Ancient languages or agriculture?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should I make all the terms of the magic system agricultural ones?

• Why change the terms? everything is great as it is.
    • No. You should actually latinate all the agricultural terms, or at least use some ancient lanuage. What's interesting in agriculture?
    • Yes. This is supposed to be for a normal fantasy book, right? Why use official, semi-scientific names for things?
    • Maybe you should make two term sets, one official and one for daily use. Now you only need to find alternative terms for both directions! How fun!

Just now, Trutharchivist said:

Dragons could theoretically work - I did say that a multiverse was included. But why truth as their Center? Please add reasoning.

I meant truth as a general idea for a center, not necessarily specifically as Center for dragons. If truth is for dragons, then maybe the dragons are not capable of lying?(this is actually in lots of literature, that dragons are unable to lie.)

On 25.4.2022 at 9:30 PM, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

I meant truth as a general idea for a center, not necessarily specifically as Center for dragons. If truth is for dragons, then maybe the dragons are not capable of lying?(this is actually in lots of literature, that dragons are unable to lie.)

Hmmm... Yeah, I guess it makes some kind of sense. Did you mean it as an opposite to the snakes' Deception Center? If so, it would be really interesting to put dragons in this slot, since there is a connection between dragons and snakes; in fact, the original myth of Kadmus is unclear (as far as I recall) about whether the son of Ares he killed was a snake or a dragon, and either way Kadmus became a snake in the end. The only problem is that I tried to work with a specific template, and in this template the place of the snakes doesn't call for an opposite. Also, truth won't work as a Center in the way I defined it, I believe; Truthfulness and Sincerity might. Now, how will this Center work?

Harvest - it makes a person less willing to share truths, personal or general. To make it a good opposite to the Deception Center of the Snakes, they should, by Planting, cause people to not only conceal information but outright deceive - which makes sense, seeing to the fact that's the Center's name. The Truthfulness Center Planting will make people more truthful, sincere and willing to share information. But the real question is, what will the Cultivation look like? I don't want it to be merely "revealing illusions", since it would make their powers dependable in the snakes' powers, deeming them useless. So, I don't know. Revealing the true nature of things, perhaps? It can be something like making a poison mushroom look poisonous for everyone that sees it, and such of the likeness. It can be useful for multiple things. Maybe they'll open portals between universes by showing that once upon a time, those universes were, essentially, one and the same. The Fertilization will be naturally, them being unable to lie, and complied to be truthful and sincere.

5 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

Hmmm... Yeah, I guess it makes some kind of sense. Did you mean it as an opposite to the snakes' Deception Center? If so, it would be really interesting to put dragons in this slot, since there is a connection between dragons and snakes; in fact, the original myth of Kadmus is unclear (as far as I recall) about whether the son of Ares he killed was a snake or a dragon, and either way Kadmus became a snake in the end. The only problem is that I tried to work with a specific template, and in this template the place of the snakes doesn't call for an opposite. Also, truth won't work as a Center in the way I defined it, I believe; Truthfulness and Sincerity might. Now, how will this Center work?

Harvest - it makes a person less willing to share truths, personal or general. To make it a good opposite to the Deception Center of the Snakes, they should, by Planting, cause people to not only conceal information but outright deceive - which makes sense, seeing to the fact that's the Center's name. The Truthfulness Center Planting will make people more truthful, sincere and willing to share information. But the real question is, what will the Cultivation look like? I don't want it to be merely "revealing illusions", since it would make their powers dependable in the snakes' powers, deeming them useless. So, I don't know. Revealing the true nature of things, perhaps? It can be something like making a poison mushroom look poisonous for everyone that sees it, and such of the likeness. It can be useful for multiple things. Maybe they'll open portals between universes by showing that once upon a time, those universes were, essentially, one and the same. The Fertilization will be naturally, them being unable to lie, and complied to be truthful and sincere.

I understand the first problems, especially with the system. For the Cultivation, perhaps revealing a truth about something, or telling if some one/thing is speaking truth? Or maybe making something from a possibility to a truth?

53 minutes ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

I understand the first problems, especially with the system. For the Cultivation, perhaps revealing a truth about something, or telling if some one/thing is speaking truth? Or maybe making something from a possibility to a truth?

The first option, I believe, resembles what I offered. The second, though... It won't work. The Cultivation cannot affect sapient creatures, and non-sapient creatures can't really lie or tell the truth. The last option is similar to what I did with the owls, which might need some revision.

19 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

The first option, I believe, resembles what I offered. The second, though... It won't work. The Cultivation cannot affect sapient creatures, and non-sapient creatures can't really lie or tell the truth. The last option is similar to what I did with the owls, which might need some revision.

yea, I only have vague ideas. If I think of anything else for the Cultivation of Truth, I'll put it here.

