Nistar

Nice catch. Brandon is known for utilizing different languages at times, including Hebrew, in a number of occasions. Because of a spelling error in one of his books, I first thought that Adonalsium had an extra 'i' instead of an "L", making it an even more obvious Hebrew term for God. Then when I saw another book replace the "i" with the "L", I did some research and got a little less excited. Though it is still a pretty close match.

Edit: After a quick search in the book, it actually says "Adonasium". Not an extra "i" but a missing "L". Doesn't really change much, but just clarifying.

Edited by HoidvsVoid

31 minutes ago, HoidvsVoid said:

Nice catch. Brandon is known for utilizing different languages at times, including Hebrew, in a number of occasions. Because of a spelling error in one of his books, I first thought that Adonalsium had an extra 'i' instead of an "L", making it an even more obvious Hebrew term for God. Then when I saw another book replace the "i" with the "L", I did some research and got a little less excited. Though it is still a pretty close match.

he has two jewish editors which helps; also a lot of what he does is getting close but not exact; for example the fused have the hebrew masculine suffix -im when plural; in addition, shamayim means heaven, and the Heavenly ones are Shanay-im; close, but not exact. That ignoring the fact the Shadows for Silence (and the rest of the title) is a story very loosely based off the jewish laws of sabbath. I saw some other things but i can't remember off the top of my head.

another thing: The Masked ones are called mavset-im (there might not be a T) and in hebrew, a mask could be called a masveh

the deepest ones are called maka-im and a word for depths in hebrew is amak

the flowing ones are shetel-im and in hebrew, flow is shetef. very similar.

many of the calligraphic phonemes match their hebrew counterparts

if found another one: nistar's partner is the light one or something like that and his name starts with ur, which means light. Also urithiru is a tower with its own light, and it's in a place originally known as ur.

Edited by Hoid the Drifter

Good catches, @Hoid the Drifter!

For anyone who's curious, here is where they were mentioned:

“The Pursuer has found the Windrunner’s parents, Ancient One,” Venli said. “I’m certain of it. He posted two nightform Regals at the Radiant infirmary.”
“Which ones?”
“Urialin and Nistar.”
“‘Light’ and ‘mystery,’” Leshwi said, translating their names from the ancient language. Like many of the Regals, they had taken new names for themselves upon their awakening.

Edited by Honorless

On 12/14/2020 at 2:44 PM, Hoid the Drifter said:

Did anyone catch the fact that "nistar" is the hebrew word for hidden or mysterious, and that the fused named nistar actually has this title?

Yup! 14 years of Jewish education paying off :P 

Edited by coolsnow7

On 12/14/2020 at 9:01 PM, Hoid the Drifter said:

Also urithiru is a tower with its own light, and it's in a place originally known as ur.

I took the information of Ur being the original name to correlate to the Mesopotamian City/State of Ur where the Ziggurat of Ur was built. 

Ur has been at times linked to the biblical town of Abraham, though some scholars believe that is a different city named Ura or Urfa. 

Edited by FollowYourMuse

• 1 month later...