Thaidakar disappointment

39 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

That makes perfect sense, except for one thing: the Seon

If Mraize is low level, what resources are at Iyatil's disposal? I have to ask again. How sure are we that the box Shallan took into Shadesmar was the same box that Mraize had given her?

Next to Hoid they seem the best informed.

I am afraid I need to point out that he also seems to have been a savior to the Southeners. Sure, he had statues of himself built, but he did help them.

When Kelsier met Khrissalla it seemed to me that he internally vowed to never be in a situation of acting without knowing what's going on again. And secondly, he found offworlders to be less than helpful.

I think Iyatil is fairly high up. And I think Mraize is one of the most skilled at his usual job: hunting things. Recruitment and politics do not seem to be his forte. Bering very skilled means that he gets lots of perks. That doesn’t mean he’s being made partner.

The GBs are well informed. Going by how Kell usually runs his crews, he’s not doing much oversight. He trusts his people to do the job the way he wants, which has backfired on him before.

Thought that occurred to me: imagine if in TLM Marasi or Allik or Wayne gets recruited by Kelsier? Because I don’t think this is going to be simple good vs. evil here. I think Kelsier will remain a Mistborn protagonist, but be an antagonist on Roshar. We know that Era 4 will be a clash of cultures, so this could easily be the setup for it. A crew that appears as the villains in one series and the heroes in another.

1 hour ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

He’s a bit too young to be going insane. He’s younger than Vasher, after all.

I don’t think Kell would. Playing God was a means to an end. Being God... I don’t think he wants that. It would just be another trap. And he’s held that power; he knows how it presses against the will of the Vessel. To hold a Shard is to lose himself and Kelsier won’t want that.

Besides, it won’t be very fun. If Kell did hold a Shard he’d just end up bored and give it up. Kelsier doesn’t want power for its own sake; he likes one-upping those more powerful than he is. Being a Shard is boring.

Considering Saze and Kelsier do not appear to be talking, I highly doubt they are currently getting along. But Kell does want Scadrial safe and a dangerously powerful, but ineffective Shard does not equal ‘safe.’ Note that Kell looking to give Sazed an extra Shard is something Sazed very much does NOT want. Kelsier doesn’t care.

Oh, now that's a good one.  That also fits with Kelsier's "I know what's good for you better than you do" traits and remarkable ability to be a smug asshole.  

(also, "I stole a god's power and found a way to force a more powerful god to accept it while being little more than a disembodied spirit who occasionally awkwardly staples himself to a physical body" is very much a thing that Kelsier would loooooooove to brag about, right alongside "I was temporarily a god and quit in part because I didn't like it, also I started two religions, one of them to spite a self-declared god and one of them just because I could, and personally mentored the woman who killed a god and a dude claiming to be a god, and also I have a galactic spy network that is running rings around nearly everybody including at least one other god")

57 minutes ago, IndigoAjah said:

Ah yeah, thanks for reminding me. He also has a well established god complex.

Anyway, as for Kell not being in this to be a goody twoshoes:

Sanderson has repeatedly said that Kell would be a villain in many other circumstances and stories. He wrote him that way. It's amazing that people are surprised that he might turn out to be a villain or at best chaotic neutral character. Sanderson told us this "plot twist" years ago.

I'm pretty sure there's a WOB that Miles Hundredlives is essentially Kelsier but the system he's fighting is merely ineffective and parochial rather than insanely evil.  Need to double-check Arcanum and Coppermind.  

3 minutes ago, GroundPetrel said:

Oh, now that's a good one.  That also fits with Kelsier's "I know what's good for you better than you do" traits and remarkable ability to be a smug asshole.  

(also, "I stole a god's power and found a way to force a more powerful god to accept it while being little more than a disembodied spirit who occasionally awkwardly staples himself to a physical body" is very much a thing that Kelsier would loooooooove to brag about, right alongside "I was temporarily a god and quit in part because I didn't like it, also I started two religions, one of them to spite a self-declared god and one of them just because I could, and personally mentored the woman who killed a god and a dude claiming to be a god, and also I have a galactic spy network that is running rings around nearly everybody including at least one other god")

Kelsier in a nutshell. “Saze, you know how you keep saying you need more autonomy?”

