Anyone know who this is?

5 minutes ago, Ookla the Disproportionate said:

[citation needed]

I’ve seen the theory that it’s cultivation, but I definitely haven’t seen it confirmed anywhere. 

There's this WOB:

asmodeus

In Words of Radiance, Hoid says that there's only one person as old as him around, and seems to be referring to Cultivation's vessel. In Rhythm of War, he mentions there's a dragon on Roshar.

Are these two individuals the same, or are they separate?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. These two are the same.

General Reddit 2020 (Nov. 22, 2020)

8 minutes ago, Elegy said:

There's this WOB:

Yeah, I’ve seen that. I don’t think it confirms it though. I think it’s definitely possible that Brandon is intentionally misleading us there. Look at the phrasing of the question. 

asmodeus

In Words of Radiance, Hoid says that there's only one person as old as him around, and seems to be referring to Cultivation's vessel. In Rhythm of War, he mentions there's a dragon on Roshar.

Are these two individuals the same, or are they separate?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. These two are the same.

General Reddit 2020 (Nov. 22, 2020)

Brandon could technically just be answering: “Yes, Hoid is referring to Cultivation when he said that.”

It’s also possible that Hoid wasn’t actually referring to Cultivation when he mentions the oldest person around, so he could be talking about the Dragon, but not about Cultivation. 

Edited by Ookla the Disproportionate

2 minutes ago, Ookla the Disproportionate said:

Yeah, I’ve seen that. I don’t think it confirms it though. I think it’s definitely possible that Brandon is intentionally misleading us there. Look at the phrasing of the question. 

Brandon could technically just be answering: “Yes, Hoid is referring to Cultivation when he said that.” It’s also possible that Hoid wasn’t actually referring to Cultivation when he mentions the oldest person around, so he could be talking about the Dragon, but not about Cultivation. 

That's... A really twisted way to interpret that... I guess technically possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

(Also instead of saying "citation needed" if you already know of the WoB you could just post it and explain why you disagree. Just a thought.)

9 minutes ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

(Also instead of saying "citation needed" if you already know of the WoB you could just post it and explain why you disagree. Just a thought.)

It’s not like I have every single WoB memorized lol

I just recognized the WoB once I read it. And then posted the thoughts I had on that WoB that I remembered that I had when I first read it. 

1 minute ago, Ookla the Disproportionate said:

It’s not like I have every single WoB memorized lol

I just recognized the WoB once I read it. And then posted the thoughts I had on that WoB that I remembered that I had when I first read it. 

I'm sorry. You're totally right, its unrealistic to think everyone will have all the WoB memorized:-) I was irrationally annoyed for whatever reason. I apologise.

I still think the simpler interpretation of the WoB is the correct one though!

Cultivation's vessel is the original vessel and would be someone as old Hoid. Hoid said there's only one person as old as him around. So the old person he's referring to is Cultivation's vessel.

I don't think Hoid was a thousand years old when the Shattering occurred. If he was one hundred and Cultivation's vessel was 20, that's still close enough 10,000 years later to be considered the same age.

So I don't think there's any trickery going on there. Brandon confirmed that Cultivation's vessel is a dragon. Brandon deflects and RAFOs when he doesn't want to let information out. He doesn't try to trick. That answer would be a direct attempt to trick. If he didn't want to let that info slip, he would have RAFOed it.

15 hours ago, Leuthie said:

Cultivation's vessel is the original vessel and would be someone as old Hoid. Hoid said there's only one person as old as him around. So the old person he's referring to is Cultivation's vessel.

I don't think Hoid was a thousand years old when the Shattering occurred. If he was one hundred and Cultivation's vessel was 20, that's still close enough 10,000 years later to be considered the same age.

So I don't think there's any trickery going on there. Brandon confirmed that Cultivation's vessel is a dragon. Brandon deflects and RAFOs when he doesn't want to let information out. He doesn't try to trick. That answer would be a direct attempt to trick. If he didn't want to let that info slip, he would have RAFOed it.

