Navani Kholin Appreciation Thread [Support]

Rushu42

I'm surprised that there isn't already a thread by this name. After Rhythm of War, Navani skyrocketed to the top of my list of favorite characters, both in SA and in the Cosmere at large. So here's a thread for all those that feel the same way I do. Time to fangirl over Roshar's favorite Scholar-Queen!

[I'll probably contribute a post or two about why exactly I love Navani, but I think I'll keep the OP free of the details for now.]

I mean she accidentally invented the airplane while trying to make the Fourth Bridge.  One of the early designs had wings and kept rising.  Sure it wasn't practical for their needs, but that's like some Da Vinci level vision.

Edited by Nesh

Before RoW when I heard it was possible Navani would become a more major character I had mixed feelings. I really wanted this to be a heavily Singer/Listener oriented book. But then I started my reread of the series to prep and paid a little more attention to her as a character. And man is she awesome. Even from her first appearances in WoK you know she is a powerful woman. I love how she knows what she wants and goes for it. She fights fiercely for those she loves. But she is also very reasonable and down to earth. She recognizes flaws in others, (like her own children) loves them still, but knows when things are mistakes and need to be fixed. She is also a flawed person in that she tends to make assumptions about people and situations based on preconceived ideas. (See how she originally treats Kaladin in WoR.) She is incredibly smart and creative. I love how in some ways she just doesn’t care what Alethi society or anyone really cares or thinks is proper anymore. I’m all for breaking social norms.

After RoW really getting to know her and be in her head, she is quickly growing to be a favorite of mine too. She was absolutely standout in this book. Her whole arc with Raboniel and growing into a confident scientist in her own right was so great. I hope to see her grow more in her relationships with Dalinar and Jasnah. I know she feels sort of obligated to make order of things as a queen, and with Gavilar it was a struggle and with Dalinar she wonders if it will be the same. But she really is good at organizing things and being there for people so I hope she can still do that in some ways. I hope she can grow to feel truly comfortable taking care of queenly/radiant responsibilities while still having time to do great inventive/scientific works. 

Edited to add that Steve Argyle’s art of her burning the Justice glyph in Sadeas’s warcamp is absolutely fantastic and I am seriously considering getting it as some Stormlight art in my house. 

Edited by Philomath