Bonding more than one spren

PiedPiper

Question

4 answers to this question

I personally doubt it is possible to bond to of the same type of spren, normally (I will expound on the "normally" bit); or, if you can, I doubt power would increase.

So, a spren bond is an example of Connection.  While I don't think we have the knowledge to be sure of this, I doubt one's Spiritweb could is compatible with more than one of the same bond.  But, as stated, we have no knowledge of anything like this.  The closest we have is Hoid bonding a Cryptic while he is a Yolish Lightweaver.  Those are different uses of Investiture which, I believe, is why the bond worked.  Now, the exceptions: if one were to store the Nahel bond in a Connection metalmind, I believe a second spren could bond you.  I do not know how tapping the metalmind after that would work, however.  Unfortunately we just don't have the information.

Now, lets think logically: how would swearing Ideals work with two of the same spren?  What if you are of the Third, Fourth Ideal when a second spren bonds you?  How would that work?  I just don't think the Connection is compatible.

But, lets assume that what you theorize would work.  Would it increase power?  I do not think so.  I would bet that someone on Roshar has thought of this and tried it.  And lets assume it worked.  Why didn't every Radiant become a super Radiant?  If there was the possibility of an advantage that big, why wouldn't they take it?  If there are spare spren without bonds, would you want to bond a new, inexperienced Knight?  Or one that is at the Fourth Ideal and suddenly make them twice as strong?

So, that is my take on the issue.  Is it possible?  Theoretically, but I believe the method would be complicated.  But if it ever was tried, I doubt it was beneficial.

20 hours ago, ChaseBakes said:

So, a spren bond is an example of Connection.  While I don't think we have the knowledge to be sure of this, I doubt one's Spiritweb could is compatible with more than one of the same bond.  But, as stated, we have no knowledge of anything like this.  The closest we have is Hoid bonding a Cryptic while he is a Yolish Lightweaver. 

we do actually have a closer example: Nale with his honorblade is also a 5th oath skybreaker.

I think the spiritweb doubt you raise may be valid, but it's the only thing I can think of that might prevent this.  if it can happen, then I think it would likely increase one's power.

1 hour ago, Raven Wilder said:

I'm leaning towards the idea that it's theoretically doable, but the odds of finding two spren of different Orders who'd agree to it is next to impossible.

this one is about Spren of the same type/order.  Whether you could bond 2 spren of the same order. Though I think you comment is still mostly right - if it is technically possible, it would still be next to impossible to get 2 spren of the same type to bond you.