‘Kelsier would join the Ghostbloods and be in charge within a year.’ No trickery here in this totally hypothetical answer, right? Just trolling. 

Also: all the questions involving Shallan and her Spren, which included some less-than-truthful responses.

There are some things that Brandon does trick us on. Kelsier and Shallan, mostly. This wasn’t one of them.

21 hours ago, Ookla the Disproportionate said:

Brandon could technically just be answering: “Yes, Hoid is referring to Cultivation when he said that.”

It’s also possible that Hoid wasn’t actually referring to Cultivation when he mentions the oldest person around, so he could be talking about the Dragon, but not about Cultivation. 

I don't think Brandon does that kind of trickery. Sly answers that allude to something true without stating it outright, yes. Intentional misleading, no 

hes not misleading there. he answers truthfully. what hes not confirming is the questioners assumption that Wit meant Cultivations Vessel.

instead of saying "yes, he meant Cultivation both times" he says that the old character and the Dragon are the same.
its not the first time Brandon has answered questions in that way. when the person asking wasn't satisfied and kept pushing he RAFOed the follow up questions.

while expect both to be the same I would not take that as confirmation.

Edited by trav

5 hours ago, smokeesid said:

Another question to ask Brandon Sanderson is how does Shedsmar has oxygen to breath everywhere that people can travel in between planets.

There you go:

Pagerunner

If you need to bring food into Shadesmar, why don't you need to bring air?

Brandon Sanderson

Y'know, we actually talked and thought about this. There are certain things I just decided for narrative reasons... I wanted Shadesmar to be travelable and I wanted it to be a real place, and so I just made air, I came up with kind of my own hacks. There are times I do this for narrative reasons. 

Let me give you an easier example. In the Mistborn books, and I've told people this before, I was working on speed bubbles. Slowing down time, speeding up time in a small little bubble around you, right? I went to Peter and I'm like, "This is what I'm going to do, what are the problems with this?" And he's like, "Well, redshift." Which means that basically you would be irradiating everyone with the light coming from inside the speed bubble. I'm like, "alright, we're just going to say that doesn't happen." This is where the line between for me science fiction and fantasy exists. When I'm building my story, I do try to have one foot in science with things like this. But I tend to work backward... A lot of science fiction starts with what we have now and extrapolates forward to [an] interesting, plausible premise. For my fantasy works, I start with some cool idea. And then I work backward in plausibility, trying to justify it. And we kind of meet in the center, but at the end of the day I am breaking the laws of thermodynamics, right? Just straight-up breaking laws-- I mean, we have our whole Realmatic Theory and stuff like that, but at the end of the day, I am trying to tell stories where certain extreme situations exist. Like, I bent over backwards to make the science of Roshar work with the greatshells, but at the end of the day, we still have to have a magical solution, right. To get beasties as big as we want to do, it doesn't matter how high your oxygen content is, if you've got .7 gravity or not, all these concessions we've made: the square-cube law says those things crush themselves. You just can't have things this big. And so we built in a magical solution. The spren creating this symbiotic bond is making it so these things don't crush themselves. 

And when I was looking at Shadesmar, there are a couple things-- what I want for the narrative is this place. I am going to work backward and try to make as many concessions and nods toward science as I can. But the air one, I just said "You know what? There's just gonna be air in Shadesmar. I am just gonna make it so that you can." I want you to be able to walk between the planets on Shadesmar, I don't want people to have to worry about bringing a Windrunner with them and plants or whatever to get oxygen. I'm just gonna make that the case. Your in-world answers, I'm like "Well, air kind of permeates and has escaped through and things," but really do we have an oxygen cycle there? We've got plants, but are they really--

The answer is, there is air in Shadesmar because I want there to be air in Shadesmar. 

JordanCon 2018 (April 21, 2018)