Mid-Range Game 47: Conflict of Superiority

Elandera

Guest Breaker
5 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Yeah, I joined the Shard while reading WoT, thus my username. I still haven't finished it, having put it down book 11 in boredom.

Matrim's Dice is a darkfriend.

Edited by Breaker

24 minutes ago, Quinn0928 said:

Actually, I had a question about this as well: if a Figment targets the DS, does the Figment see that person's investigation for the cycle? If so, does the Figment see both the investigation and any action the DS might take? And does a Figment see elim-kills?

Basically, can a Figment be used as a kind of alignment scanner

Edit: @Elandera?

Because the research functionally works as a bonus action, it will not appear in a Figment scan. Elim kills will not be differentiated from the Tenasi Pilot kill.

Not that it would actually matter... Figments, if you see someone kill and there's only one kill that cycle, they're almost certainly an elim. If there are two kills there's still a 50% chance.

Edit: So maybe say something, if that happens.

Edited by Quinn0928

Niki walked to the nearest water garden. It wasn't far off from the assembly room, and she could be back early before the debates began. She watched the children play chasing the floating balls of water. Their joy helped center her. This was why she volunteered to join the council. The council, she thought, What should I do? My people come first...

Hello! I'm super excited to be here for my first time and roleplay a bit. 

Current Vote Tally:

Archer (1): Araris
Snipexe (1): Archer
Ventyl (1): Striker
Matrim (1): Breaker
Ashbringer (1): Xino

A five-way tie. Were the cycle to end here, all five would die. A scenario we have twenty seven hours to avert.

People who have not posted on this cycle are @Ookla the Shadowed and @Somebody from Sel. Neither have been active since the game began, so I'll withhold voting on them for now.

I'm getting a strange vibe from Quinn, but I've never played with them before, so take that with a grain of salt.

Matrim seems pretty village to me. Lots of contribution, very good, yes yes.

Breaker seems quite village. 

Araris is his usual murdery self. :P

I don't really have anything solid yet. I suppose I'll poke Ashbringer, given that they seem to be on currently. @Ashbringer

Edited by xinoehp512

1 minute ago, xinoehp512 said:

A five-way tie. Were the cycle to end here, all five would die. A scenario we have twenty seven hours to avert.

Looking at the current count all five votes- except possibly Araris'- are poke/joke votes. Sooooo I doubt it will stay, but we probably should veer into actual exe discussion. :P 

Agree on Breaker, they seem village. If they are elim, I would maybe stick Quinn in that team as well, but as of now they both seem fine to me. I'll reread what's been posted so far and return with further thoughts, maybe an actual vote.

33 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

I don't really have anything solid yet. I suppose I'll poke Ashbringer, given that they seem to be on currently. @Ashbringer

... I was? 30 minutes ago?

I’ve been out and about all day (am currently looking at the Conjunction, using the very professional method of phone camera + binocular lens), so I’ve been checking the thread slightly but not paying severe attention. Also, I just started RoW, so... yeah.

I’ll try to post some thoughts later tonight.

Guest Breaker
2 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

Breaker seems quite village.

This is admittedly rather bland-sounding and provincial. I request to be referred to as "loyal," if you please, as the symbol of my dedication to our cause. 

Well, the reset shifts things around a bit, but it looks like most people are still here. @BrightEyes2 is the only one who hasn't posted as far as I can see, but I think I've seen them viewing the thread. (Then again, Xino saw me viewing the thread when as far as I can tell I wasn't so... who knows.)

I don't really like guessing on Elim counts, but I'd think four is good. The Detrius Spy shouldn't really be taken as an extra elim in distribution, because that's... not the point of the ability. Plus they need to die. And I'm guessing three Elims is too small, considering LG67 (which was an LG, but still... a three-Elim team can fall apart pretty quickly, especially with action scanners). But I'd prefer to overestimate how many Elims there are than underestimate it. Five would be significant - game would end in three mis-exes, essentially - but depending on roles it wouldn't be the most outlandish thing I've seen.

