Rock’s Fate?

NattyBo

I searched for discussion of this but couldn’t find a specific thread. 

Was Rock executed? In chapter 114, we find out that: 

“Skar and Drehy had relayed the news after returning to the Shattered Plains. It seemed Kaladin wouldn’t be seeing Rock again.”

Maybe I’m being pessimistic, and Brandon wouldn’t kill Rock offscreen like that, but I dunno, sounds pretty definite. What is the consensus here?

Edited by NattyBo

There's a thread, but I'm not sure where.  I think the three main thoughts are:

1. He was 'executed' by being sent through the Perpendicularity on the Horneater Peaks
  2. He's now the king of the Horneaters
  3. He was executed.

I personally think it's likely he was made king, don't ask me for reasons, though.

1 hour ago, GameOfGroans said:

It does seem weird for him to be killed off just like that, in one offhand sentence. I hope we get some answers in future.

Next novella is apparently going to be titled Horneater and be about him, so hopefully we will learn sooner than Book 5

I actually wondered about this myself. He possess a set of shards . This would automatically make him the first Hornester shardbearer and king by default . Cord only has plate and she got hers a year after Rock hot his by killing Amaram . 
      I also don’t think he has an Honorspren yet . We have just learned about peekspren. He may have attracted one , thus becoming a Stoneward . If Renarin and Rlain can be Truthwstchers and stil be considered bridge 4 . Why can’t rock be a Stoneward . Considering his name it seams more appropriate !! 

15 hours ago, GameOfGroans said:

Certainly Kaladin would be very upset to hear about Rock's death, and since there's no such reaction in his POV, it's another reason to be optimistic.

On 2020-12-11 at 0:00 AM, Nymeros said:

He ded

Nooooooooooo!!!

I don't cry during books usually (The Dark Tower, Oy's death being an exception) but early in RoW, it said Rock "walked out of Kaladin's life, forever". or words to that effect. Which dragged a strangled sob from me.

Then in the end, I took note of the above quote, and wondered whether he'd been executed, exiled or made king. Still not sure but I want to believe he's king.

Edited by cvamoca
oy's got no i in it.

20 hours ago, cvamoca said:

Nooooooooooo!!!

I don't cry during books usually (The Dark Tower, Oy's death being an exception) but early in RoW, it said Rock "walked out of Kaladin's life, forever". or words to that effect. Which dragged a strangled sob from me.

Then in the end, I took note of the above quote, and wondered whether he'd been executed, exiled or made king. Still not sure but I want to believe he's king.

Considering ‘Horneater’, I’m pretty sure Rock is okay.

On 12/12/2020 at 8:27 PM, Aspiring Writer said:

Everyone, do not worry, there is evidence that Rock is alive. That novella that was mentioned is supposedly between book five and six, so rock appears to be still kicking even after all the crap with Todium goes down.

Well, I hope that's true. I certainly am left feeling that Brandon wants us to think that Rock is dead, at least.  But such a casual throwaway line...I still think he's alive and kicking. Just not "Rock" anymore.

He's got to go to the peaks to deal with his betrayal of his birth order. I'm pretty sure he was born as a warrior, but because of the death of his older brother he became a cook. Finally, we know that it was said anyone who got shards and came back would become a king. So what's going on in the peaks?

The Unmade Moelach has moved to the horneater peaks:

Adrotagia flipped over a paper from one of her stacks. “Moelach seems to have settled in the Horneater Peaks. Joshor is on his way there now. We might again soon have access to the Death Rattles.”

Sanderson, Brandon. Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive) (p. 1001). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

Do we know of any other characters going to the peaks, or things going on there that Brandon would want to show besides Rock 'Return of the King'ing? Joshar (Silent Gatherer) is said to be headed there for more info. So we've got two named characters in the area.

What I want to see, is more Cultivation. Like, flow blown on screen dragon transformation would be epic. I'd just settle for some more clues about her motivations and what shes trying to do, maybe mixed with T-Odium showing up somehow to meddle with the (former?) Diagram people.

I'd love to see Rock become a radiant of some kind - maybe a Stoneward for the pun. From the Stoneward article:

Throughout the world, they were widely known for being dependable, strong and filled with resolve, but also stubborn to a fault and prone to taking on projects larger than themselves.

Plus this would give us a fantastic Stoneward POV character.

