Moash is...

Lightning

22 hours ago, Lightning said:

...a drug addict.  Odium taking away his pain is his drug.  It numbs his feeling.  Without that drug, Moash actually might start changing for the better.

This really helped me have more compassion for Moash.  He is like Teft, but still in the grips of his addiction.  Thoughts?

I've known and tried to help several people with their addictions in my life. Each and every one of them were horrible people until they finally addressed the issues that turned them to their addictions. Horrible.

I understood them. I had compassion for them. But if they never succeeded in shaking their issues (and a few of them never did), they would still be horrible people. Knowing the reason why someone is horrible doesn't make them less horrible. Them trying to fix the issues doesn't make them less horrible. It's only when they go through the entire process to either remove the issues, or deal with those issues in a better way, that they are no longer horrible.

You also have to look at how someone views the world when they aren't in the grips of their addiction. Moash refuses to, even when feeling good, address any issues in any way. He actually seeks out representatives of people that want to end his friends to find ways to avoid actually addressing his issues. He literally tries to make his best friend's issues worse when his best friend doesn't follow him down the dark path.

So no. Moash is a horrible person and I have little compassion for him. No one is irredeemable. No one can't get through their dark times and come out a good person on the other side. Most people literally have to hit rock bottom* to gain enough motivation to get our of their own way. But Moash has done nothing to address anything, literally killing people in an effort to avoid addressing anything.

*Actually, this concept is similar to saying that you found the thing you were looking for in the last place you looked. Rock bottom is where ever you fell when you made the full commitment to get back up and successfully did it. You can always fall farther. Moash, blind and aware he killed a good friend and a man he respected, can still fall further. There is really no real Rock Bottom.

On 12/15/2020 at 11:39 AM, Lightning said:

...a drug addict.  Odium taking away his pain is his drug.  It numbs his feeling.  Without that drug, Moash actually might start changing for the better.

This really helped me have more compassion for Moash.  He is like Teft, but still in the grips of his addiction.  Thoughts?

Odium... Opium... only a 180 degree rotation of a single letter apart... just sayin...

1 hour ago, Karger said:

He is self medicating with Odium.  However given that he chose this path knowing the consequences his actions are just as contemptible as ever.  He chose his own peace of mind over his friends well being.

Exactly, and that's putting it very lightly when he killed that friend and his spren. Those things can't simply be rationalized with "he's a drug addict". Being addicted to drugs alone doesn't make you slaughter your friends and try to make them kill themselves. He's sunken far lower than that.