I was just struck with the desire to RP, but I just left most of my 'real' RPs to focus on other things. So I've decided to start a RP, completely randomly, with absolutely no preparation or warning. 
This is a limited time only RP. I think I'll close the topic in a week or so. I just want some quick RP action. 

Ok, uh, rules
hmm let's see

rule #1: NO PREVIOUS CHARACTERS. MAKE A NEW ONE. Don't create too much of the character either, this is an impromptu RP, it wants impromptu characters. Develop the character as it goes on. Don't just port the personality of an old character onto a new name either. I'd also like it if you didn't make the character related to anything else. Meaning, no universe-hoppers, no pre-existing magic system users, no naming systems that match up with other characters, absolutely no relation to anything else at all. (cough connie and musical naming theme cough)
rule #2: DON'T BE OP. Start low-powered, we can 'level-up' as it goes. 
rule #3: I'm not necessarily the DM or anything like that, I'm saving that idea for something else, but maybe, just for the very beginning, let me drive the plot with NPC's? I just don't want too many people to introduce too many other plotlines. This is a quest, I want it to be rather centralized. Once we get into it, you're totally fine to introduce all sorts of smaller conflicts, but at the beginning, lets keep things simple. 
rule #5: Because this is going to have a limited shelf life, I'd prefer if people joined at or close to the start. It wouldn't be impossible to join mid-game, but this isn't FotT. 

Ok, that's basically it. So, uhh, setting. 
I want this to be the most traditional, cliche roleplay you can imagine. Like, Orcs, Elves, Dwarves, Dragons. Your basic DnD setting. The most traditional 'quest' ever. No gimmicks. No expectations subverted. Just a normal quest. Also, although this is a DnD-like setting, the actual RP is not DnD structured at all. Just similar settings. Making this very clear because I think there are a few more DnD structured RPs about to be popping up, and I want to make sure that it is clear that this isn't one of those, this is still your classic FFRP. 
That's probably it. 

Tualak the Grand, world famous court-bard, was bored. He sat in his customary chair in the corner of The Silver Platter, one of the most reputable inns in the capital city of Heradon. He iddly plucked away at his lyre, just playing whatever garbage came to mind. He soon had a large crowd watching. He paused for a second, and they all erupted into thunderous applause. 
"Oh bug off!" he yelled, "I'm not even actually playing anything! That last 'song' was a C-Scale for Ledonai's sake! I didn't even play it right! Leave me alone!" 
"Master Tualak, I find it hard to believe that you were simply playing scales." a member of the audience said, wiping a tear from his eye, "That was the single most beautiful thing I've ever heard. You have single handedly changed my entire life."
Tualak blinked. He opened his mouth to yell some sense into this crowd of idiots, changed his mind, shook his head in disbelief, and went to go get drunk. As he walked away, the crowd erupted into applause again. 
He spun around. "WHAT. WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU CLAPPING FOR???"
A different member of the audience replied, "Oh great master Tualak, even the sounds of your footsteps as you walk away are melodious. I've never heard anything so wonderous in my life."
Tualak starred at the man in utter shock. 
"GET. OUT."
The crowd complied, eager to do whatever Tualak asked of them. He rubbed his head in confusion, got a drink from the bartender, and sank into a booth in the corner. 
He sat in his chair, wondering how the people of this city could be so dense. This was the 5th time that month that something like that had happened to him. Maybe one of the other court-bards was staging an elaborate prank. He wouldn't be surprised. They could be incredibly childish if their pride was wounded. And Tualak had wounded a lot of pride recently. 

He shook his head, and decided to simply relax and focus on his drink. 

Okay, few more specific worldbuilding rules that I just thought of while writing that. 
1. Magic exists, no specifc magic system, you can just be a traditional soft-magic gandalf-style wizard if you want. 
2. In this specific country and city, Magic is outlawed. Its almost a conspiracy, most regular citizens don't even believe it actually exists. (Sort of like Aes Sedai were in the two rivers. More of a story than an actual group of people. Except this country is a lot bigger than the two rivers. (its a WoT analogy, don't worry if that didn't make sense)) They are aware of other sentient species, but they are a rare occurance in this mainly human city. So if you want to be a dwarven wizard or somehting, be sure to have them somewhat sneaky. :P

thats basically it. I don't now if that'll tie into the plot, but thats what I got so far. 