Kaladin didn’t have many squires left—none, unless you counted Dabbid and Rlain. Rock didn’t have a spren either, but he … had moved on to something else. Kaladin wasn’t sure what it was, but he didn’t call himself a squire.

Sanderson, Brandon. Rhythm of War (The Stormlight Archive) (p. 162). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

EDIT Adding stuff:

Rock held out his arms for an embrace. “Come. Give me farewell.”

Feeling like he was in a trance, Kaladin stood. “Will you return? If you can, after?” Rock shook his head.

“This thing I have done here with all of you, he is the end. When we meet again, I suspect it shall not be in this world. This life.”

Kaladin embraced his friend. One final, crushing Horneater hug. When they pulled apart, Rock was crying, but smiling. “You gave me back my life,” he said. “Thank you for that, Kaladin, bridgeleader. Do not be sad that now I choose to live that life.” “You go to imprisonment or worse.” “I go to the gods,” Rock said. He held up his finger. “There is one who lives here. One afah’liki. He is powerful god, but tricky. You should not have lost his flute.”

Sanderson, Brandon. Rhythm of War (The Stormlight Archive) (p. 177). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

I really REALLY hope this isn't foreshadowing, but I'm tempted to think that Kaladin will die in the next book, and maybe meet rock in the Cog Realm before he fades. Some folks said this might be a language issue, that Rock might have to live on the other side of the Perpendicularity but we will see, and I hope it is just that and not either of them dying.

Edited by Autobrecciation

2 hours ago, NattyBo said:

Well, I hope that's true. I certainly am left feeling that Brandon wants us to think that Rock is dead, at least.  But such a casual throwaway line...I still think he's alive and kicking. Just not "Rock" anymore.

I just want one thing for Kaladin. I want him to get a big Horneater hug, and I want to believe they will meet again. But I think all the "unimportant" tier characters are going to just go away, Lopen's gone, Rock's gone, Teft's gone and Moash is...Moash.

On 2020-12-12 at 9:25 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Considering ‘Horneater’, I’m pretty sure Rock is okay.

It might be written about his life after his death. I think he's for whatever reason, being written out of the story. Michael Kramer's Rock was a delight.

Rock says he's going to the gods. Then he refers to Wit as the one god who lives in Urithiru. So it's pretty obvious, along with their much higher Cosmere awareness, their proximity to Cultivations Perpendicularity, and their abilities, Horneaters send people out as worldhoppers. Rock, due to "this thing I have done here with all of you", is being sent to do something off Roshar and won't return.

On 12/11/2020 at 10:39 PM, cvamoca said:

Nooooooooooo!!!

Oy's death got me too.  So sad

• 1 year later...

I agree that he's probably in shadesmar or offworld, but I thinks It's very conceivable that he is instead acting as a servant to hoid while he is occupied on Roshar.

The Hornearers seem to have a great respect for hoid, who is a constant visitor, and probably do stuff like this as a gesture of respect, and to sway favor.

Rock refers to him as a god, which he practically is at this point, so he probably has no problems becoming his servant.

It's also conceivable that the cultural purpose of a "King" as rock is becoming, is not to rule, but directly influence the cosmere to aid the horneaters

On 12/12/2020 at 7:27 PM, Aspiring Writer said:

Everyone, do not worry, there is evidence that Rock is alive. That novella that was mentioned is supposedly between book five and six, so rock appears to be still kicking even after all the crap with Todium goes down.

From what I heard it is gonna have Skar and Drehy as big characters, and be written before 5. Feels like it makes most sense given all of that, it would be about what happened during Book 4 when he went to the Horneater Peaks. So it doesn't mean that he is still alive by the time Skar and Drehy return. I don't think he is dead, I was just saying that he still could be.

Also, can't wait for more info on the Unkalaki tongue, we have quite a bit, and can make a bunch of assumptions on grammer. But want to see more, and also get more words in general. Would make sense to as we are likely gonna get that in Book 5 for the Shin, and they are related tongues. 

And maybe an explanation for why they seem to be named after Kalak. 

Edited by Zoey

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/16/2022 at 0:25 AM, Stoneward66 said:

If the fuse controls the Horneater perpendicularity. Then Rock could of gotten himself into a battle with the fuse and killed. I will go with king or leader. He has to protect the Peaks. SO he can not leave

I want there to be a moment that is simmilar when kaladin says and sill lives but instead Rock.