Saze: I am coming to regret that, I think.

Kell: Well, I got you some! (Shoves Shard of Autonomy at Saze.)

1 hour ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Kelsier in a nutshell. “Saze, you know how you keep saying you need more autonomy?”

Saze: I am coming to regret that, I think.

Kell: Well, I got you some! (Shoves Shard of Autonomy at Saze.)

Honestly, I think that Autonomy is the only Shard Kelsier would voluntarily take up.  

5 minutes ago, GroundPetrel said:

Honestly, I think that Autonomy is the only Shard Kelsier would voluntarily take up.  

Ambition. He would be very okay with Ambition. Moreso than Autonomy, IMO. Also Whimsy, but that would be a disaster for everyone else.

Of the Shards we know, I can see him capable of taking up: Ruin, Odium, Autonomy, Ambition, Whimsy, Invention, and Cultivation. Possibly Dominion.

Just now, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Ambition. He would be very okay with Ambition. Moreso than Autonomy, IMO. Also Whimsy, but that would be a disaster for everyone else.

Of the Shards we know, I can see him capable of taking up: Ruin, Odium, Autonomy, Ambition, Whimsy, Invention, and Cultivation. Possibly Dominion.

I dunno, Ambition doesn't seem to define him as much as his free-spiritedness.  He's ambitious, sure, but he seems to like one-upping more powerful people more than becoming powerful.  Also can't see him with Cultivation or Dominion.  

Kelsier with Whimsy would basically be Q from Star Trek but more of a jerk.  Possibly worse than Odium, depending on your perspective.  XD

2 minutes ago, GroundPetrel said:

I dunno, Ambition doesn't seem to define him as much as his free-spiritedness.  He's ambitious, sure, but he seems to like one-upping more powerful people more than becoming powerful.  Also can't see him with Cultivation or Dominion.  

Kelsier with Whimsy would basically be Q from Star Trek but more of a jerk.  Possibly worse than Odium, depending on your perspective.  XD

Don't you tempt me with Q, that is my favorite character in Star Trek. Q in the Cosmere would be  EPIK.

Also, of all the Shards, ambition seems to be the closest to his personality already AND unlikely to change him drastically with its intent in a negative (in his perspective) way. It's both of those that Make ambition a good choice. And the fact that Ambition is dead, so he won't have to fight a god.

8 minutes ago, Karger said:

Ambition was splintered by Odium according to Khriss. 

Questioner (paraphrased)

Ambition wasn't Splintered in the contest with Odium. Is there a reason why he hasn't chosen another Avatar [Vessel] yet?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes.

Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

2 minutes ago, GroundPetrel said:

Kelsier with Whimsy would totally be Q. I half want to see this now.

Kelsier always needs to be the best. He constantly needs to pit himself against those stronger and prove himself ‘better.’ That’s ambition. Kell is one of the most ambitious characters in the Cosmere.

You really can’t see him with Cultivation? Look back to TFE. He cultivates the Crew. He pushes them to be their best selves. He trains Vin, cultivating her. He cultivates the Skaa. He does the same with Spook. He cultivates chaos. He is constantly manipulating everything and everyone around him to achieve his goal. Cultivation fits him nicely, but he would be a very dangerous version off the Shard.

Dominion depends a lot on what the Shard actually is and refers to. Kell likes being in control, which is why it’s a possibility. And he was a king for 60 or so years. But I don’t think he’d be willing.

6 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Kelsier with Whimsy would totally be Q. I half want to see this now.

Kelsier always needs to be the best. He constantly needs to pit himself against those stronger and prove himself ‘better.’ That’s ambition. Kell is one of the most ambitious characters in the Cosmere.

You really can’t see him with Cultivation? Look back to TFE. He cultivates the Crew. He pushes them to be their best selves. He trains Vin, cultivating her. He cultivates the Skaa. He does the same with Spook. He cultivates chaos. He is constantly manipulating everything and everyone around him to achieve his goal. Cultivation fits him nicely, but he would be a very dangerous version off the Shard.

Dominion depends a lot on what the Shard actually is and refers to. Kell likes being in control, which is why it’s a possibility. And he was a king for 60 or so years. But I don’t think he’d be willing.