The holidays mean that not a lot of people are posting (surprise), and most of those have legitimate / blue-text reasons alongside them. Matrim, Quinn, and Breaker are the three who've posted a lot, with Araris trailing behind and most others having 1-2 posts in total.

Breaker - a new player, brought in by Gears, and I can see a lot of similarities between the two. I'd be curious to know if you've played a forum mafia before, because you seem to have adapted to it quite well in some places, but are less knowledgeable in others. Not knowing about the Elim doc seems a bit... eh. It's not something a new player would know well but it's also... it seemed more surprising than it felt? I'll wait and see I guess. I'm not gonna make a judgement on 24 hours of content.

Quinn - I'm... not entirely sure. A bit different, but I have a feeling that you're missing your open PMs.

Matrim - seems very much like the Mat I'm used to, but I've been Elim with him before and as far as I can tell he doesn't really flip around in playstyles with different alignments. His multiquotes do seem... unusual, however.

(In case you haven't noticed, I'm really not that good at D1 analysis).

I'd also like to echo what Breaker mentioned about the danger of ties. Honestly, I'd rather see us as a Village agree to avoid ties at a whole, but there's probably a side I'm not seeing. But giving the elims an extra kill via Cambric abilities (or Dione ones)

But I'll poke Straw. You're one of the Old Guard of SE, but you haven't been saying much. Any thoughts? @Straw

5 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

Quinn - I'm... not entirely sure. A bit different, but I have a feeling that you're missing your open PMs.

Yuuuupppp I am in fact. Heklos... I mean, I guess you don't have any particular reason to but I would appreciate it if you would open a PM or two for me? Please and thank you? :rolleyes:

Also, I'm attempting to not respond to every post because I have been informed and have noticed that it makes it kind of hard to reread the thread for analysis later, and most of the stuff I say contains little substance. (I don't know how well I'm doing at posting less, but I'm trying at least.)

6 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

I don't really like guessing on Elim counts, but I'd think four is good. The Detrius Spy shouldn't really be taken as an extra elim in distribution, because that's... not the point of the ability. Plus they need to die. And I'm guessing three Elims is too small, considering LG67 (which was an LG, but still... a three-Elim team can fall apart pretty quickly, especially with action scanners).

Noting that that was LG68, not LG67, and the main problem with that was that there was an insane amount of action scans (over half of the playerlist iirc), so two of us were outed by them. That was also a LG, which are significantly more village-sided, and there was no chance of getting a convert from the Spy.

6 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

But I'll poke Straw. You're one of the Old Guard of SE, but you haven't been saying much. Any thoughts? @Straw

Okay, hmm, I admittedly haven't been that involved. Here are some thoughts.

I would echo the anti-tie side. It essentially allows vote manipulation to control the vote, and I think the elims will likely have vote manipulation.

Some initial reads on people:
Quinn - very mild village - prompted for detailed explanations
Snipexe - very mild elim - promises content late, could just be trying to dodge poke-votes
Breaker - mild village - good opening post, feels like a new elim would be more hesitant
Matrim - very mild elim - "brainstorming elim strats isn't the greatest look" feels off to me
Araris - very mild elim - ignored vote manipulation messing with ties
Snipexe - mild elim - says no chance of finding elim C1, continues to emphasize lack of knowledge now

So roughly:
Breaker - mild village
Quinn - very mild village
Araris - very mild elim
Matrim - very mild elim
Snipexe - mild elim

I think I'll throw a vote on Snipexe.

7 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

Matrim - seems very much like the Mat I'm used to, but I've been Elim with him before and as far as I can tell he doesn't really flip around in playstyles with different alignments. His multiquotes do seem... unusual, however.

