12.7.20- ginger_reckoning-ALITC: character spotlight (ch 10+12) (V, G?) 4800 words

ginger_reckoning

On 12/13/2020 at 11:58 AM, ginger_reckoning said:

After yours and @shatteredsmooth's comments, I think in the next draft I will probably go ahead and just cut the violence altogether. While she will still have intrusive thoughts, I think that it would be good to just avoid the stigma altogether and have her thoughts be more similar to others I know with OCD. I think the main reason I wanted to go with the violent thoughts is that i thought they would be a bit more...idk relatable for the average reader? Because who doesn't want to just hit someone every once in a while? But I think you are absolutely correct about walking a thin line here, and perpetuating harmful stigmas about mental illness is the exact opposite of what I'm trying to do here, so I think I will mellow it out in general. 

I think this is a great idea. There are so many of other types of intrusive thoughts you could use that won't perpetuate the stigma of mentally ill people being dangerous or violent. 

Also, don't worry about making the OCD seem related to the average reader. Focus more on accuracy. It's  much more important to portray something accurate and respectful, and do try to write something that fight the stigma, not further it. Other aspects of the character can and are plenty relatable.