Mid-Range Game 47: Conflict of Superiority

Elandera

"We've been suppressing the human scourge for decades, yet they only grow stronger." The dione's voice rang out clearly through the senate chambers.

Kaviq snapped their claws, dismissive of the comment. However, they were of primary intelligence and restrained from chaotic outcry. Loud arguments and aggression were for lesser species. It meant civil discourse and opportunities for every member to speak. Even dione assistants who, in Kaviq's opinion, would be better off keeping their mouths shut.

"And whose fault is that?" rebutted one of Kaviq's companions. They kept their voice even, lacking true accusation, though the implication remained. "The Department of Protective Services has had its hands tied by those in Species Integration. But every encounter with the humans prove they cannot be rehabilitated."

"Is annihilation the best recourse?" It was another member of the DSI. A varvax, as far as Kaviq could tell.

"They are a threat," Kaviq finally said. "To the entire Superiority, and even those outside our protection. If humans are allowed to continue, they will invite the Delvers to return. To consume everything we've spent these many centuries building."

A new voice cut in, causing Kaviq to cut off any further argument. It was Winzik, the head of the DPS. "Which is why I propose a new project. Those at the DSI want to bring in lesser species, do you not? Give them a chance to prove they can be truly peaceful beings?" Winzik paused, looking around at each member of the senate in turn. Their certified human stood just behind them, an unspoken reminder of the constant human threat. "Bring them here. Offer them a place within the Superiority. Train them to channel their aggressive tendencies towards fighting Delvers. If we cannot stop humans without annihilation of their species, then we must learn to stop the threat they invite."

The same dione as before swept two fingers to the side, suggesting disbelief. "What do you gain from this proposal, Winzik? Surely you don't expect us to believe it's because you want the citizenry of the Superiority to be more inclusive. Don't you consider lesser species to be a threat?"

Winzik bowed their head. "The humans are getting closer to developing their own FTL technology. My only interest is in protecting the Superiority from any threats."

Welcome to MR47: Conflict of Supriority! Here is a link to the rules for easier viewing, though I will list them below as well. This is based on Starsight, the sequel to Skyward. There are some spoilers in the ruleset, but it shouldn't ruin the book if you haven't read it yet.

Basic Rules:

Spoiler
  • 48-hour cycles (day/night combined)
  • PMs are closed (except when opened through roles)
  • Every cycle there will be a vote to remove someone from office
    • There is no vote minimum
    • Everyone in a tied vote will be removed
  • There is a two-cycle inactivity filter
    • Players will be removed/replaced if they don’t post at least once
    • PMs and Actions do not count

Alignments:

Spoiler

Department of Species Integration - You believe in a more inclusive Superiority. Recent events have made you concerned about some members of the Department of Protective Services and their plans for the Superiority’s future. Find the ones planning a coup and remove them all from their stations in order to maintain the Superiority’s peaceful state.

Department of Protective Services - Something needs to change. Your job is to maintain peace, but the human scourge is threatening all that you’ve vowed to protect. More extreme measures are in order, but the Department of Species Integration stands in your way. They must fall. Remove them all from office in order to clear the way for your final victory over the humans. (All DSI members must be removed, or the DPS must reach a point in majority where they can no longer be stopped, such as by vote manipulation, protects, or kill.)

• DPS members have secret channels of communication (they will have a doc). 
  • Every cycle, your team has access to a Suppression action. This authorizes you to send a Suppressor to quell your opponents. While usually used on those who publicly speak against the Superiority, times call for more extreme measures. Suppressors will toss your opponents into the Nowhere, removing them from the game.
  • The DPS will gain a member, chosen randomly from the ranks of the DSI, if the Detritus Spy is killed or voted out of office.

Detritus Spy - You have stepped into a war you couldn’t possibly imagine. Not a war of destructor beams and IMPs, but of words and political maneuvering. Your whole goal is to steal Superiority technology. That goal is now overshadowed by a more basic need: survival.

• Every turn, you can do research into the Superiority’s hyperdrive technology by questioning a target player. You have a 50% chance of receiving a piece of information that leads you to learning the secret, but a 5% chance of being considered suspicious.
    • If the player becomes suspicious, you will be unable to research the next turn.
    • If the target is Cambric, the chance to discover a clue increases to 75%.
    • After you receive four clues, you have enough knowledge to make it back home. If this occurs, you win and will be removed from the game.
  • Because of their advanced personal hologram projector, if the spy receives a clue from a player with a role, they will gain the ability to disguise themselves as that person and thus gain that role’s ability for the remainder of the game.
    • The spy may use one of these abilities each cycle in addition to the research questioning.
  • Barring discovery of hyperdrive technology, you must survive to the end of the game in order to win.

Roles:

Spoiler

Figment: Unseen and incorporeal, Figments are the perfect spies. Their only indication is a trace of a smell, which you can change to make your presence less conspicuous.

• Once a cycle, you can follow someone and discover what they action they took that turn

Dione Leader: Your species was among the first to receive primary intelligence. Since then, they have helped lead the Superiority. You are among the leaders in your species, thus giving you more sway in the government workings.

• Once a cycle, you can remove a player’s vote.

Varvax Leader: While many of your kind appear peaceful, you have also been chosen for a higher duty. One to protect the Superiority’s interests, whatever those may be.