I'll wait for a few people to 'join' before advancing the plot, just write a scene introducing your character, have them enter the same inn, sit down somewhere, and wait. Y'all can interact with Tualak and the other players if you want, just while we wait, but nothing more than simple introductions and making conversation. I'll introduce plot once we got a fair amount of people. 

Also, the barkeep/inkeeper isn't important, feel free to RP him as an NPC. 

Edited by Dannex
dont ya just love it when you find a typo immediately after pressing enter

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Ookla the Channelknight said:

An ambiguous character right? No need to go crazy, this is meant to grow on stage, in the RP, not in background with charcter backstory. I have absolutely nothing for Tualak besides what is in that opening RP and what's hinted at happening. 

1 minute ago, Ookla the Disproportionate said:

An ambiguous character right? No need to go crazy, this is meant to grow on stage, in the RP, not in background with charcter backstory. I have absolutely nothing for Tualak besides what is in that opening RP and what's hinted at happening. 

Just let me design a quick magic system, drop it on a character with an arbitrary personality, and call it a day.

9 minutes ago, Ookla the Reserved said:

Sevyr sighed. It seemed the music was over. How sad, how sad...

I am... very intregued. What is going on here? A sentient whisper? I'm excited to find out.
Allow me to contrive a way for Tualak to keep playing...
I can introduce another character while I'm at it. 

As Tualak sat, enjoying his drink in silence, a large figure came through the doorway. The man was tall, roughly 6 feet, with blond hair, an unusual trait in these parts. However, his most notable characteristic was his shiny steel armor. Some new member of the King's guards, Tualak thought, only the newbies are naive enough to go around wearing their armor. They think it makes them look tough. They should realize it'll only draw unwanted attention. The King wasn't the most popular figure these days. Upon further examining of this man however, Tualak realized he had been way off. That armor only looks new, there are noticeable dents in the armor, and some creases where you can tell it has been mended. This man is no newbie, only a seasoned veteran would have that many dents. Why keep his armor that clean then? Seems like an unnecessary amount of work...
Tualak let his curiosity get the better of him and went over to the bar to talk to the man. The man noticed him coming and nodded in greetings.

"Wearing shiny armor like that can bring some attention to a man." Tualak said. 
"Apparently it has," the man responded with a smile. He spoke with a slight accent. 
Tualak smiled and held out his hand. "Tualak, court-bard."
The man took his hand. "Gaboranth, Former knight of Alandaire."
Tualak raised an eyebrow. "Alandaire? You're a long way from home friend. What's your story?"
Gaboranth shook his head. "My story is one of the only things I still own, it'll take a lot more than that to pry it out of me."
"Fair enough, I can respect a man's privacy. Answer me this though, why keep your armor in such good condition? I can tell it's older than it looks, but you keep it clean enough to see your reflection in it."
Gaboranth nodded. "That I'll answer, but my answers aren't free. I've traveled a long way, if you really are a court-bard, would you play me something? It's been a while since I've heard music of any kind."
Tualak nodded. Seemed like a fair enough request. After checking to be sure the insane crowd from earlier was truly gone, he began to play a simple tune. Slow, relaxing, perfect for listening to after a long day of traveling. Gaboranth visibly relaxed as Tualak played. 

7 minutes ago, Ookla the Reserved said:

Sevyr had almost drifted out of earshot when the music began to play once more. How wonderful, how beautiful...

She drifted back, humming the beginnings of harmony.

I have absolutely no idea what Sevyr is but I think I really like it. 
Would Tualak be able to hear this harmony? Is whatever she is an entire species? Is she unique? Would Tualak have any knowledge of her or things like her? 

Guest Somebody from Scadrial
Spoiler

I'll join! I'll be Perr, a kindhearted young woman, who just wants there to be good in the world. She has some Fey ancestry, but not much.

Is it ok if I make a wandering traveler of little importance? Just to introduce my character?

Edited by Somebody from Sel

11 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:
  Hide contents

I'll join! I'll be Perr, a kindhearted young woman, who just wants there to be good in the world. She has some Fey ancestry, but not much.

