Iapetus the Titan

Burning a shardblade

3 posts in this topic

So, I know that it's possible for a Mistborn to burn a shardblade, but this is my question. If you were a Mistborn and a Knight Radiant, (like Hoid) could you burn a shardblade without summoning the blade into the physical realm? Would this only work for shard-bearers that aren't Knights? Would this harm your spren? 

No, assuming you worked out the required Connections to get another Shard's godmetal to work in the Metallic Arts, you would have to get the investiture to actually manifest in the physical realm as a Godmetal to engage the Allomantic mechanisms and burn it. 

Practically speaking, it would be a lot easier to do with broken pieces of Shardplate that can be regenerated, compared to the Blades that dont typically take any damage or have normal mechanisms to repair.  

That being said, it is technically possible to fuel Allomancy directly from the Mists, rather than metals, so non-standard sources of Investiture can substitute int he right circumstances. Various WOB's mention that it would take some effort to convert the Investiture before Stormlight could be used to fuel Allomancy, for example, and that getting Allomancy is one of the harder systems to fuel with other Investiture.  

1 hour ago, Iapetus the Titan said:

Would this harm your spren? 

Since the Shardblade is the spren made manifest in the Physical Realm and we know that the reason they have to be in one piece is because division would mean splitting their soul, I think it's safe to say that yes, they would experience some form of pain from that.

We also see Wyndle-as-a-'blade' reacting with pain in Edgedancer when he's hit by Nale's own Shardblade, though that could just be dramatics on his part. But assuming it's not, burning the metal would obviously be a lot more painful.

Edited by Ookla the Crimson King