• Once a cycle, you can protect another player of your choice from Suppression or the Tenasi kill. You cannot target yourself, and you cannot protect the same target twice in a row.

Tenasi Pilot: After what seemed like years of fighting as a drone pilot against the human scourge, you’ve been called back to Starsight. Your kind has a unique ability to engage in fights without becoming emotional or aggressive, allowing  you to maintain the status of primary intelligence.

• Twice a game, you can use your training to forcibly remove a player from the game.

Heklo: There are few of your kind among the residents of Starsight and so you must forge your own path. Your main focus in your time has been to build connections.

• Twice a cycle, you may open one-on-one PMs between two players for one cycle (you do not have to be one of the two players). Do this by submitting an order in the GM PM with the names. The GM will open the PMs at the beginning of the next cycle.

Cambric: Not much is known about your kind or your planet, and you prefer to keep it that way. You also prefer to stay out of major politicking on Starsight, but recently you’ve seen disturbing changes.

• Once a cycle, you may cast an anonymous vote through your GM PM. This is in addition to any public vote and will not change any vote you place in public.

Sign-ups will close Tuesday, December 22 at 7 p.m. PST. @Gears will be my co-GM, and @Devotary of Spontaneity will be the IM.

Players/Spectators/Pinchhitters

Rule Clarifications

Spoiler
  1. The spy does not steal abilities, simply duplicates them.
  2. The varvax can not protect themselves, and they cannot protect the same target two cycles in a row.

Quick Links

Edited by Elandera

First! I'm signing up!

@Elandera, The Varvax leader cannot heal themselves or the same target twice in a row. Does this mean you can't heal yourself twice in a row and you can't heal the same target twice in a row, or that you can't heal yourself and you can't heal the same target twice in a row?

Edited by Ookla the Shadowed
signing not singing

10 minutes ago, Ookla the Shadowed said:

First! I'm signing up!

@Elandera, The Varvax leader cannot heal themselves or the same target twice in a row. Does this mean you can't heal yourself twice in a row and you can't heal the same target twice in a row, or that you can't heal yourself and you can't heal the same target twice in a row?

They cannot protect themselves at all, and they cannot protect any other person two cycles in a row. I will clarify.

Guest Somebody from Scadrial

I'll sign up in my continual quest to be an Elim.

My character will be Sale Conim.

Edited by Somebody from Sel

Sign me up!

1 hour ago, Elandera said:

Yes, and that would mean everyone dies. But please, I recommend against such actions as that would essentially break the game. :P

Okay, but theoretically, if everyone died on the same cycle, which faction would win? :ph34r:

Just now, Ookla the Disproportionate said:

Sign me up!

Okay, but theoretically, if everyone died on the same cycle, which faction would win? :ph34r:

Village, because if the Elims are dumb enough to let that happen then they deserve to lose.

16 minutes ago, Ookla the Disproportionate said:

Sign me up!

Theoretically, if that happened it would be because the Delver got sick of the noise and decided to consume the whole of Starsight. No one wins.

2 hours ago, Elandera said:

Theoretically, if that happened it would be because the Delver got sick of the noise and decided to consume the whole of Starsight. No one wins.

Okay, I can still work with this. 

If we reach LyLo and still have no idea who the Elims are, nobody vote. If anybody votes, we all vote them. We either catch an Elim, or all die and lose. But odds are we were about to lose anyway, it’s LyLo in this hypothetical situation. So at the very least we can keep the Elims from winning.

Edited by Ookla the Disproportionate

32 minutes ago, Ookla the Disproportionate said:

Okay, I can still work with this. 

If we reach LyLo and still have no idea who the Elims are, nobody vote. If anybody votes, we all vote them. We either catch an Elim, or all die and lose. But odds are we were about to lose anyway, it’s LyLo in this hypothetical situation. So at the very least we can keep the Elims from winning.

I think you're missing the Cambric. :P

5 hours ago, Elandera said:

The DPS will gain a member, chosen randomly from the ranks of the DSI, if the Detritus Spy is killed or voted out of office.

Why is this?

14 minutes ago, Straw said:

I think you're missing the Cambric. :P

Yeah, we’d just have to hope that any Village Cambrics don’t use it and that the Elims don’t have one =P

It does seem like the type of roll a GM would give to an Elim though...

35 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:

Why is this?

Thematically, a member of the DSI will see that a wild human has escaped Detritus, making them a larger threat than previously considered. They will switch sides, believing that maybe the DPS has been right all along.

10 minutes ago, Elandera said:

As many as choose to sign up. There's no cap on this game, though I would like more than 10. :P

Are any of the roles unique? Will everyone have a role?

I'd like to play! I read Skyward but haven't gotten around to Starsight... Things get really dark, huh? Maybe I'll go to the library and find a copy to read before the 22nd. Anyway, I'll be Cooper, a young intern who's just! Really excited to make new friends!! Go team! 

Oh... I've been flip-flopping back and forth on whether or not I want to join this. If I do, I'll likely be fairly inactive... but it'll also be fun. And the more games I join, the more likely I am to win one of these days.(4 losses and counting!)

All right, I'll join. But I'll be super inactive during the week just after Christmas. Let's be... Connie. She's an UrDail(like Alanik) (because of the skin coloring) with dark navy hair.

Does the Detritus Spy steal the role's ability or just duplicate it?