I don't really think he cultivates things for their own sake, though, he grooms people to serve his interests and needs.  I'm still thinking Autonomy is the best fit.  

...that said, QSier would be a freaking riot.  

20 minutes ago, GroundPetrel said:

I don't really think he cultivates things for their own sake, though, he grooms people to serve his interests and needs.  I'm still thinking Autonomy is the best fit.  

...that said, QSier would be a freaking riot.  

The reason he cultivates isn’t important. What is important is that he naturally cultivates things. Cultivation clearly cultivates things for her own reasons.

Qsier is now my new pet Aluminum hat theory. I think I’ll add that as a question to ask Brandon: if Kelsier picked up Whimsy, would he be Q? If yes, would Hoid be Guinan in this situation? Who would be Picard?

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

38 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

The reason he cultivates isn’t important. What is important is that he naturally cultivates things. Cultivation clearly cultivates things for her own reasons.

Qsier is now my new pet Aluminum hat theory. I think I’ll add that as a question to ask Brandon: if Kelsier picked up Whimsy, would he be Q? If yes, would Hoid be Guinan in this situation? Who would be Picard?

MeLaan would be Wesley Crusher except that we'd all still love her anyway.  "Screw it, I'm going to be a walking fanfic of myself" is an absolutely fantastic character concept.  

Dalinar would be Picard.  Adolin would be Riker but less of a jerk.  Navani would be Dr. Crusher and Geordie LaForge at the same time.  Kaladin would be Mr. Worf and Counselor Troi at the same time.  Hoid would be Guinan.  As for Data...I'm thinking Nightblood.  

Sazed would be the Q who temporarily depowers Q that one time.  

1 hour ago, Ookla The Frustrated said:

Questioner (paraphrased)

Ambition wasn't Splintered in the contest with Odium. Is there a reason why he hasn't chosen another Avatar [Vessel] yet?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes.

Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

Thou shalt weigh every word Brandon says. He is better at loopholes than a greazed Skybreaker.

He did not deny that Ambition was splintered elsewhere. In fact we were told that Ambition was mortally wounded there, but died elsewhere. And now we know that Mercy was also present.

18 minutes ago, GroundPetrel said:

MeLaan would be Wesley Crusher except that we'd all still love her anyway.  "Screw it, I'm going to be a walking fanfic of myself" is an absolutely fantastic character concept.  

Dalinar would be Picard.  Adolin would be Riker but less of a jerk.  Navani would be Dr. Crusher and Geordie LaForge at the same time.  Kaladin would be Mr. Worf and Counselor Troi at the same time.  Hoid would be Guinan.  As for Data...I'm thinking Nightblood.  

Sazed would be the Q who temporarily depowers Q that one time.  

The problem is that Kell wouldn’t respect Dalinar at ALL. Picard has to be someone Qsier respects at least somewhat. And also gets on with Hoid.

Hmm... Jasnah, maybe? I know Kelsier tried to have her killed, but I think that ‘might’ have been a misunderstanding. And the way she survived Shadesmar would probably impress him.

Rlain is Worf. Think about it.

Navani is just Geordi, not Doc Crusher. She‘s no medic. Unless she’s O’Brien and Ranette is Geordi.

Lirin could be... not Doc Crusher, but the other doc, whose name I don’t remember right now.

Hmm... since we’re having an adult Marasi for Wesley, why not have little Lift for Doc Crusher?

Adolin is Deana. He’s the one everyone likes, whose constantly supporting others and doesn’t like to wear regulation uniforms.

I’m not certain who would work for Riker. Right now Kal and Wax are both options, but neither feels right. Oh, wait! What about Azure?

Data could be Steris. She calculates every possible answer to a situation and studies human behavior, so it works. And I adore them both too.

Nightblood is the Enterprise.

Hoid is Guinan, of course.

Tasha Yar could be... I’m not sure. Thoughts? 

...I want this fanfic/fanart NOW!

7 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Thou shalt weigh every word Brandon says. He is better at loopholes than a greazed Skybreaker.

