Quick Fix Game 49: Chaos in Newcago

Straw

Hypnolia glared at Endless Wrath indignantly. How dare he accuse her of being human, of all things? "Well, I'm sorry that I don't like randomly accusing people," she said, raising an eyebrow.

---

Yeah, I'm just trying to get a feel for things since I don't know anyone. Voting me makes me suspect you a little less, since you could've bandwagon voted.... But I got no clue.

I'm a little sus of Illwei and Quinn accusing each other so early. Idk how they play but they could be trying to clear each other by seeming suspicious.

For now though I'm voting Elandera, because they jumped in with a vote after Archer said they would be keeping an eye on people who speculated and didn't vote. 

1 hour ago, TJ Shade said:

I'm soo confused. What does this mean, Illwei? xD

It's- well it's D1. We know nothing so like-  

3 hours ago, Quinn0928 said:
I'm reading you as village in the LG for doing exactly what you did those first two games, so I don't know why you find it sus that I'm doing that here as well when you don't find it sus there (are we allowed to compare to current games? If not I can edit this out)

Also no, not talking about that game because it's still running :P. 

Edited by Ooklil' the Wei

I find it odd that Quinn read Illwei as village after two posts barely a few minutes into the cycle. I suspect possible pocketing. Araris Quinn. I'm unfamiliar with the new players since I've been gone for a while, but that seems awfully quick to declare a village read.

Four and half-ish hours until the end of cycle, and no clear lead in the lynch. I suspect the typical last-minute vote swing to someone will occur, so for now, here are the votes.

Quinn0928 (2): Ooklil' the Wei, Elandera
A Joe in the Bush (1): Ookla the Araris Valerian
Ooklil' the Wei (2): Quinn0928, TJ Shade
Gears (1): Ookla the Paradoxical
Liranil (1): A Joe in the Bush
Elandera (1): Liranil

1 hour ago, Elandera said:

Quinn0928 (2): Ooklil' the Wei, Elandera
A Joe in the Bush (1): Ookla the Araris Valerian
Ooklil' the Wei (2): Quinn0928, TJ Shade
Gears (1): Ookla the Paradoxical
Liranil (1): A Joe in the Bush

Illwei

My reasoning is as follows: Illwei and I are currently tied, which means that either of us has a 50% chance of survival. If I'm the one who dies, I'm dead this turn anyway, and if Illwei dies and doesn't flip elim, you'll likely pursue your suspicions of me next turn anyway, since I was one of the two who voted her. Since I'm most likely going to die anyway, it might as well be this turn. 

Edit: I hate myself for using "anyway" three times in that paragraph but whatever.

Edited by Quinn0928

I'm going to vote on gears and do so whenever they claim elim (unless I have a better suspicion) because if it becomes safe to claim elim then that just hurts the village. @Gears

EDIT: The shard ate part of my post, It was me just saying I don't really have suspicions on anyone yet.

Edited by Ookla the Shadowed

5 minutes ago, Ookla the Shadowed said:

I'm going to vote on gears and do so whenever they claim elim (unless I have a better suspicion) because if it becomes safe to claim elim then that just hurts the village. @Gears

EDIT: The shard ate part of my post, It was me just saying I don't really have suspicions on anyone yet.

How does it hurt the village if it becomes safe for people to claim elim? So long as it doesn't make us more likely to trust someone (and in Gears' case I don't think it does, since he always does it) it doesn't matter at all. If being able to claim elim is safe for everyone, it affects no one, basically.

2 minutes ago, Quinn0928 said:

How does it hurt the village if it becomes safe for people to claim elim? So long as it doesn't make us more likely to trust someone (and in Gears' case I don't think it does, since he always does it) it doesn't matter at all. If being able to claim elim is safe for everyone, it affects no one, basically.

It just allows an elim to claim elim and have everyone think nothing about it, which imo hurts us because that's one more way for an elim to blend in as village.

5 minutes ago, Quinn0928 said:

Oh, it hurts. There are stories in the ancient scripts of SE that some older players were revealed as elim for a few cycles, but still managed to talk their way into surviving and winning. If someone can claim elim and be elim, people are more likely to dismiss it out of hand and not even look into them, which then allows them to work in the open and fall back on the "joke" of claiming if anyone is ever suspicious.

It's Gear's established way of playing, but there is some worth to maintaining a suspicion of that activity.