Don't know what that means, but sure I guess :P 

1 hour ago, Quinn0928 said:

Also, I'm attempting to not respond to every post because I have been informed and have noticed that it makes it kind of hard to reread the thread for analysis later, and most of the stuff I say contains little substance. (I don't know how well I'm doing at posting less, but I'm trying at least.)

Literally me every game xD

1 hour ago, Straw said:

Matrim - very mild elim - "brainstorming elim strats isn't the greatest look" feels off to me

When I type 90% of the time it is what it would be if I were just talking. I think that particular line was in response to Breaker saying they knew it didn't look good themselves, and I was agreeing, like 'hey, that's true, but also an elim would probably put it in the doc, not the thread'.

1 hour ago, Straw said:

Snipexe - mild elim - says no chance of finding elim C1, continues to emphasize lack of knowledge now

While I disagree with Snipexe's view, I don't think it's necessarily AI, at least not now.

Agree with the majority on Breaker and Quinn. Ash's analysis seems good, though I nearly always have a village read on Ash.

I'll join Ash on voting Straw, though mine is not a poke. It also is not a response to his read on me. It's founded on the grounds that the reads list is mostly composed of things already said, with that dreaded pinch of gut that cannot be ignored :P.

I probably will be available for the next few hours, but I won't be this evening or tomorrow much, if at all. Merry Christmas!

Guest Breaker
7 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

Breaker - a new player, brought in by Gears, and I can see a lot of similarities between the two. I'd be curious to know if you've played a forum mafia before, because you seem to have adapted to it quite well in some places, but are less knowledgeable in others. Not knowing about the Elim doc seems a bit... eh. It's not something a new player would know well but it's also... it seemed more surprising than it felt? I'll wait and see I guess. I'm not gonna make a judgement on 24 hours of content.

I have not played a forum mafia before. I know what the elim doc is, but I had confused myself. Not super used to the terminology, so that wording made me think maybe someone kept a Google doc that maintained information about players of SE. I maintained something of the sort in high school for a series of Skype groups I moderated. But I’m trying to acclimate to the jargon, even if I rather hate jargon, and I understand why such a joke as I made might seem as though it came through the DPS’ private coms. apologies for my haste and clumsiness in replies.

I will reiterate, by the way, my desire in being called “loyal,” rather than “village.” It may seem arbitrary and petty to you, but I don’t have a retort to that accusation, so please don’t make it. I’d look dumb. 

21 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

I'll join Ash on voting Straw, though mine is not a poke. It also is not a response to his read on me. It's founded on the grounds that the reads list is mostly composed of things already said, with that dreaded pinch of gut that cannot be ignored :P.

I'm confused about what you want me to do, since I'm not going to fabricate reads out of NAI posts just so I can avoid repeating stuff. Also, looking at my post, I don't think that I was particularly repetitive of other people, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Edited by Straw
typo

1 minute ago, Straw said:

I'm confused about what you want me to do, since I'm not going to fabricate reads out of NAI posts just so I can avoid repeating stuff. Also, looking at my post, I don't think that I was particularly repetitive of other people, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Like I said, there is gut involved. D1 it'd be hard to not have that. But here's what I was referencing:

*Proceeds to not find anything*

...Okay, I have no idea what I was referencing. I see stuff others said in there, but your recent post makes a very good point. I rescind my vote ( Straw ) but the gut still is there if admittedly the reasoning is not. Sorry about that, I've confused myself.

I might just not vote. I doubt I'll check back in around rollover. Lemme skim the thread real quick... 

I've been accused of being to... easy to convince, and that is... definitely warranted. But I agree with the majority of Straw's reads. I think I'll keep a vote off, but Snipexe's post looked more elim this readthrough.

38 minutes ago, Breaker said:

I have not played a forum mafia before. I know what the elim doc is, but I had confused myself. Not super used to the terminology, so that wording made me think maybe someone kept a Google doc that maintained information about players of SE. I maintained something of the sort in high school for a series of Skype groups I moderated. But I’m trying to acclimate to the jargon, even if I rather hate jargon, and I understand why such a joke as I made might seem as though it came through the DPS’ private coms. apologies for my haste and clumsiness in replies.