• 4 weeks later...

I really like this system!
A few questions:

1. Does stored harvest (Growth?) leak, or does it exist in storage until used? If the former, does the leaking have any effects?
  2. How does society function? Is there political tension, either between classical fantasy races and the Mindgardeners, or between the different factions mindgardeners? If so, how severe are the tensions?
  3. Does everyone have these abilities? If not, is there a reason?
  4. How advanced is the technology? Is there some kind of fabrial-esque tech that works within the magic system?
  5. Are there any notable figures? If so, what are they notable for?

Thank you for reading through these very poorly thought out questions. As stated earlier, I really like this magic system!

1 hour ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

I really like this system!
A few questions:

1. Does stored harvest (Growth?) leak, or does it exist in storage until used? If the former, does the leaking have any effects?
  2. How does society function? Is there political tension, either between classical fantasy races and the Mindgardeners, or between the different factions mindgardeners? If so, how severe are the tensions?
  3. Does everyone have these abilities? If not, is there a reason?
  4. How advanced is the technology? Is there some kind of fabrial-esque tech that works within the magic system?
  5. Are there any notable figures? If so, what are they notable for?

Thank you for reading through these very poorly thought out questions. As stated earlier, I really like this magic system!

Welcome to the Shard! And thank you for reading my magic system. I'll try to answer your questions by order.

1. Harvest doesn't exactly leak, but Fertilization does take some Harvest, and it's a passive use of the magic system. So it sort of decays with time, I guess.

2. Society and politics are the most underdeveloped parts in this world, unfortunately. I guess there might be some tension between different sapient species, and between different mindgardeners. The thing is, the mindgardeners are generally animals, though there are exceptions. They don't live within human - or any other sapient species - society, or even much with each other. They don't really act that much like animals, admittedly, but they don't act much like sapients, either. They're not much liked though. And Wanderers mostly live in exile, unwanted by the regular society. How severe are the tensions? Different species of the Faunologos have different Centers, which function somewhat like Intent in the Cosmere, I guess. Due to that, creatures with opposing Centers are not going to like each other. I can't really say how severely, but they might fight each other whenever they meet. Which, admittedly, isn't too often.

3. No. The mindgardening abilities are something natural to the Faunologos, not inherent for sapient creatures. It's due to the symbolic nature of the magic system - sapient creatures don't symbolise anything in particular, they can represent everything, in theory, since they contain all the potential Centers naturally. That's why it doesn't come naturally to sapients - about animals In general I still need to think up why the Faunologos are different from regular animals.

4. No fabrial-esque, I'm afraid. Mostly, I intend to have them with more medieval technology, like a traditional fantasy world. I probably should consider changing that, though.

5. For now, not much notable figures. Though I really need to think about it more.

Thank you for asking those questions! When I'll have more time to consider, I'll think of better answers. As I see it, people asking questions is what makes me see the holes and problems with this magic system, and helps me clarifying things. So, no matter how poorly-thought you think those questions, they are actually quite helpful.

8 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

1. Harvest doesn't exactly leak, but Fertilization does take some Harvest, and it's a passive use of the magic system. So it sort of decays with time, I guess.

2. Society and politics are the most underdeveloped parts in this world, unfortunately. I guess there might be some tension between different sapient species, and between different mindgardeners. The thing is, the mindgardeners are generally animals, though there are exceptions. They don't live within human - or any other sapient species - society, or even much with each other. They don't really act that much like animals, admittedly, but they don't act much like sapients, either. They're not much liked though. And Wanderers mostly live in exile, unwanted by the regular society. How severe are the tensions? Different species of the Faunologos have different Centers, which function somewhat like Intent in the Cosmere, I guess. Due to that, creatures with opposing Centers are not going to like each other. I can't really say how severely, but they might fight each other whenever they meet. Which, admittedly, isn't too often.

3. No. The mindgardening abilities are something natural to the Faunologos, not inherent for sapient creatures. It's due to the symbolic nature of the magic system - sapient creatures don't symbolise anything in particular, they can represent everything, in theory, since they contain all the potential Centers naturally. That's why it doesn't come naturally to sapients - about animals In general I still need to think up why the Faunologos are different from regular animals.

4. No fabrial-esque, I'm afraid. Mostly, I intend to have them with more medieval technology, like a traditional fantasy world. I probably should consider changing that, though.

5. For now, not much notable figures. Though I really need to think about it more.

Thank you for asking those questions! When I'll have more time to consider, I'll think of better answers. As I see it, people asking questions is what makes me see the holes and problems with this magic system, and helps me clarifying things. So, no matter how poorly-thought you think those questions, they are actually quite helpful.

Thank you for answering the questions! I'm glad you found them helpful.