9 minutes ago, Ookla the Shadowed said:

It just allows an elim to claim elim and have everyone think nothing about it, which imo hurts us because that's one more way for an elim to blend in as village.

I doubt most elims would do it anyway--it just draws attention to them. And in the end, if nobody claims elim that means there's even more uniformity between the village and the elims, whereas if some people claim elim we can factor that into their playstyles and use it as extra information on them--if they use RNG to decide whether they do or not, it's just a null, but if there's some kind of pattern we can exploit that. I'd say it actually makes it harder for elims to blend in, because if elim-claims (or village-claims, or role-claims, or any other kind of claim) become fairly common, then it forces the elims to factor that into their playstyle--it's one more thing to think about.

Edit: @Elandera It's only a problem if we assume it means that someone's village--so long as we don't factor it into our assessment of their alignment at all, or so long as we take it in comparison to what that person has done in the past, it's just another playstyle trait.

Edited by Quinn0928

I wasn't going to mention this until next time because it was looking like it would end in a bunch of people having one vote on them and the lynch being decided randomly, which is what I view as probably the best case scenario with so little information. It looks like Quinn and Illwei have a scheme going where they accuse each other to deflect criticism from real Epics then they drop their votes last minute, leaving someone, in this case Gears, on the chopping block instead. Experience's timing is suspiciously convenient for that kind of a plan to work. As it stands, Quinn and Gears have two votes each. I expect Illwei to drop their vote on Quinn shortly, so to even the field, Gears Experience 

I'm going to switch my vote to Ookla the Shadowed/Experience. And I'll agree with Quinn/disagree with Elandera on this one as well. There is a difference between what Gears has been doing and what has occurred in past games. Gears is not an outed elim trying to survive. He's just a troll. Claiming elim the start of every game is no different than claiming village at the start of every game. It's pointless and NAI, and not a good reason for a vote. I've held this same stance in several of tthe games I've played with Gears. I'd much rather lynch him for something that can give us information, than kill him D1 every single game.

Edit: Ninja'd by Archer

Edited by Ookla the Araris Valerian

5 minutes ago, Ookla the Araris Valerian said:

I'm going to switch my vote to Ookla the Shadowed/Experience. And I'll agree with Quinn/disagree with Elandera on this one as well. There is a difference between what Gears has been doing and what has occurred in past games. Gears is not an outed elim trying to survive. He's just a troll. Claiming elim the start of every game is no different than claiming village at the start of every game. It's pointless and NAI, and not a good reason for a vote. I've held this same stance in several of tthe games I've played with Gears. I'd much rather lynch him for something that can give us information, than kill him D1 every single game.

Archer's reasoning for voting me I totally get. 

Not quite sure what you're reasoning is? And being a troll still hurts the village more than helps it. I'm switiching my vote to (Ookla the) Araris Valerian as this just seems off to me.

Ok, Araris. Archer. Why in the world did you just switch to Somebody? @Ookla the Paradoxical

Edited by Ookla the Shadowed

Everyone was arguing over who to kill when they saw someone flying around. Everyone was really jealous because they couldn't fly, so they decided to kill the flying person. It turned out she was an epic, so not the best choice, but at least everyone was on the ground now.

Quinn0928 has died! She was a Lesser Epic.

Vote Count:

Quinn0928 (2): Elandera, Illwei
Archer (1): Experience
Experience (1): Araris Valerian
Illwei (1): TJ Shade
Liranil (1): A Joe in the Bush
Somebody from Sel (1): Archer

GM Notes:

Player List:

Spoiler

1. @A Joe in the Bush - Endless Wrath
2. @Ookla the Araris Valerian (Araris Valerian) - Max
3. @Ookla the Paradoxical (Archer) - Crasher
4. @Ookla the Grammatical (Condensation) - Fritz
5. @Elandera
6. @Ookla the Shadowed (Experience)
7. @Gears - Mori
8. @Ooklil' the Wei (Illwei)
9. @Liranil - Natalie
10. @Lord_Silberfarben
11. Quinn0928 - Starstrike Lesser Epic
12. @Somebody from Sel - Sal Cómin
13. @The Windrunner Supreme
14. @TJ Shade
15. @Vapor - Vanessa

Edited by Straw

Okay, what happened at the end there? Since when did Quinn have two votes on her? I was thinking of dropping and switching to an inactive, realized that that's pointless because inactivity filter, and yeah. 