He did not deny that Ambition was splintered elsewhere. In fact we were told that Ambition was mortally wounded there, but died elsewhere. And now we know that Mercy was also present.

It is never said you can't possibly pick up the power of a splintered shard.

3 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

The problem is that Kell wouldn’t respect Dalinar at ALL. Picard has to be someone Qsier respects at least somewhat. And also gets on with Hoid.

Hmm... Jasnah, maybe? I know Kelsier tried to have her killed, but I think that ‘might’ have been a misunderstanding. And the way she survived Shadesmar would probably impress him.

Rlain is Worf. Think about it.

Navani is just Geordi, not Doc Crusher. She‘s no medic. Unless she’s O’Brien and Ranette is Geordi.

Lirin could be... not Doc Crusher, but the other doc, whose name I don’t remember right now.

Hmm... since we’re having an adult Marasi for Wesley, why not have little Lift for Doc Crusher?

Adolin is Deana. He’s the one everyone likes, whose constantly supporting others and doesn’t like to wear regulation uniforms.

I’m not certain who would work for Riker. Right now Kal and Wax are both options, but neither feels right. Oh, wait! What about Azure?

Data could be Steris. She calculates every possible answer to a situation and studies human behavior, so it works. And I adore them both too.

Nightblood is the Enterprise.

Hoid is Guinan, of course.

Tasha Yar could be... I’m not sure. Thoughts? 

...I want this fanfic/fanart NOW!

Would he really dislike Dalinar that much?  He didn't like Elend very much, but when he sees just how far Dalinar was willing to go for the bridgemen, he might be at least grudgingly respectful.  Can totally see Jasnah as the Picard too though!  

Kaladin is the grouchy badass and the therapist at the same time, hence Worf and Troi.  Adolin for Riker because he's a young handsome slightly-less-badass flirt with a string of short-lived relationships behind him.  I can see elements of Troi in him too, you've got a good point.  

Lirin would definitely be Dr. Pulaski!  My reasoning for Navani as Crusher is because I had Dalinar in the Picard role, honestly.  

Azure would be a...decent Riker?  But I think that Adolin's flamboyance and personality are perfect for a less dickish Riker (Adolin would never be a jerk to Barclay).  

Steris would be a great  Data!  Good one.  Szeth would be a weird but hypothetically workable choice too IMO.  

Nightblood could be Spot.  Especially if Szeth is Data.  

Tasha Yar...um...Veil maybe?  (RIP)

28 minutes ago, GroundPetrel said:

Would he really dislike Dalinar that much?  He didn't like Elend very much, but when he sees just how far Dalinar was willing to go for the bridgemen, he might be at least grudgingly respectful.  Can totally see Jasnah as the Picard too though!  

Kaladin is the grouchy badass and the therapist at the same time, hence Worf and Troi.  Adolin for Riker because he's a young handsome slightly-less-badass flirt with a string of short-lived relationships behind him.  I can see elements of Troi in him too, you've got a good point.  

Lirin would definitely be Dr. Pulaski!  My reasoning for Navani as Crusher is because I had Dalinar in the Picard role, honestly.  

Azure would be a...decent Riker?  But I think that Adolin's flamboyance and personality are perfect for a less dickish Riker (Adolin would never be a jerk to Barclay).  

Steris would be a great  Data!  Good one.  Szeth would be a weird but hypothetically workable choice too IMO.  

Nightblood could be Spot.  Especially if Szeth is Data.  

Tasha Yar...um...Veil maybe?  (RIP)

Tasha Yar is Azure, actually, now that I think about it.

I got why you picked Kal for the role, but Adolin is really the one who has been playing it. And Kal is too combat oriented.

Kal could be Worf, but Rlain lets us play with the whole ‘other species’ thing.

Weird idea: what if Shallan is Deana, freeing Adolin to be Riker? Though Shallan would make an excellent sentient holodeck.

Or maybe MeLaan could be Riker...

Dalinar thinks slavery shouldn’t be abolished. ‘Nuff said.

20 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Tasha Yar is Azure, actually, now that I think about it.

I got why you picked Kal for the role, but Adolin is really the one who has been playing it. And Kal is too combat oriented.

Kal could be Worf, but Rlain lets us play with the whole ‘other species’ thing.

