Mid-Range Game 47: Conflict of Superiority

Elandera

Just now, Breaker said:

PM safety?

PM safety, not claiming in PMs. A bad example of this would be saying your role to the first person you talk to in PMs without thinking about it.

I repeat my question, who told you Araris was dangerous?

4 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Haha yeah that's a fair reason. From what I've seen reading older games the meta has changed a bit (...or maybe a lot, depending on what) so this makes sense. I almost didn't call you out, it seemed such a small thing. I'm glad I did though, now I know the reasoning behind the post.

I'll poke Dannex. Come and play, @Dannex

I was about to say “hey what? I already posted! Why you poking me?” but turns out I only posted in the broken thread, not this one. :P

So yay I exist now.

2 minutes ago, Dannex said:

I was about to say “hey what? I already posted! Why you poking me?” but turns out I only posted in the broken thread, not this one. :P

So yay I exist now.

:waves:

Salutations, Dannex. Any thoughts?

Edit: @Quinn0928, fair. I'm not going to discount it though :P.

Edited by Matrim's Dice

17 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

:waves:

Salutations, Dannex. Any thoughts?

Not yet, still re-reading the rules and the thread. 

Edit: Ok, I’m done. I do think we should assume 4 Elims, 3 seems a bit too low. And like someone said, better to overestimate than underestimate. Don’t have any reads on people yet, just a mild “hmmmmmm” feeling for some people.

Edited by Dannex

20 minutes ago, Dannex said:

Edit: Ok, I’m done. I do think we should assume 4 Elims, 3 seems a bit too low. And like someone said, better to overestimate than underestimate. Don’t have any reads on people yet, just a mild “hmmmmmm” feeling for some people.

Can I ask which people give you this mild "hmmmmm" feeling?

14 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

While I appreciate the sentiment here, a double execution isn't necessarily a bad thing. For starters, in past games, players who are voted on D1 tend to get voted out later if they don't die the first time around, so a double execute saves us a future execution. Also, the vote is where the village has power. So by executing multiple people at once, we get proportionally greater power over the elims. If we force the elims to reveal themselves to manipulate the vote, all the better. That's half the point of executing people in the first place.

I disagree with this. While it is true that the village's voting is what gives it power, I don't think a double execution is necessarily a good idea this early in the game. The probability of discovering a legitimate Elim first cycle is practically 0. There's no evidence of actions, there hasn't been a vote-out yet meaning we don't know any roles/alignments, and there haven't been any pms yet. The village vote is effectively random chance C1. Gaining information is important, either via vote manip or on-death role reveals. However, it also means people are dying. Our chance of killing villagers this cycle is much higher than hitting elims with a kill, and every village kill is a step closer to Lylo. Having more random kills now rather than informed kills later doesn't really help us. The information we get now won't be as good as the information we could get later. I think double kills can be good, for all the reasons you listed. I just think random double kills aren't. 

Because Gears can’t post his classic role analysis post that he does every game, allow me to take a shot at it. 

Figment- I’m not entirely sure what this role does actually, wording is a little vague. Do you discover the type of action a person took, but not who it was on? I believe so. My only advice is to not do the same person twice in a row, seems like that would most likely be a waste. 

Dione Leader- Pretty classic vote remover, and I’ll just echo what some people said earlier, please don’t vote manip us into ties, that rarely ends well. It really depends on the scenario, but in most cases I’d say ties are bad with this ruleset. 

Varvax Leader- Your classic doctor/healer role, with the twist that you can’t protect the same person twice in a row. I haven’t seen that before. Maybe try to find another person with the same role and you can stagger your protections on people?

Tenasi Pilot- This is a very interesting role, a kill role with 2 kills per game. I doubt we have more than one or two of these to balance that out. My only advice is to be careful with your kills. Having 2 instead of only 1 might make some people more trigger-happy. Don’t do that. Think a lot about your kills before you use them.

Heklo- I’ve never seen a role like this before, so I really don’t have any input. Very curious to see how this manifests throughout the game. 

Cambric- Another vote manip role. Basically the same advice as before, stay away from ties. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a role the Elims have, so I think we should stay far away from ties ouselves, because having a secret vote like this could help the Elims tie the vote quite a lot. 

22 minutes ago, Quinn0928 said:

Can I ask which people give you this mild "hmmmmm" feeling?

