Socially Awkward Bookworms

Tesh

I've been totally fine with all the lockdowns and whatnot. Sure, I miss hanging out with my friends, but I actually love not having to make excuses for not doing something every weekend, and I have more time for all my projects and hobbies. I have more time for myself. It might sound selfish but the only thing I miss is traveling. Other than that I don't miss all the awkward social interactions. 

It's kind of weird, but I could probably go days without interacting with anybody at all, and I've loved the quarantine. I guess I'm just extremely introverted, but I don't even seem to notice when I haven't talked to people for hours. It's not that I don't like people; it's just my brain is too distracting and constantly coming up with random ideas for stories that require most of my attention. I also mentally talk to my fictional characters, and that might mean I'm probably insane, but that can keep me occupied and not feeling lonely for hours. I don't know if anyone else does that, but it's incredibly strange. Even when I'm having an actual conversation with someone, I can imagine my characters chiming in on the conversation, and sometimes I have to mentally scold them to shut up because they're distracting me too much or making me laugh. I'm pretty sure it's a method I use to build their personalities so that I understand them when I actually sit down to write them, but it's really weird.

41 minutes ago, Condensation said:

Today I got my friend - who's already read some of Brandon's books - to read Keeper of the Lost Cities! Also, it's apparently being made into a movie!!!

Ahh...

Those books...

Yeah.

They weren't my favorite...

Just now, Condensation said:

:)

And you didn't like them? Shame.

It's been a few years, now, and I'm not quite sure why I don't like them... Well, I do, I just don't know how to explain it because it's kind of weird.

• 2 months later...
On 12/7/2020 at 11:22 PM, Flying said:

I'm honestly pretty socially awkward. I love books because I have a hard time talking to people in real life, so I feel less lonely when I get to read about fictional people. Renarin and Kaladin are my homies (and literally my whole family knows this because I've called them "my homies" multiple times). 

Also, I have like two close friends in real life and I constantly pester them with random paragraphs from things I've written. They normally get kind of annoyed because I will send the most random paragraphs that only I think are cool, but today I texted one of them something and he actually liked it. And then later in the day he asked me for a story. Normally everyone is annoyed at me but today someone actually asked me to tell them about my stories. This made me way happier than it probably should have and honestly has been a huge confidence boost. Hoid would be proud :') 

Please tell me ALL your stories and I will pick holes in them (maybe) so they can be more awesomer. I like reading stories.

On 1/12/2021 at 9:18 PM, Condensation said:

Today I got my friend - who's already read some of Brandon's books - to read Keeper of the Lost Cities! Also, it's apparently being made into a movie!!!

My 3rd sister likes the first one but not any of the others. She says they're like a series of explosions and the people get together and say "we should really do something about this" "what would we do tho" "idk" and then they end up doing something completely different that maybe helps solve one of the three explosions that happened that book. :)

I summarized it as "one step forward, three steps back." :)

The conversation was fun. :)

About the socially awkward part: I have a hard time talking to people who don't talk to me first and have never talked to me before - unless I'm closely related to them. Like if I know someone's my cousin but haven't ever talked to them before I can talk to them. Kind of. Maybe.

It's easiest for me to talk to people I've talked to before.

Edited by Tani

6 hours ago, Tani said:

About the socially awkward part: I have a hard time talking to people who don't talk to me first and have never talked to me before - unless I'm closely related to them. Like if I know someone's my cousin but haven't ever talked to them before I can talk to them. Kind of.

It's easiest for me to talk to people I've talked to before.

Relatable :lol:

Welcome to this corner of the Shard! Have a welcome s’more

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1hcM8lRD-NQbFXmZQNha

By the way, we like to discourage posting twice or more in a row to keep threads neater. You can quote multiple people by clicking the + button on the bottom left of posts. It’s nothing to worry about, we all do it at some point or another ^_^

• 1 year later...

Aloha fellow socially awkward bookworms.

On 3/26/2021 at 10:33 AM, Tani said:

About the socially awkward part: I have a hard time talking to people who don't talk to me first and have never talked to me before - unless I'm closely related to them. Like if I know someone's my cousin but haven't ever talked to them before I can talk to them. Kind of. Maybe.

Also, that sums up my life outside of my house to a T. 

On 8/27/2022 at 11:36 AM, Trutharchivist said:

Welcome! We have a (practically dead) discord server - I'm not sure whether or not it's linked here.

Awkwardly retreats to the corner, though feels somewhat less socially awkward at the moment.

Absolutely love to join, where do I find the link?

Just FYI half the time you feel socially awkward it's all in you're head and nobody else really notices.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm socially awkward. By the way, did everyone on this thread revert to the discord? 

P.S.- I'm asking this because the link to the server is re-directing me to the app in general and not the invite link.

Edited by solarcat93

25 minutes ago, The Halcyon Girl said:

Hey peeps! 
I’m… interesting socially. I’ll be quiet almost completely unless 1) The group is loud (YAYY! MY FAVORITE PEEPS!) or 2) I have an anchor (a friend).

-Haly

3 hours ago, solarcat93 said:

Hello, I'm socially awkward. By the way, did everyone on this thread revert to the discord? 

P.S.- I'm asking this because the link to the server is re-directing me to the app in general and not the invite link.

The Discord is more active than the thread, which, admittedly, isn't necessarily much. I'm unsure whether the link is still working, might've sent a temporary one. If it doesn't I can send another one.

1 minute ago, Trutharchivist said:

The Discord is more active than the thread, which, admittedly, isn't necessarily much. I'm unsure whether the link is still working, might've sent a temporary one. If it doesn't I can send another one.

That’s okay. I don’t have discord. Thanks though!

8 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

There issss a way you can send permanent ones too in the settings. Can I have the link? :)