Weird idea: what if Shallan is Deana, freeing Adolin to be Riker? Though Shallan would make an excellent sentient holodeck.

Or maybe MeLaan could be Riker...

Dalinar thinks slavery shouldn’t be abolished. ‘Nuff said.

Picard is usually the stiff ass who stands for the establishment, especially in early seasons (and he was willing to let a planet die because Prime Directive until Data forced him to listen to a little girl beg for help).  He has a lot in common with Dalinar that way.  

Azure would make a decent Tasha Yar, good point!  

MeLaan could be a Riker but the thing is she's essentially living her life as a fanfic of herself, and Wesley is basically Gene Roddenberry's fanfic of himself.  So MeLaan is the Wesley, but likable.  

re: Kal and Adolin and Shallan--how about Adolin and Shallan as Riker and Troi, but she's the Riker and he's the Troi?  Troi has some one-off romances, too, almost as many as Riker.  

I still like Kal the honor-bound emotionally constipated gruff badass as Worf the honor-bound emotionally constipated gruff badass.  :/

What about Jasnah as Data?  Intelligent, hyper-moral, badass, emotionally closed-off?  

And as a devoted DS9 buff I'm now considering who would be who on that show LOL.  XD

21 minutes ago, GroundPetrel said:

Picard is usually the stiff ass who stands for the establishment, especially in early seasons (and he was willing to let a planet die because Prime Directive until Data forced him to listen to a little girl beg for help).  He has a lot in common with Dalinar that way.  

Azure would make a decent Tasha Yar, good point!  

MeLaan could be a Riker but the thing is she's essentially living her life as a fanfic of herself, and Wesley is basically Gene Roddenberry's fanfic of himself.  So MeLaan is the Wesley, but likable.  

re: Kal and Adolin and Shallan--how about Adolin and Shallan as Riker and Troi, but she's the Riker and he's the Troi?  Troi has some one-off romances, too, almost as many as Riker.  

I still like Kal the honor-bound emotionally constipated gruff badass as Worf the honor-bound emotionally constipated gruff badass.  :/

What about Jasnah as Data?  Intelligent, hyper-moral, badass, emotionally closed-off?  

And as a devoted DS9 buff I'm now considering who would be who on that show LOL.  XD

We already have Steris for Data.

Jasnah was/is willing to kill all the Singers, so... The problem is that Picard has to be someone Qsier can respect. And that won’t be Dalinar.

MeLaan as Wesley allows Marasi to be Riker, actually. Which could work. She makes a good #2.

A lot of Worf’s issues had to do with being the sole Klingon in Starfleet, though, which is why Rlain works so well for it.

Hmmm...

Kelsier + Whimsy = Q

Hoid - Guinan

Jasnah - Picard

Marasi - Riker?

Lift - Doc Crusher

MeLaan - Wesley Crusher

Lirin - Dr. Pulaski

Steris - Data

Rlain - Worf

Azure - Tasha Yar

Navani - O’Brien

Ranette - Geordi

Adolin - Deana

Nightblood - Enterprise

Am I missing anyone?

I think Taravangian could be Lore.

And the Borg is Odium.

6 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

We already have Steris for Data.

Jasnah was/is willing to kill all the Singers, so... The problem is that Picard has to be someone Qsier can respect. And that won’t be Dalinar.

MeLaan as Wesley allows Marasi to be Riker, actually. Which could work. She makes a good #2.

A lot of Worf’s issues had to do with being the sole Klingon in Starfleet, though, which is why Rlain works so well for it.

Hmmm...

Kelsier + Whimsy = Q

Hoid - Guinan

Jasnah - Picard

Marasi - Riker?

Lift - Doc Crusher

MeLaan - Wesley Crusher

Lirin - Dr. Pulaski

Steris - Data

Rlain - Worf

Azure - Tasha Yar

Navani - O’Brien

Ranette - Geordi

Adolin - Deana

Nightblood - Enterprise

Am I missing anyone?

I think Taravangian could be Lore.

"Sequence" would be a decent Lore, too, I think.  And I'm still pulling for Nightblood as Spot and Kaladin as Worf.  