I will reiterate, by the way, my desire in being called “loyal,” rather than “village.” It may seem arbitrary and petty to you, but I don’t have a retort to that accusation, so please don’t make it. I’d look dumb. 

Alright, Breaker the Loyal :P

Actually, some people do keep profiles of every player they've ever interacted with. I don't have that kind of patience or time, and don't understand how anyone else does... but apparently some do?

43 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Agree with the majority on Breaker and Quinn. Ash's analysis seems good, though I nearly always have a village read on Ash.

I agree with you on Ash, though I've never actually played with elim!Ash so take my opinion with a grain (or a spoonful) of salt. Breaker seems pretty village to me as well, mostly because I stand by my assumption that an elim new player would be advised by the more experienced elims to take advantage of being new, either through inactivity or feigned incompetence, and for the most part Breaker has demonstrated neither of those things. (and of course I agree with you on me as well ;))

43 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Okay well I had written up a whole thing about how ties are bad and how this is unfortunate, but since you've rescinded the vote I guess it's irrelevant. I will say part of what I had before though, which is:

Since I don't really have solid D1 reads, and in the past I've regretted most or all of the D1 votes that I've cast, I'm going to refrain from voting this cycle. However, since I have no solid D1 reads I would be equally amenable to X-ing anyone, so if there is a close vote towards the end, I'll vote for whomever has more votes, and if there's a tie I'll vote to help break it.

11 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

I've been accused of being to... easy to convince, and that is... definitely warranted. But I agree with the majority of Straw's reads. I think I'll keep a vote off, but Snipexe's post looked more elim this readthrough.

Mostly because I'm too lazy to look back over the thread, and partly because... well, because I'm too lazy to look back over the thread, what is it about Snipexe's posts that reads elim? It has something to do with delaying saying stuff, right?

11 minutes ago, Ghanderflaffle said:

I mean hey, we could always do the death pact. 

NO. Just NO.

Edit: I started off writing this only in response to Breaker... and then noticed that Matrim had also posted (somehow I missed that when I first looked at the thread : P)... and then more people posted... and then more people posted... anyway, this wasn't supposed to be this long but it ended up that way somehow XD

Edited by Quinn0928

Guest Breaker

So long as your standby is in the service of preventing ties, I shall have no issue with it. 

What is the death pact?

Edited by Breaker

5 minutes ago, Breaker said:

So long as your standby is in the service of preventing ties, I shall have no issue with it. 

What is the death pact?

The death pact is an idea proposed in QF48 (which had the same rule about ties). Ghander and I were both elims in QF48, so we were both secretly kind of in favor of it? But like. I kinda wanted my first elim game to last more than one day XD

Basically, the idea was that everyone would vote for one other person, so that there would be a tie between everyone and everyone would die. In that game, the GM had confirmed that if everyone died at the same time, the village would win. However, the obvious flaw with that was that the elims could just remove their votes last-minute, or vote-manip to safety. And then we would have won.

18 minutes ago, Quinn0928 said:

The death pact is an idea proposed in QF48 (which had the same rule about ties). Ghander and I were both elims in QF48, so we were both secretly kind of in favor of it? But like. I kinda wanted my first elim game to last more than one day XD

Basically, the idea was that everyone would vote for one other person, so that there would be a tie between everyone and everyone would die. In that game, the GM had confirmed that if everyone died at the same time, the village would win. However, the obvious flaw with that was that the elims could just remove their votes last-minute, or vote-manip to safety. And then we would have won.

It was kinda fun to read through. That was a very successful elim game, nobody was overly suspicious of any of us until the end.

Aaanyways, this game I should probably say something. I’m not reading anybody as elim yet, but I’m keeping an eye on things and watching for any warning signs.