ROW Spoiler - Dalinar using all caps

joesleepsalot

Has anyone else noticed that Dalinar speaks in all caps here?? I’m posting 3 screenshots of the nook version, this is towards the end of Rhythm of War soon after Kaladin jumps off a certain high tower. Pay attention to the font.... as well as when Kaladin hears a voice in the next chapter, screenshot 3.... “not the stormfather’s”922EE1EE-16D1-45AA-9F11-97A0DECAF38F.thumb.png.cbd9a67212f3d0431ba1d26b79203636.png

0877084B-20EA-493B-828C-212833AEBF41.png

EE38CEC4-812E-423C-9E6C-5D1BFC194218.png

Just now, GameOfGroans said:

On an unrelated note, just how many Ooklas are there around here?

Just me. I’m the only one.

Spoiler

:P

Yeah it’s Ookla season right now. It’s the period of time between Peter Ahlstrom (Sanderson’s assistant if you didn’t already know) and Brandon Sanderson’s birthdays. We all change our name to “ookla the adjective” (or most of us do, some just have something relating to Ookla) because Ookla was Peter’s username on the original Sanderson discussion site, TimeWastersGuide. 

@joesleepsalot, I think you may be right

Dalinar returned from the Stormfather’s vision and found himself still flying with the Windrunners—face mask in place, wrapped in several layers of protective clothing.
He felt clunky and slow after being the winds moments ago. But he reveled in what he’d heard and felt. What he’d said.
These Words are accepted.

~ Chapter 111 Unchained, Rhythm of War

He has the biggest Connection to Honor, which is why he makes deals on behalf of Honor and presumably why he spoke in all caps here.

Edited by Honorless

6 hours ago, Ookla the Disproportionate said:

Just me. I’m the only one.

Reveal hidden contents

:P

Yeah it’s Ookla season right now. It’s the period of time between Peter Ahlstrom (Sanderson’s assistant if you didn’t already know) and Brandon Sanderson’s birthdays. We all change our name to “ookla the adjective” (or most of us do, some just have something relating to Ookla) because Ookla was Peter’s username on the original Sanderson discussion site, TimeWastersGuide. 

@Ookla The Frustrated noises

On 7.12.2020 at 10:02 AM, GameOfGroans said:

On an unrelated note, just how many Ooklas are there around here?

This. I wondered. This is a mystery.

OP, I didn't notice the caps! Thaks for pointing that out!!

I somehow just rolled with the scene, thought "ah so Bondsmiths can share repsonsibilities with their spren" and read on. I think Dalinar will become something more epic than the Stormfather eventually. Or stay himself, which would also be nice.

• 2 months later...

Seems there hasn't been much activity on this thread in a little while, but I had something to add and didn't want to start a new one when there's one already discussing this topic of Dalinar speaking in small caps.

As @joesleepsalot mentioned in the original post, we see Dalinar speak in small caps in Chapter 107, just before Uniting Kaladin. And he does it again when accepting Kal's fourth oath in 108. But I think he does it once before this too.

In RoW Chapter 71, Dalinar asks the Stormfather to show him Urithiru, and the Stormfather allows Dalinar to ride the storm with him. While en route to Urithiru, Dalinar asks the Stormfather to have mercy, and temper the fury of the storm for a couple of foragers caught in the storm. The Stormfather gives his favorite excuse - I am a storm - and refuses Dalinar's request. Dalinar is not pleased and I think this is the first time we seem him speak in small caps:

You are not merely a storm! Dalinar bellowed, his voice changing to rumbles of thunder. You are capable of choice! You hide from that, and in so doing, you are a coward!

Later in the same chapter, Dalinar forces his way back from the stormwall into the middle of the storm to get another look at Urithiru because the first look was too short. He sees Kaladin spidermanning outside Urithiru. Dalinar tries speaking to Kaladin in his own voice, but Kal doesn't seem to hear him. So he tries another tactic:

The young man didn’t move. Dalinar calmed himself, resisting the furious winds, and drew power from the soul of the storm.

Kaladin, he said.

Kaladin shifted, turning his head. His skin had gone pale, his hair matted and whipped into rain-drenched knots. Storms … he looked like a dead man.

What has happened? Dalinar demanded as the storm.

“Singer invasion,” Kaladin whispered into the wind. “Navani captured. The tower on lockdown. Other Radiants are all unconscious.”

I will find help.

“Radiant powers don’t work. Except mine. Maybe those of a Bondsmith. I’m fighting. I’m … trying.

Life before death.

He can draw power from the soul of the storm!? I definitely missed that on my first read through. Anyway, Dalinar swoops Kal up onto the balcony when he falls, and shortly thereafter exits the stormriding vision. The scribe who was writing down Dalinar's words during the episode hadn't heard the parts where Dalinar had "spoken as the storm."

It's worth noting, I think, that Dalinar does a similar sort of drawing-on-power just before the passage from RoW 107 that was part of the original post:

In a place where all things Connected. A place beyond Shadesmar. A place beyond time. A place where …

What is that? Dalinar asked. That warmth.

I feel nothing.

Dalinar drew the warmth close, and understood.

I'm working on my own post dedicated to discussing the "warmth" that Dalinar feels, so I don't want to go too far down that road here. But I think it's interesting that just before speaking in small caps and doing cool Bondsmithy things, he seems to either draw on some power related to the warmth, or gets some sort of message or idea from the warmth.

More generally I'm curious whether anyone knows of any good pre-RoW threads talking about the different fonts used when the Stormfather speaks. Has anyone been able to tease out any answers as to what tit means when he speaks in different fonts?

I recall that back OB 31, when Kaladin rode the storm and similarly asked the Stormfather to spare some people in the path of a high storm, the Stormfather chided him for making demands of the storm. He then describes himself as "the memory of a god, the fragment that remains. The soul of a storm and the mind of eternity." Perhaps the different fonts relate to these different aspects of the Stormfather?