• Gavilar Kholin
    • Navani Kholin
    • Elhokar Kholin
    • Jasnah Kholin
    • Gavinor Kholin
    • Shallan Kholin
    • Aesudan Kholin
    • Kaves Kholin

Simple question, difficult answer. It's a tough choice for me, and it seems to be always changing for me.

Today we speak of the most plot-relevant family in the Stormlight Archive--a family getting 40% of the flashback chapters of the series (including Shallan). The Kholins!

Who is your favorite Kholin, and why?

And this is in the RoW spoiler section, so we can discuss events as well.

If I'm forgetting anyone, please let me know so I can add them on the list.

Edited by Ookla the Knight

Elhokar.  He was a great foil to Dalinars dominate personality.   The way that Elhokar looked at Kaladin and questioned why people followed and respected him.  He so desperately wants to be taken seriously and to be respected.  But he is of privilege.  He was treated with kid gloves and never moulded into a leader.   Only being around the right people does he start to do the right thing.   His arc to self actualize is cut short due to the ramifications of his past crimes in the form of Moash.  Poetic.  

Jasnah is cool too.  Probably because of the lack of screentime, though.   

3 hours ago, Isabelle6060 said:

You forgot Aesudan!!!!

Actually writing out the list I realized there are a lot more Kholins than I realized.

And Gavilar? He's a close second favorite, I'm sad to see him doing this poorly. I love megalomaniacs. 

Why is that last character even on this list? Kaves' only appearance was as a corpse, unconfirmed corpse, unmourned by Adolin because he was apparently pretty unlikeable, overly ambitious and power hungry.

Actually, while we're at it, why is Aesudan on the list too?

As of the end of OB and everything in RoW, it's Adolin for me.

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

Why is that last character even on this list? Kaves' only appearance was as a corpse, unconfirmed corpse, unmourned by Adolin because he was apparently pretty unlikeable, overly ambitious and power hungry.

Actually, while we're at it, why is Aesudan on the list too?

As of the end of OB and everything in RoW, it's Adolin for me.

Because people pointed them out that I missed them I have a thing about being factually accurate, and they are technically Kholins, however unlikable.

I mean, you never know here on the Shard. How could you have a 1.6M-word four-book epic fantasy with absolutely fantastic character development and such earth-shattering emotional moments and your favorite character of all time is Axies? Or stick?

Do people find it annoying they're on there because I could take them off.

Adolin and Dalinar were a close race for #1 until RoW, that put Adolin on top for me. I honestly can't think of anything Adolin did in RoW that could have gone better. His caring of Kaladin and Shallan (Kaladin early, Shallan throughout but especially the Starspren scene). His selfless save of Nodom with very real risk to his own life. His interactions with Maya and the trial. He was almost too good to be "real".....what are you planning to spring on us next book Brandon to overturn our expectations!?!

Edited by Awakened Cremling
fixed typo

Renarin, followed by Adolin, followed by Gavinor.

As characters, I absolutely love Dalinar, Jasnah, and Navani, but as people, the first three I mentioned are definitely my favorites. Although Navani is also just a fantastic person.

Dalinar and Jasnah would scare me, although I'd probably get along pretty well with Jasnah, which is a weird thing to consider.

Oathbringer spoilers-

Spoiler

IF ELHOKAR HADN'T DIED AND HAD HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO GROW AND BECOME A RADIENT AND STUFF, THEN HE MIGHT BE UP ON THAT LIST, TOO.

BUT NO, HE HAD TO DIE. AND NOW WE'LL NEVER KNOW.

*sigh*

This is a complicated question. But Renarin is my favorite for sure. Also, Adolin's relationship with Shallan and Kaladin is amazing. Those three make a great group.

Wait, Shallan's a Kholin... 

This is really complicated!

I'm going with Navani, for sure. I won't get into too much detail here on the specifics of why, but I love her character. Watching her overcome her insecurities and finally move past her toxic relationship with Gavilar was so satisfying.

On that note, how did anyone vote for Gavilar after Navani's perspective on the epilogue? I hate that guy.

Edit: I mean the prologue.

Edited by Ookla the Uscritic

9 minutes ago, Ookla the Uscritic said:

I'm going with Navani, for sure. I won't get into too much detail here on the specifics of why, but I love her character. Watching her overcome her insecurities and finally move past her toxic relationship with Gavilar was so satisfying.

On that note, how did anyone vote for Gavilar after Navani's perspective on the epilogue? I hate that guy.

No one voted Gavilar, it's Elhokar's son Gavinor that they voted for. Slightly more understandable.

Dalinar, because his arc and story in Oathbringer is one of the greatest things I have ever read. Closely followed by Adolin, who is also all kinds of awesome. Shout-out to Elhokar as well. I liked him before it was cool (meaning before Oathbringer).

2 hours ago, Ookla the Knight said:

Alright, who voted Kaves? I didn't put him in there seriously. Please, name yourself.

Was about to ask this.

18 hours ago, Awakened Cremling said:

Adolin and Dalinar were a close race for #1 until RoW, that put Adolin on top for me. I honestly can't think of anything Adolin did in RoW that could have gone better. His caring of Kaladin and Shallan (Kaladin early, Shallan throughout but especially the Starspren scene). His selfless save of Nodom with very real risk to his own life. His interactions with Maya and the trial. He was almost too good to be "real".....what are you planning to spring on us next book Brandon to overturn our expectations!?!

I know what would overturn a lot of expectations: failing to revive Maya in book 5.  Because honestly, who here wasn't expecting that to happen in book 4?  And then it didn't, but their kindasorta fledgling bond grew that much stronger, and now we all know it's going to happen in book 5.

...unless it doesn't, for whatever reason.