The Dustbringer protagonist

Shard-Hammer

Well, this is the first time I submit a topic and I've also been here for a very brief period of time, so I'm not really sure if this is something that has been discussed before, but I've always wondered why (when watching podcasts or videos about the Stormlight Archive) nobody seems to coment on something that I find quite obvious. 

This would be a spoiler for Oathbringer, but I'll be marking it just in case. 

Spoiler

We know that each book will be somewhat focused on a character from one of the ten orders of Radiants. Also, we already know who these characters are supposed to be. Basically, the ones present at the moment that Dalinar summons Honor's perpendicularity for the first time (Adolin was also there but you get what I mean). 

I always thought it obvious that Shalash is, at least for now, supposed to become the "Dustbringer protagonist". I think it's pretty obvious by now that the role fits her, as she has been "taking apart" art pieces for quite a while now, she's become much different than what she was as the Herald of the Lightweavers, so if she was to join an order it wouldn't be strange to assume it'd be a different one, and the most important fact, she's nicknamed Ash (I'm joking but it would fit) 

I'm posting this mainly to know if this is considered as "obvious" as the fandom as it is to me, because as I said, I've never seen it being at least mentioned.It'd have interesting implications for the future development of other characters of the series, so I think it would be nice considering it. 

16 minutes ago, Shard-Hammer said:

This would be a spoiler for Oathbringer, but I'll be marking it just in case. 

Not currently necessary in this thread.

17 minutes ago, Shard-Hammer said:

I'm posting this mainly to know if this is considered as "obvious" as the fandom as it is to me, because as I said, I've never seen it being at least mentioned.It'd have interesting implications for the future development of other characters of the series, so I think it would be nice considering it. 

We spent a long time on it, after OB's release especially.  However we don't have much new in the way of information and Brandon's statement that Ash will be a viewpoint character in the back five along with the fact that we have nothing new on it means it has died down a bit.

Shalash just destroys them. There is no element of curiosity or examination present.

She destroys what is wrong - Skybreaker
She destroys a lie - Truthwatcher

I am afraid this notion is fueled by a wish to see more Dustringers and/or Heralds which leads to not really looking at some clues. And generally the Heralds, save Nale - are expressing a desire to get away. Linking themselves to a Spren, who cannot leave, looks like a further problem, not a solution to me.

19 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Shalash just destroys them. There is no element of curiosity or examination present.

She destroys what is wrong - Skybreaker
She destroys a lie - Truthwatcher

I am afraid this notion is fueled by a wish to see more Dustringers and/or Heralds which leads to not really looking at some clues. And generally the Heralds, save Nale - are expressing a desire to get away. Linking themselves to a Spren, who cannot leave, looks like a further problem, not a solution to me.

@Oltlux72 I understand where you are coming from. I kind of agree with you that it would be weird for the lightweaver herald to join the dustbringers. However, I can also see how people could look at Ash and see her compulsively destroying artwork and think "following the Dustbringer path of seeking self-mastery would make sense for this character" it also cleans up having two books for lightweavers and no Dustbringer book.

Edit: Also, as for the heralds just wanting to leave. I was not getting that impression from anyone but Kelek. I am sure most of them would not dismiss a opportunity to leave Roshar out of hand, but Kelek seems to be the only one actively seeking to run away.

Edited by The Silverlight Scholar

3 hours ago, The Silverlight Scholar said:

@Oltlux72 I understand where you are coming from. I kind of agree with you that it would be weird for the lightweaver herald to join the dustbringers.

She is not the Lightweaver Herald from her own perspective. She is the Herald originally bearing the Honorblade which gave Lightweaving and Transformation.

The stuff with the Knights Radiant is not her idea and the Heralds were apparently not generally thrilled with the idea. You cannot use the Knights Radiant to make conclusions about the person of a Herald.

However, I can also see how people could look at Ash and see her compulsively destroying artwork and think "following the Dustbringer path of seeking self-mastery would make sense for this character" it also cleans up having two books for lightweavers and no Dustbringer book.

For somebody who has been tortured for thousands of years she is remarkably sane.

Edit: Also, as for the heralds just wanting to leave. I was not getting that impression from anyone but Kelek. I am sure most of them would not dismiss a opportunity to leave Roshar out of hand, but Kelek seems to be the only one actively seeking to run away.

Why did they support Gavilar's research?

9 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

She is not the Lightweaver Herald from her own perspective. She is the Herald originally bearing the Honorblade which gave Lightweaving and Transformation.

Very true, glad you brought that up. She is no more a Lightweaver than Szeth is a Windrunner (or every other honorblade he's practiced with).

10 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

The stuff with the Knights Radiant is not her idea and the Heralds were apparently not generally thrilled with the idea. You cannot use the Knights Radiant to make conclusions about the person of a Herald.

For somebody who has been tortured for thousands of years she is remarkably sane.

Why did they support Gavilar's research?

I agree that she is not actually a lightweaver, or actually have any connections to the order other than sharing surges. If anything I would say that this makes it even more likely that she would join a different order.

I can also completely agree that Ash is remarkably sane for what she has been through. However, there is still plenty of room for her character to grow and control her urges, and it seems like Dustbringer oaths might line up nicely with learning to control herself.

I was only aware of Kelek and Nale even being aware of what Gavilar was doing. If I missed something (totally possible) please enlighten me. 

Just gonna throw out that some of you need spoiler markers for RoW on your posts. I'm not going to quote them because I don't want to point them out to someone who may have missed it.

I think there's a chance we see someone knew become the Dustbringer lead. There's been speculation that in the second arc we will see Gavinor and Kaladin's little brother, can't remember there name, as main characters. I think it would be interesting to see them follow paths different from the other members of their families. I would love to see them become a dustbringer and a stoneward, no preference who takes which, just to see the new progression and how those oaths intereact and maybe clash with the oaths and personalities of their radiant family members.