Not sure how well Lift would do as Dr. Crusher, they share very little in personality.  Also not sold on Navani as O'Brien...BUT!  

Dalinar as O'Brien (dark past, dependable family man, somewhat set in his ways), Navani as Keiko (gentle and supportive mom, scientist, teacher, and general awesome person).  

I am really pulling now for Shallan as Riker, XD.  Just because of Adolin as Troi.  

For the Enterprise I'm thinking the Fourth Bridge. :D

Now bringing in DS9: 

Sisko - Sazed/Harmony (normally quiet and parental but capable of tremendous badassery when necessary, educated and intelligent, usually very self-controlled, strong morals)

Odo - TenSoon or Elend

Kira - Vin

Quark - Sebarial

Nog - Spook

Jadzia Dax - actually Navani could do her too, but also Marasi would be decent IMO.  

Ezri Dax - Marasi would do fine here, same with Siri or Sarene.  

Bashir - Raoden or Renarin

Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor - Hrathen, or maybe Venli.  

Gul Dukat - Sadeas or maaaaaaaybe Amaram

"Female" Founder - Rashek/the Lord Ruler

Third Remata'klan (from Rocks and Shoals) - Leshwi

4 minutes ago, GroundPetrel said:

"Sequence" would be a decent Lore, too, I think.  And I'm still pulling for Nightblood as Spot and Kaladin as Worf.  

Not sure how well Lift would do as Dr. Crusher, they share very little in personality.  Also not sold on Navani as O'Brien...BUT!  

Dalinar as O'Brien (dark past, dependable family man, somewhat set in his ways), Navani as Keiko (gentle and supportive mom, scientist, teacher, and general awesome person).  

I am really pulling now for Shallan as Riker, XD.  Just because of Adolin as Troi.  

For the Enterprise I'm thinking the Fourth Bridge. :D

Now bringing in DS9: 

Sisko - Sazed/Harmony (normally quiet and parental but capable of tremendous badassery when necessary, educated and intelligent, usually very self-controlled, strong morals)

Odo - TenSoon or Elend

Kira - Vin

Quark - Sebarial

Nog - Spook

Jadzia Dax - actually Navani could do her too, but also Marasi would be decent IMO.  

Ezri Dax - Marasi would do fine here, same with Siri or Sarene.  

Bashir - Raoden or Renarin

Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor - Hrathen, or maybe Venli.  

Gul Dukat - Sadeas or maaaaaaaybe Amaram

"Female" Founder - Rashek/the Lord Ruler

Third Remata'klan (from Rocks and Shoals) - Leshwi

Odo- TenSoon

I like the Navani - Dalinar idea. Gavinor is the kid then.

Lift is based more on who she might theoretically grow into.

I don’t really have someone who fits Dox Crusher’s role.

And Sisko ends up joining the Prophets, right? That works so well!

Who is Jake?

I disagree with both options for Basheer. But Raoden, if I had to pick one.

Garak is Venli.

Shouldn’t Kira be Tindwyl if Sisko is Saze? I thought they were kind-of together for awhile? (I haven’t seen the whole show.)

Just now, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Odo- TenSoon

I like the Navani - Dalinar idea. Gavinor is the kid then.

Lift is based more on who she might theoretically grow into.

I don’t really have someone who fits Dox Crusher’s role.

And Sisko ends up joining the Prophets, right? That works so well!

Who is Jake?

I disagree with both options for Basheer. But Raoden, if I had to pick one.

Garak is Venli.

Shouldn’t Kira be Tindwyl if Sisko is Saze? I thought they were kind-of together for awhile? (I haven’t seen the whole show.)

Gavinor is absolutely Molly O'Brien!  Have you seen how indescribably cute she is???  :D

Jake would be...hmm.  Wayne, maybe?  PTSD and a degree of pacifism?  

Kira and Sisko, together?  Never officially, and rarely if ever in fandom.  Odo loves Kira desperately for several seasons then she finds out and falls for him, then end the series by going long-distance.  (They reunite in various non-canon material like the novelverse and the Star Trek MMO, though)  That's why I'm saying Elend could be Odo, too, as Odo's a kindhearted defector from his totalitarian jerk species who seeks to further justice.