Is it ok if I make a wandering traveler of little importance? Just to introduce my character?

Sure, I think. You can write up whatever scene you want, just as long as she ends up in the Inn. 
Also, it’s more customary to use quotes for OOC discussion, not spoilers. It doesn’t really matter, so you do whatever you want, but most people use quotes. 

Edited by Ookla the Disproportionate

1 hour ago, Ookla the Disproportionate said:

Spoiler

I believe spoilers show up in quotes, but quotes don't, I just do it because it's easier.

"Uh, hello Madam, would you be so kind as to lead me to the local inn?'' Perr notices the poor traveler, and can't help but say, "Oh you poor thing, of course I will take you to the tavern."

She leads him to the Silver Platter. When she arrives she wishes him a good day: "Good luck to you sir, have a good day!" Just as she's about to wander out she hears entrancing music. Oh, I must absolutely thank that minstrel for putting on such a good song!

Spoiler

With Perr explanation marks generally mean excitement, not anger.

Okay, I waited a while to see if anyone else wanted to join, but that was probably a bad idea because it got burried quickly. I forget how fast the RP section goes. So I’ll officially start sometime tomorrow afternoon. That’s 16-20 hours from now. So if you want to join, last chance! Technically not, you could join mid-game, but I want to have a strong start. 

Edit: the “about 1 week limit” starts tomorrow too. 

All right, let’s get this party started. (See what I did there?)

On 12/10/2020 at 0:31 PM, Ookla the Reserved said:

Sevyr had almost drifted out of earshot when the music began to play once more. How wonderful, how beautiful...

She drifted back, humming the beginnings of harmony.

As Tualak played, he thought he heard someone singing a harmony to his song. Very quietly, as if the person was very far away, or as if they were whispering. 
Could that be a...no, impossible, all the way out here in Heradon? I must just be hearing things. 

While Tualak puzzled over this mysterious harmony, a woman entered the Inn, apparently leading a lost merchant. She turned to walk away, but instead came towards Tualak. 

So, Tualak does know what Sevyr is, but as I don’t, I did a little cop-out thing there. 

2 minutes ago, Ookla the Disproportionate said:

As Tualak played, he thought he heard someone singing a harmony to his song. Very quietly, as if the person was very far away, or as if they were whispering. 
Could that be a...no, impossible, all the way out here in Heradon? I must just be hearing things. 

While Tualak puzzled over this mysterious harmony, a woman entered the Inn, apparently leading a lost merchant. She turned to walk away, but instead came towards Tualak. 

She politely waits until he finishes and then drops a very pretty penny into [something?]. "Oh, sir what a nice sing!"

Cancei starts taking notes on the strength, weight and flexibility of the hatchling's bones and comparing the values to previous findings. Cancei hadn't been able to study many dragons, seeing as they were quite dangerous as adults and they protected their young, but after studying 5 hatchlings in half as many years, he was becoming increasingly certain that a hatchling's bones were too flexible and heavy to allow for flight. 

I really need to get an adult to study. The bones have incredible potential, considering how strong and light they must be to allow a dragon to fly. If I can discover the chemical composition and the structure of them...

12 minutes ago, Ookla the Rhadamanthine said:

Cancei the dragon scientist looks up from dissecting a hatchling.

"I'm in!"

Alas, Cancei was speaking aloud to an empty room, as the narrator had apparently not read the OP and had not written Cancei into the current scene, which is the nearly empty tavern of an inn. 

9 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:

She politely waits until he finishes and then drops a very pretty penny into [something?]. "Oh, sir what a nice song!"

Tualak finished his song, and the Woman dropped a penny into his drink. 

:P

Tualak was eager to get back to his conversation with Gaboranth, but he decided to be polite to this kind woman, even though she ruined his drink. He didn’t need the money, he was a court-bard, sponsored by Dukes and Chancellors across the continent, but most people never donated anything. They just took his playing for granted. Even the rabid mob of fans earlier hadn’t offered a single coin. 
“Thank you for the donation m’lady, too many these days take minstrels like me for granted. I am Tualak, head court-bard in this province.”