The Ruinous Rituals of the Davars

SOM1else

This is a idea I came up with before Rhythm of War came out. Originally I collected a bunch of information to connect the Ghostbloods to Hemalurgy but then the Thaidakar reveal made all that irrelevant.

Theory: The Davar family were practicing Hemalurgist. Shallan's Mother was spiked before her death and Shallan possibly has spikes that she is not aware of due to her repressed memories.

This theory provides an explanation to several of the loose threads we have with the Ghostbloods. The Ghostbloods are led by a man named Thaidakar who goes by the title Lord of Scars, there is strong evidence to suggest that this man is actually Kelsier the Survivor. Their goal as explained to Shallan is to traffic Investiture and they are currently trying to get easy access on and off Roshar. Two major things we don't know about the Ghostbloods is why were they involved with the Davar family and why are they trying to kill Jasnah Kohlin.

Why were the Ghostbloods involved with the Davar Family?

The GB need an easy way on and off of Roshar so they can traffic Stormlight. They are well aware of Hemalurgy due to their connections to Scardrial. I believe that they were attempting to use Duralamin spikes to create a psuedo-Nahal bond. This would explain why they have spent so much effort trying to kill Jasnah, as an Elsecaller she has access to the surge of Transportation which would be very valuable to their cause. I theorize that A Duralmin spike made from a Lightweaver was given to Shallan Davar and this is where the Radiant persona and bond with Testament originated.

Evidence from Rhythm of War - Chapter 93

You have fought this fight every day of your life, Shallan. And you are not weak.”

“Aren’t I?” Shallan demanded, spinning. “I killed my own father! I strangled him with my own hands!”

The words cut deep, like a spike through the heart. Veil winced visibly. But that cut to the heart somehow let warmth bleed out, flowing through her. “You have borne that truth for a year and a half, Shallan,” Veil said, stepping forward. “You kept going. You were strong enough. You made the oath.”

“And Mother?” Shallan snapped. “Do you remember the feel of the Blade forming in our hands for the first time, Veil? I do. Do you remember the horror I felt at the strike, which I never meant to make?”

Her mother, with stark red hair—a length of metal in her chest as her beautiful green eyes turned to coal. Burning out of her face. Shallan’s voice, screaming at what she’d done. Screaming, begging to take it back. Wishing she were dead. Wishing … Wishing …

Another spike to the heart. More warmth bleeding out, blood flowing with thunderous heartbeats. Veil always felt so cold, but today she felt warm. Warm with pain. Warm with life.

In this excerpt Brandon uses the metaphor of being stabbed through the heart with a spike TWICE to describe the pain Shallan feels at remembering her childhood. Additionally Shallan remembers her mother lying on the ground with "a length of metal in her chest" not a Shardblade in her chest. Shardblades don't cut through human flesh and they vanish when not being held. I'm not saying that Shallan didn't kill her mother with the Testament blade but what I am saying is that the metal that she is describing doesn't fit what we know of Shardblades but it does fit what we know about hemalurgic spikes. This also explains why Shallan believed her Mother's Soul is locked in the safe. If hemalurgy was done on her it would make sense that she would have had some understanding of what was being done to her and when she killed her mother she would have been under the impression that the Testament blade had absorbed her mother's soul.

Thoughts?

Hemalurgy would tend to drive away spren. They can sense the Spiritual damage or something like that. And I think Adolin would have noticed metal sticking out of Shallan, since they're married and all...

Long WoB. Relevant part

Djarskublar (paraphrased)

So say you go to Roshar and you give somebody a Hemalurgic spike for some Allomantic power, don't care what, and you use it to become a savant. Does that qualify them as 'broken' enough to become a Radiant? As long as they are also following the Ideals to attract a spren.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

So becoming a Radiant is a spectrum of terminologies. It... probably, but you would have to find a Radiant who would, or a spren who would be willing to touch that, okay? It's going to drive them back.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/111/#e4961

On 12/8/2020 at 4:30 PM, RShara said:

Hemalurgy would tend to drive away spren. They can sense the Spiritual damage or something like that. And I think Adolin would have noticed metal sticking out of Shallan, since they're married and all...

Long WoB. Relevant part

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/111/#e4961

It says you have to find a spren that would touch that. We have seen some spren care about things that other spren find inconsequential. Honor spren don't care about the law as long as its right. Maybe cryptics care less about damage done by Hemalurgy. It seems interesting the word choice. When I read TWoK I didn't realize Shallan had a shardblade at first but its obvious when you go back and read it. Wouldn't count this theory out offhand.