dalinar take up only part of Honor, therefore earning the title "Broken One" (it fits Kaladin so well though, don't you think?)

Pretty sure that's referring to Odium.

1 minute ago, Lunu’anaki said:

Any particular reason though? "Broken One" seems very much like a title. One which I don't think we've heard yet.

Well three once ruled is referring to three shards, and the Stormfather says Odium reigns when Kaladin asks why they fight, so it is likely that Odium is the broken one.

Honor is splintered with the biggest chunk being incorporated into the Stormfather which is how Dalinar can release the bond holding Odium to the Roshar System.  Rayse in Oathbringer muses about how he didn't splinter the shard enough after seeing how the truespren are acting and that he will need to splinter Honor into smaller pieces when he gets the opportunity.

4 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

OK, let's ask a basic question. Does the Shard of Honor still exist or is it splintered? If it exists, where is it?

We'll get a definite answer in Book 5, apparently:

CaptainObvious0927

The really question is, given the death of Rayse, is honor really dead? Or is his essence out there, still available to be claimed?

Brandon Sanderson

I will answer this for certain by the end of Book Five. For now, RAFO.

General Reddit 2020 (Nov. 22, 2020)

My pet theory: they do an Oathpact except with multiple Shards (Honor + Odium + maybe Cultivation).

So ten people get together and share the burden of God’s power, in a similar fashion as the heralds. This lets them wield the power with less “corruption” from the shards.

• 6 months later...

My spin on this theory is that Dalinar will lose the contest (i strongly believe in the Baby champion theory) and become Odium's agent for the Cosmere, while Kaladin will Ascend to Honor with Ishar's help, giving new hope to the Radiants.

8 hours ago, Krafl said:

My spin on this theory is that Dalinar will lose the contest (i strongly believe in the Baby champion theory) and become Odium's agent for the Cosmere, while Kaladin will Ascend to Honor with Ishar's help, giving new hope to the Radiants.

My theory's similar. 

I too believe in the Baby/Child Champion Theory, but I think Dalinar will swear an Ideal (or two) and use use the power of a Bondsmith to shift everyone's connection. So he'll take Odium's Champion's connection onto himself, hoist the role of Honor's Champion onto someone else (my biggest two guesses are Szeth and Taln), and lastly move his Connection to the Stormfather to Kaladin. Due to the power of a special Bondsmith and the rapid swearing of Ideals, Kaladin will quickly Ascend into the role of Honor. But then things will get more complicated because the outcome of the Contest is unclear. But that part of the theory is for another time. 

I think reforging honor requires reuniting the heralds and changing some of them out via Ishar's bond transfer trick (Dalinar of course will not see the implications bond transferrance soon enough)

Likely with Dalinar in the hands of Odium that means the latter books will involve Odium trying to and likely succeed in destroying cultivation.

Book 5 will resolve 3 things for sure: the day of sorrows, a plan to restore the oathpact between Kaladin and Ishar, and Dalinar in some way failing the contest of champions.

So, I wonder if Dalinar binds the Everstorm too, is that enough investiture to form a new Shard? How much investiture is needed to ascend. I also wouldn't mind seeing him with Oathbringer up and running and living shard plate. Ascending leaves you bound. Right now the Bondsmiths potentially  can help their side more than Odium because they are not bound. Odium told Dalniar the power will bind him eventually. I do like the idea of 10 Radiants taking up more of honor. Double the amount of Honor (the Shard) in each Honor blade to re-forge the oath pack. Those mini shards would not be bound the way a Shard is so they would have fewer limitations (only their oaths from their order and from the oath pact). 

On 7/12/2021 at 3:42 PM, Master Silver said:

So, I wonder if Dalinar binds the Everstorm too, is that enough investiture to form a new Shard? 

Not even close

How much investiture is needed to ascend.

There are only 16 shards no more no less. It's not the amount of investiture, it's the shard.

Ascending leaves you bound.

Bound to what?