Sel is a microcosm of the Cosmere

Ixthos

It just occurred to me that Sel, in general, is a very accurate scaled down version of the rest of the Cosmere

• It once was ruled by the divine, but that divine - singular for the Cosmere, two for Sel - was destroyed, changing the nature of magic throughout it - indeed, the magic on Sel originated in its varieties with that damage, while the Cosmere's magics are fuelled by shards
  • It has three great empires and several smaller ones under the shadow the of the strength of those empires, just as the Cosmere's three main planets are Sel, Roshar, and Scadrial, each content to rule itself and ignore the others for now, and each the backbone of a major Cosmere series
  • Each nation has its own unique magic, powered by what is left of the divine

I wonder if there are other similarities?

I suppose you could argue that all Selish magics being a mix of Devotion and Dominion (albeit sometimes weighted more heavily to one) is similar to how the Investiture of all sixteen Shards permeates the Cosmere, though some Shards are much more influential in some locations than others.

On the other hand, the region-locking of Selish magic is pretty much the opposite of the rest of the Cosmere where magic generally doesn't care about location. Thanks for that, Odium.

32 minutes ago, Ookla the Crimson King said:

I suppose you could argue that all Selish magics being a mix of Devotion and Dominion (albeit sometimes weighted more heavily to one) is similar to how the Investiture of all sixteen Shards permeates the Cosmere, though some Shards are much more influential in some locations than others.

On the other hand, the region-locking of Selish magic is pretty much the opposite of the rest of the Cosmere where magic generally doesn't care about location. Thanks for that, Odium.

True, though Sel has the most - in theory - magic systems in the Cosmere, so the similarity is in that each region is like a planet, the local magic systems similar to one another but different from those in other regions, much like how Scadrial has its own magic while Roshar has its own, each centred on their own ideas of metals and spren respectively. Basically, think of each region in Sel as a planet, each with its own unique magic. It isn't a perfect analogy, as you say Cosmere magics can be used anywhere except for Sel's own systems, but I did think it was interesting.