How many?

How many worldhoppers are there?

hoid, khriss, mraize, zahel, (nightblood if you count swords) khriss's companion (forgot his name), a few seons, the ire ( if you can name members that would be nice too), i feel like there are more. any help?

"Thousands"   Setting aside the individuals we know of, there are there Ghostbloods, the Ire, Silverlight, and the whole trans-planetary commerce system around Nalthis complete with caravans and actual Customs to go through.

Questioner

We started out in the earlier books knowing that there's this Hoid guy, he's a worldhopper. Hey, worldhoppers exist. And then we've kind of been given more and more. In Secret History it said you'd be surprised about the economy you've upended by destroying the perpedicularity. what amount of people are travelling between worlds? Hundreds? Thousands? Billions?

Brandon Sanderson

...Thousands.

Questioner

Is it like vacation? Or is it like...

Brandon Sanderson

Well, I wouldn't call it--

Questioner

Is it the frontier? Or is it from where you could go?

Brandon Sanderson

It depends on the roadway. Let's say you look at frontier era America. How hard was it to get to England? It was really far away, but it was actually relatively safe and common to do this. How difficult was it to get to Boise, Idaho? That's harder, but you know how to do it. How easy was it to get to, let's say, the Hawaiian Islands? You're starting to get into like, the question comes here, certain pathways are more traveled. There are going to be caravans, there are going to be guides. There are going to be safe travels between certain places that are done commonly enough that if you are in the know and are in the right place you can be like "I wanna buy passage here." And you go there, and you can have a reasonable expectation that you're going to make it to where you're going. 

Other places, you say, "I wanna go here", and they're like, "Yeah, I've known someone who tried that and they never came back. I'm not taking you." So, where you're going, where you're trafficking, Khriss gives you some indications of which ones are easy to get to and which ones are commonly visited. I would recommend that if you want to go on vacation in the cosmere, like, "I want to go somewhere different," go to Nalthis. Go to Nalthis. Nalthis is great to go to, right? They even have customs that you can go through. You can like, arrive, and things like this. Don't go to Sel. Sel is not good to go to. Sel is really dangerous to go to. There's a dead Shard--two of them--in the Cognitive Realm that will destroy you. Other places, Scadrial, used to be a lot easier to get to. Roshar, depends on which era you're talking about. Sometimes it's pretty easy to go to. Those nice Horneaters will treat you like a god and feed you food. However, right now, it might not be a good time to try to visit Roshar.

JordanCon 2018 (April 21, 2018)

Questioner

For the worldhopping that happens with Vasher and Vivenna. Does that happen... Are they the humans that came over--

Brandon Sanderson

No, they're not.

Questioner

They're just completely independent people who hopped--

Brandon Sanderson

They're moving more with the hidden cosmere economy that has grown up moving between planets. Between Nalthis and Roshar, you can actually catch a caravan. There's actual movement and travel between them. That's been in place on Roshar for quite a while at this point.

Skyward Chicago signing (Nov. 16, 2018)

yeah i forgot azure/vivenna. also alonoe, denth, elrao, felt, galladon, maod, riino, shashara, and lemex's nurse. i assume nazrilof is nazh. Nazh was khriss's helper. do we know of any other names?

Edited by Hoid the Drifter

There's also these guys

Questioner

So, I was curious about Hoid and how he is sending letters to a dragon, while he is on Roshar and the dragon is elsewhere?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. So, there is a courier service you can hire in the cosmere.

Questioner

So, it's like a Pony Express and that on the...

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Not everything he's doing is going via that, but it is a thing that exists.

Questioner

Like, in the Cognitive Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, they have to go through Shadesmar. So... you can hire a very specialized group to get things where they're supposed to go.

DragonCon 2019 (Aug. 29, 2019)

Edited by Honorless