Just some of the new people. Trying to figure out their playstyle. Also just a tiny little bit Matrim, because they seem to be doing more poke votes than they normally do. Again, barely a read at all, just...”hmmmmmm”

Guest Breaker

Being honest, go ahead and vote me, but I'm withholding because I didn't get that person's permission to spill their half-joking reactions. Perhaps later, perhaps not. Sorry. 

7 minutes ago, Dannex said:

Figment- I’m not entirely sure what this role does actually, wording is a little vague. Do you discover the type of action a person took, but not who it was on? I believe so. My only advice is to not do the same person twice in a row, seems like that would most likely be a waste. 

Actually, I had a question about this as well: if a Figment targets the DS, does the Figment see that person's investigation for the cycle? If so, does the Figment see both the investigation and any action the DS might take? And does a Figment see elim-kills?

Basically, can a Figment be used as a kind of alignment scanner

Edit: @Elandera?

Edited by Quinn0928

14 minutes ago, Snipexe said:

I disagree with this. While it is true that the village's voting is what gives it power, I don't think a double execution is necessarily a good idea this early in the game. The probability of discovering a legitimate Elim first cycle is practically 0. There's no evidence of actions, there hasn't been a vote-out yet meaning we don't know any roles/alignments, and there haven't been any pms yet. The village vote is effectively random chance C1. Gaining information is important, either via vote manip or on-death role reveals. However, it also means people are dying. Our chance of killing villagers this cycle is much higher than hitting elims with a kill, and every village kill is a step closer to Lylo. Having more random kills now rather than informed kills later doesn't really help us. The information we get now won't be as good as the information we could get later. I think double kills can be good, for all the reasons you listed. I just think random double kills aren't. 

I dislike the mindset that C1 is a lost cause. I've seen plenty of games, on this forum and on others, where C1 successfully yields evil fruit. Admitting defeat before even beginning analyzation is just a victory for the elims. It's only random chance if we let it be.

8 minutes ago, Dannex said:

Just some of the new people. Trying to figure out their playstyle. Also just a tiny little bit Matrim, because they seem to be doing more poke votes than they normally do. Again, barely a read at all, just...”hmmmmmm”

Which new people? :P 

More poke votes? I've only done one, and that's on you. I'd say that's typical of me. My vote on Breaker isn't a poke vote.

6 minutes ago, Breaker said:

Being honest, go ahead and vote me, but I'm withholding because I didn't get that person's permission to spill their half-joking reactions. Perhaps later, perhaps not. Sorry. 

I don't know what to make of this, honestly. You being a new player threw me off a little bit, but it seems you joined the Shard long before me and have probably been in contact with SE people for longer than I have as well, which I had initially missed when assuming there was nowhere for you to have heard Araris' reputation other than this game's elim doc. Therefore, Breaker.

Edited by Matrim's Dice
Clarification

Guest Breaker

I didn't even know there was an elim doc. Also, I was a huge wheel of time fan growing up. Glad to see someone with a referential name. 

Edited by Breaker

1 minute ago, Breaker said:

I didn't even know there was an elim doc. 

Oh. Right. The elims always (almost always?) have access to a Google doc where they can communicate, plan, and generally create evil happenings, all the while free from the prying eyes and ears of the village. 

Edit: It'll be posted at the end of the game, in the Aftermath. imo one of the best parts of an SE game is Ctrl+Fing your name in the elim doc to see what they said about you.

Edited by Quinn0928

3 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

More poke votes? I've only done one, and that's on you. I'd say that's typical of me. My vote on Breaker isn't a poke vote.

Ah, I see that now. I rescind my “hmmmm” feeling. :P

3 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Which new people?

Uh, Snipexe, Breaker, Striker, just the people who have posted and I haven’t played with before. 

2 minutes ago, Dannex said:

Uh, Snipexe, Breaker, Striker, just the people who have posted and I haven’t played with before. 

*blink* *blink* I was under the impression that Snipexe and Striker were returning players, not new ones?

Edit: ninja'd by Matrim. I was correct, it seems.

Edited by Quinn0928

2 minutes ago, Breaker said:

I didn't even know there was an elim doc. Also, I was a huge wheel of time fan growing up. Glad to see someone with a referential name. 

Yeah, I joined the Shard while reading WoT, thus my username. I still haven't finished it, having put it down book 11 in boredom.

1 minute ago, Dannex said:

Only one of those is actually a new player ;) 

Just now, Quinn0928 said:

*blink* *blink* I was under the impression that Snipexe and Striker were returning players, not new ones?

Just now, Matrim's Dice said:

Only one of those is actually a new player ;) 

Emphasis on “that I haven’t played with before

they’re new to me.