The Shin (Brandon's inspiration)

Taverenesque

I was recently playing dreidel with my family, and came across an interesting coincidence. In case you don't know, dreidel is a spinning top game with four different sides. Each is represented by a symbol (Hei, gimmel, nun, and shin). The symbol that was interesting to me was the one called "Shin". What you do when you roll a Shin, is to add one coin to the pot. In shinovar, there is a saying that "blessed is he who adds", and I can't help but wonder if Brandon got the name (and at least some of the characteristics of this culture) from the dreidel game.

Thoughts? Has this been posted before and I couldn't find it?

4 hours ago, Taverenesque said:

I was recently playing dreidel with my family, and came across an interesting coincidence. In case you don't know, dreidel is a spinning top game with four different sides. Each is represented by a symbol (Hei, gimmel, nun, and shin). The symbol that was interesting to me was the one called "Shin". What you do when you roll a Shin, is to add one coin to the pot. In shinovar, there is a saying that "blessed is he who adds", and I can't help but wonder if Brandon got the name (and at least some of the characteristics of this culture) from the dreidel game.

Thoughts? Has this been posted before and I couldn't find it?

Those are Hebrew letters, and Roshar has a lot of Hebraic influences on it, such as the name Kholin being like Cohan, etc. So I can definitely see that as a possible influence. Shin / Sin is the second last letter in the alephbet, the Hebrew alphabet.

• 2 weeks later...

So Moash, the traitorous vengeful storming servant of odium is named after Moshe, the holy miracle worker who liberated the hebrews from egypt? Stormfather, why?

Here is more content on the whole hebrew language  topic.

Edited by Hoid the Drifter