12 hours ago, AonDii said:

“The scholars of Krynata have discovered that all things are made up of tiny particles called atoms, atoms come in varieties, and the way they are combined as well as what types are combined determine the properties of a substance. Water is made of hydrogen and oxygen, air mostly nitrogen...”

Cancei explains his knowledge of atomic theory.

"Krynatan elements are easily disproven, how else could elements be transmuted from one to another? Why would water upon contact with fire become air unless they mixed, does the Hydrogen and Oxygen all of a sudden become nitrogen? I'm afraid it just isn't so."

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Frustration said:

"Krynatan elements are easily disproven, how else could elements be transmuted from one to another? Why would water upon contact with fire become air unless they mixed, does the Hydrogen and Oxygen all of a sudden become nitrogen? I'm afraid it just isn't so."

"the key is mostly, Air is partially gaseous water"

13 minutes ago, AonDii said:

"what else would it be?"

Xanth reached into his bag and touched one of his stones

The salt flashed breifly Trice blue, twice yellow green, four times yellow, twice orange and once red.

"There are trace amounts of metal within it, and likely something acting as a bonding agent, though I'm not familiar enough with it to know. 

A note only Xanth would see the light.

Edited by Frustration

On 12/18/2020 at 9:02 AM, xinoehp512 said:

This is a anti-magic society, right? Sevyr is most certainly magical. And there are ways to capture whispers.

So how would Tualak refer to this species? Just as ‘a Whisper’? Is it even a ‘species’ really? Or is it more accurately some sort of magical construct, a literal, lowercase, ‘whisper’, given sentience? 

Also, Quick Retcon: 
Instead of having most people dismiss magic as being fake, let’s have people in this society know that magic exists, but it’s very taboo. People consider all forms of magic to be some sort of witchcraft. They believe it is evil, basically like the old Salem Witch Trials, but even more extreme. Like what would happen if Salem had continued that practice for generations, and if magic actually existed. Some people do still dismiss it as being just a fantasy, but anyone with even a small amount of knowledge or experience with the outside world would agree that it exists, but it’s very rare. 

Side note: I love that you two have just been keeping this alive while I haven’t been able to post. This sort of discussion perfectly matches what I was thinking of with this society. Sorta the dawn of a scientific revolution, atomic theory barely having been thought of. People arguing against longstanding beliefs that are fundamentally wrong. Very much Galileo-esque. 

Although this is fantasy, who’s to say that, in this universe, atomic theory is correct? Maybe everything is made up of just a few core elements, and the Krynata scholars are wrong. I certainly don’t have an answer. 

Also, I saw that someone mentioned alchemy, so let’s say that people consider alchemy a science and not a magic, otherwise they’d immediately ban it. 

Gaboranth stood by, enjoying his dragon meat, watching the rather peculiar pair debate. He wished he had any semblance of understanding about what the two were talking about. He had been down in Krynata just a year or two earlier, and he remembered feeling the same sort of ignorance while there. People were calling Krynata the center of technology, he had seen some of it himself. They were apparently experimenting with using steam to power some basic machines. Like a waterwheel, or a windmill, but instead of being powered by water or air, a mixture of the two. Steam. Very peculiar in his opinion. 

6 hours ago, AonDii said:

"Metal is composed of fire and earth, correct? This means that it is composed of the primary elements of earth and air, with the majority of it being earth if I am not wrong"

"Metal is a semi-element it acts like an element of it's own, but can be broken into earth and fire yes. So it would be mostly earth, trace amounts of metal, or even more trace amounts of fire if you break it down enough."

7 hours ago, Dannex said:

So how would Tualak refer to this species? Just as ‘a Whisper’? Is it even a ‘species’ really? Or is it more accurately some sort of magical construct, a literal, lowercase, ‘whisper’, given sentience? 

It's more of a magical construct, I would say. It might be capitalized or not; they certainly didn't name themselves.

On 12/21/2020 at 5:44 AM, Frustration said:

"Metal is a semi-element it acts like an element of it's own, but can be broken into earth and fire yes. So it would be mostly earth, trace amounts of metal, or even more trace amounts of fire if you break it down enough."

Cancei starts heating it until it starts ti break down into its less hydrated form

"then where is the water coming from?"

Edited by AonDii

On 12/22/2020 at 9:58 PM, AonDii said:

Cancei starts heating it until it starts ti break down into its less hydrated form

"then where is the water coming from?"

Sorry about the delay.

Xanth paused and looked at the water pooling in the pot.

"Now that is intresting, is it acting as a bonding agent? It must be that's the only explanation."

It's fine.

Also I have an idea for the element stuff. The standard periodic table elements are what makes up the world, but the 6 elements from wherever they are from are the elements of magic.

Pyromancers can manipulate heat, hydromancers can manipulate water and other polar liquids, geomancers can manipulate inorganic solids, secondary elementalists are much rarer, seeing as it is the same as being an elementalist in two of the primary elements.

