The depressed people club (Aka, everyone living in 2020)

Well, this is probably a terrible idea, but screw it, I'm doing this. So this club if for anyone going through depression, people who have gone through depression, people who think they may have gone or going through depression (Because yes, it's possible to not know you're going through it or have gone through it.) or for people just generally curious about depression. 

You can share your stories/experiences with depression, ask questions or help, or just come to talk to people when you're in a crap mood and need to be somewhere where people will get where you're coming from.

Feel free to ask me about my experiences or for advice (though be aware that I will be trying to give advice based on my experiences and I am not a professional and my word is therefore NOT that of gospel.) I hope some of you will feel comfortable enough to share your experiences. And if you're not, you can talk about characters like Kaladin who are going through depression and how that affects you and what you think about it.

1 hour ago, Chasmgoat said:

Not depressed, but living in 2020...

actually, I think this has been a great year personally.

1 hour ago, Ookla the Grammatical said:

*agreement*

This is the year I joined the Shard, how could it not be amazing?

I will say, 2020 is a very mixed bag as I have many reasons to like quarantine, so I know where you guys are coming from. Great things can come from misery, even if it's not your misery.

I've dealt with some depression. It hasn't been much of an issue the past year or two (thank goodness), but my anxiety is really being a pain.

And I've personally really enjoyed 2020 for some reasons, but have also hated it. I mean, at the beginning of quarantine, I read about twenty books in two months.

And then my birds died.

But now I have Kaladin!

Who is still sick.

But we can't forget to mention that RoW came out!

Or the fact that I've been in a constant state of terror and stress that school might shut down!

Or that I've been more active on the Shard and am now far more comfortable interacting with people on here than I have in the past, making up for the fact that I am beginning to realize that my friends and I really aren't as close as I thought we were. But I also have realized that one friend and I are actually a lot closer than I have realized before (partly because we've both grown up a ton), which is super nice.

I've also rediscovered how storming awesome swords are.

All in all, some great things have happened, but at the expense of a lot of others.

It doesn't help the anxiety, though. 

Yep. There's my thing, I guess.

2020 has been kind of weird for me because my mental health is doing like 10 times better than it was before. I love being able to be a hermit in my room and no one being able to judge me for it. Last year I was so stressed and miserable because I kept being dragged into social situations and I tend to panic and get overwhelmed around people. I get really claustrophobic in crowds and it can lead to panic attacks, so now I can't even be in situation where there's a crowd and it's storming amazing. 

Two years ago I also had what I think was situational depression, but I'm not really sure if that's the right term for it. All I know is that the whole year was really bad for me and I ended up in therapy. But luckily I only felt that horrible for a short amount of time, and after that I've been doing fine. Also if you look at my Shard profile you can kinda see that I suddenly stopped posting sometime in 2018, and that's because that's around the time when I just gave up on doing everything I enjoyed. I kind of joke sometimes about how my account is three years old and I haven't posted that much... but the sad truth is my account's like that because I was severely depressed for a while and didn't have the motivation to do anything at all.

Anyways, I don't know why I wrote this. I'm doing really good right now; the chaos of 2020 has actually helped me relax a lot and I'm so much happier. Life before death! :D

4 hours ago, weiss_kwispies said:

2020 has been kind of weird for me because my mental health is doing like 10 times better than it was before. I love being able to be a hermit in my room and no one being able to judge me for it. Last year I was so stressed and miserable because I kept being dragged into social situations and I tend to panic and get overwhelmed around people. I get really claustrophobic in crowds and it can lead to panic attacks, so now I can't even be in situation where there's a crowd and it's storming amazing. 

Two years ago I also had what I think was situational depression, but I'm not really sure if that's the right term for it. All I know is that the whole year was really bad for me and I ended up in therapy. But luckily I only felt that horrible for a short amount of time, and after that I've been doing fine. Also if you look at my Shard profile you can kinda see that I suddenly stopped posting sometime in 2018, and that's because that's around the time when I just gave up on doing everything I enjoyed. I kind of joke sometimes about how my account is three years old and I haven't posted that much... but the sad truth is my account's like that because I was severely depressed for a while and didn't have the motivation to do anything at all.

Anyways, I don't know why I wrote this. I'm doing really good right now; the chaos of 2020 has actually helped me relax a lot and I'm so much happier. Life before death! :D

8 hours ago, Ookla the Rōnin said:

I've dealt with some depression. It hasn't been much of an issue the past year or two (thank goodness), but my anxiety is really being a pain.

And I've personally really enjoyed 2020 for some reasons, but have also hated it. I mean, at the beginning of quarantine, I read about twenty books in two months.

And then my birds died.

But now I have Kaladin!

Who is still sick.

But we can't forget to mention that RoW came out!

Or the fact that I've been in a constant state of terror and stress that school might shut down!

Or that I've been more active on the Shard and am now far more comfortable interacting with people on here than I have in the past, making up for the fact that I am beginning to realize that my friends and I really aren't as close as I thought we were. But I also have realized that one friend and I are actually a lot closer than I have realized before (partly because we've both grown up a ton), which is super nice.

I've also rediscovered how storming awesome swords are.

All in all, some great things have happened, but at the expense of a lot of others.

It doesn't help the anxiety, though. 

Yep. There's my thing, I guess.

hey, it's interesting to know how Quarantine has helped people. I certainly loved it at the start and still like it right now, there just a few downsides I get annoyed by. And like I said, this is a place for people who are going through depression and have gone through it, your story might help somebody.

20 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Do you mean dreading Christmas or just not caring?

Dreading is a strong word, but December/January is always a rough time for my family. You can PM @Aspiring Writer  me if your curious, I dont mind ralking about my reasons, I'd just rather not discuss them in a public place. 

Just now, Lecky Twig said:

Dreading is a strong word, but December/January is always a rough time for my family. You can PM @Aspiring Writer  me if your curious, I dont mind ralking about my reasons, I'd just rather not discuss them in a public place. 

Hmm, I''ll consider. I will say I don't care about Christmas except for a day I get to do nothing, but December and January are difficult months for me to, so I get the sentiment.

3 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

So, to all of my depressed people, I wish you a Merry Christmas, and to those of you who don't like Christmas, then I wish you good luck getting through today.

Thanks for the luck! 

Spoiler

Jk, I love Christmas. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Condensation said:

*precisely

I think she's asking if she can be here if she's only depressed about one week a month.

@Kingsdaughter613 if that's the case, yes you can definitely be year. I'm only depressed three months of the year and normally fine the rest, and I mentioned you can be here if you're curious.