Connections with Allomancy and Fabrials

overlord stick

So, during the first few chapters of Rhythm of War, we read Navani's lecture before the beginning of each chapter, and my mom who just started reading noticed something. Each of the metals pointed out in the lecture are all Allomantic and the effects it's stated to have on spren almost exactly match up. For example:

Zinc (aka Rioting) - Causes spren to more strongly manifest in gemstones

Brass (aka Soothing) - Causes spren to weaken and withdraw in gemstones

Bronze (aka Seeking) - Creates warning Fabrials that can detect objects or entities nearby

Pewter (aka Thugs) - Causes a spren's attributes to "express its attribute in force"

She also noticed that in Chapter 8, whatever Renarin did to Moash strongly resembled the Eleventh Metal, although I am less sure of the connection between that event and Allomancy. Has anyone else noticed this?

2 hours ago, Ookla the Stick said:

So, during the first few chapters of Rhythm of War, we read Navani's lecture before the beginning of each chapter, and my mom who just started reading noticed something. Each of the metals pointed out in the lecture are all Allomantic and the effects it's stated to have on spren almost exactly match up. For example:

Zinc (aka Rioting) - Causes spren to more strongly manifest in gemstones

Brass (aka Soothing) - Causes spren to weaken and withdraw in gemstones

Bronze (aka Seeking) - Creates warning Fabrials that can detect objects or entities nearby

Pewter (aka Thugs) - Causes a spren's attributes to "express its attribute in force"

She also noticed that in Chapter 8, whatever Renarin did to Moash strongly resembled the Eleventh Metal, although I am less sure of the connection between that event and Allomancy. Has anyone else noticed this?

Oh I noticed it. I found it odd. What exactly does it mean? Shard’s capabilities and magic systems are only really limited to where they are and reside. You can take stuff from there and use it, but this just seems odd. I have no idea what is going on here. It also isn’t quite allomancy. It isn’t end-positive, exactly. It’s like it is always in effect. I WANT ANSWERS STORMMIT!

31 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

Oh I noticed it. I found it odd. What exactly does it mean? Shard’s capabilities and magic systems are only really limited to where they are and reside. You can take stuff from there and use it, but this just seems odd. I have no idea what is going on here. It also isn’t quite allomancy. It isn’t end-positive, exactly. It’s like it is always in effect. I WANT ANSWERS STORMMIT!

We've been told that investiture and magic existed pre-shattering, and was "distributed" according to intent (although things have been added and changed since then as shards have been active around the Cosmere). These metal properties may just be a fundamental aspect of creation, which is highly visible in Allomancy, but also relevant for other magic systems. Aluminium has a similar isolating effect across systems - it seems very much a fundamental property of the metal, and not tied to any shards.

Color has also been shown to have meaning across magic systems and shards. Vibrations are part of allomancy and surgebinding both - in different ways but still related to identity (allomantic seekers identify using pulses, which are essentially rhythms of vibrations).

Spiritual DNA is a thing across systems. Shards may have a strong influence in their native system and incredibly power on worlds they're heavily invested in, but they still exist in a Cosmere that had a pre-existing cosmic order.

It seems like we're getting at some of the fundamental rules of magic that transcend specific magic systems. After all, the different magic systems are, at their base, all doing the same thing - giving mortals the ability to access Investiture and do different things with it. They're not just random an independent, they're all facets of the same underlying scheme.

And we're starting to see that more as we get really in-depth in different magic systems.