Aeromancers are both pyromancers and hydromancers and gain the ability to manipulate gasses, xylomancers are hydro- and geomancers and gain the ability to manipulate organic compounds, metallomancers are pyro- and geomancers and can induce current in metals. Omnimancers are spoken of only in legend, they probably have never existed.

This is by no means canon, just an idea.

Cancei transfers the solution to a distillation setup and starts to collect the anhydrous salt.

"It isn't a bonding agent, the water is part of the crystal lattice along with the magnesium and sulfate ions, heat breaks the bond and the crystal reforms without as much or any water."

1 minute ago, AonDii said:

Cancei transfers the solution to a distillation setup and starts to collect the anhydrous salt.

"It isn't a bonding agent, the water is part of the crystal lattice along with the magnesium and sulfate ions, heat breaks the bond and the crystal reforms without as much or any water."

I suppse it's fine, personally I like seeing how "not wrong" I can make Xanth, and how logical

"It's just wet, like wood that hasn't had time to dry, not truely composed of water. I fail to see what this proves, however, I can prove mine."

Xanth set up a ceramic heating dish and a water barrle.

"Your classification of elements describes Sulfer as aan element, Mercury as another and Tin as separate altogether correct?" Xanth hwever did not give Cancei time to respond.

"So, here I have Brimstone, almost ure fire in powdered form, what you would call Sulfer, and here, quicksilver, what you would all mercury, pure metal distilled." Xanth poured both into the pan.

"And now to bond them, Salt, mostly earth, mixed with the fire of brimstone and with the guidence of quicksilver they will become tin."

Xanth poured the salt in, and started the fire underneath.

He was careful to control the flames, but the physical ascpect was only part of what he did. The Phlisophical was just as important. Xanth searched deep within himself, removing all impurity and going to the very dpeths of the soul of himself. At his very core, was the seed of his soul, the desire for questions, the desire to understand.

Xanth innwardly focused on this above all else, while physically he had taken two sets of tongs and was folding the slowly solidifying mass. The fire roared and the metal glowed, beads of sweat formed on Xanth but he never lost sight of his questions, the most pure form of himself.

As he went on, the lump began to take shape, solidifying and expanding. Eventually the singular burning question was there, the one he asked himself most of all, the one left when all others where pulled away, "Who am I?" With that the lump was formed, Xanth picked it up with the tongs and placed it in the water barrel. Steam rose up, hissing sounded, and Xanth placed a lump of Tin upon the Table.

Tin the least pure of all the base metals, the least enlightened.

"It is done." 

You can use Tin's chemical differences from mercury and sulfer as evidence if you need to, you actually had science with you and I just pulled the Magic ex machina.

3 minutes ago, Frustration said:

"It's just wet, like wood that hasn't had time to dry, not truely composed of water. I fail to see what this proves, however, I can prove mine."

Xanth set up a ceramic heating dish and a water barrle.

"Your classification of elements describes Sulfer as aan element, Mercury as another and Tin as separate altogether correct?" Xanth hwever did not give Cancei time to respond.

"So, here I have Brimstone, almost ure fire in powdered form, what you would call Sulfer, and here, quicksilver, what you would all mercury, pure metal distilled." Xanth poured both into the pan.

"And now to bond them, Salt, mostly earth, mixed with the fire of brimstone and with the guidence of quicksilver they will become tin."

Xanth poured the salt in, and started the fire underneath.

He was careful to control the flames, but the physical ascpect was only part of what he did. The Phlisophical was just as important. Xanth searched deep within himself, removing all impurity and going to the very dpeths of the soul of himself. At his very core, was the seed of his soul, the desire for questions, the desire to understand.

Xanth innwardly focused on this above all else, while physically he had taken two sets of tongs and was folding the slowly solidifying mass. The fire roared and the metal glowed, beads of sweat formed on Xanth but he never lost sight of his questions, the most pure form of himself.

As he went on, the lump began to take shape, solidifying and expanding. Eventually the singular burning question was there, the one he asked himself most of all, the one left when all others where pulled away, "Who am I?" With that the lump was formed, Xanth picked it up with the tongs and placed it in the water barrel. Steam rose up, hissing sounded, and Xanth placed a lump of Tin upon the Table.

Tin the least pure of all the base metals, the least enlightened.

"It is done." 

This isn’t obviously magic right? The magic part was mostly internal? I was about to have the innkeeper run over with wards against evil or something, but upon closer examination it seems like he wouldn’t have noticed.

Also I’m kinda going to ignore how this was going to be a limited time only RP, pretty sure we passed that deadline like 3 separate times. =P I still do want it to have an actual end, but it’s going a lot slower than I originally thought. Which I actually like, gives me more time to think and plan. 

My next actual RP post is coming tomorrow, and hopefully I’ll think of a way to introduce some sort of conflict or actual plot. :P