Archer is giving me a village feel...somewhat...he apparently thought that Quinn and I were trying to split the vote and hammer someone C1, so I'd like to hear Archer's explaination, which he said he'd give. 

I'm going to vote on Experience/Ookla the Shadowed again, for the same reasons as last cycle. I've explained my thoughts on Gears across several games, and the fact remains that if you say before the start of a game that you are going to do something, and then you do it, that is by definition NAI behavior.

I am, apparently bad at math. Maybe that's my Epic weakness (I know it's my actual one). I thought we had another hour in the turn. Not that I would likely have changed my vote. Might as well get started, though.

@Ookla the Paradoxical, what was the reasoning for not wanting to double up votes on anyone?

I understand the stance on Gears' claims, hence why I chose not to vote on him. It's mostly trollish, but I also don't see it as super helpful which is why I didn't think Experience's vote was outlandish. It's just as good as any C1 vote reasoning, really.

Inactivity is going to be a huge problem for us regarding lylo, since I don't believe we have enough pinch-hitters to fill all four who are on the chopping block. @Ooklil' the Wei, please don't go inactive for this (unless you're elim). Granted, just the suggestion that you had considered it puts me on edge. It suggests you're village (elims tend to have more reason to be active because they have a team that may depend on them), but mentioning it seems like setting up to just appear more village. Overall, it makes me suspicious. For that, Illwei.

Edited by Elandera
formatting the vote failed

1 minute ago, Elandera said:

Granted, just the suggestion that you had considered it puts me on edge. It suggests you're village (elims tend to have more reason to be active because they have a team that may depend on them), but mentioning it seems like setting up to just appear more village. Overall, it makes me suspicious.

? did you read:

13 minutes ago, Ooklil' the Wei said:

I was thinking of dropping and switching to an inactive

As me- I was talking about votes. realized now that I didn't make that clear. 

I feel that if you are going to talk, you should vote. Otherwise you’re avoiding taking responsibility for your words. My initial vote on Gears was pretty arbitrary. They remain on my suspect list for now, but they did not do anything overtly suspicious. Besides overtly claiming to be an elim. Hm. 

Anyway, I switched that to Experience when they entered the thread with under an hour to go and cast the deciding vote against Gears. (Or what I thought was, based on my assumption of the plan.) For the first round, I believed a random lynch would be the fairest way to go. So far I have maybe two people who I am more inclined than not to trust while everyone else seems suspicious. That’s not enough to go on, so our best bet was getting lucky. Judging talk is not a good way to decide things, at least not early on. This time, we have the opportunity to evaluate who people actually voted for. That’s about the only real way to judge people’s loyalties. 

Speaking of which, it turns out Quinn was innocent after all, which is unfortunate. I really thought Quinn/Illwei/Experience were covering for each other after blowing a scheme to establish a record of voting for the Reckoners early when it was unlikely to kill them. I believe that Illwei is now cleared because they did not go along with the plan and no Reckoner would allow themselves to cast the deciding vote at this stage in the game. It invites early suspicion. Experience ultimately tried to protect Quinn, who is innocent, with their vote, so I also somewhat trust them. Although their timing remains suspicious.

My final vote on Somebody was a random selection from the group of four or so people who have been inactive. I suspect that every Reckoner will be active enough to avoid the filter, because it’s a rare opportunity to have lots of power in a game. However, at least one of them may lie low to avoid having a questionable voting record. I’d like to discourage that. If it served as a poke vote to make them talk more, great. If it just added weight to my words, that works too. Either way, there was no way I could not vote for someone in that round. So it had to be someone who didn’t already have a vote on them.

Sticking with that, I’ll poke Windrunner Supreme for now as a filler vote. I need time to figure out who is actually most suspicious. I'm still high on adrenaline. Experience voted for me! I mean, 

"The NERVE. Look at me! It's very obvious that I'm a superhuman. How else could I control radios, huh? You don't see Hugo the Human down the street magically making people's boomboxes play smooth jazz when they're trying to work out. I'm glad we were able to channel our rage into something productive, guys, but we killed the wrong person!" Crasher said. "That's the best radio pun I can come up with right now. I'm under a lot of pressure."

Guest Somebody from Scadrial

I disagree with the push to vote, I think Gears is once again getting sus for no/a bad reason. Illwei is pretty cleared die to the reasons pointed out by the above. I will vote for Vapor for inactivity reasons.

What the pocket was that? Holy cow, Connie needs to get on more. This moves fast, she can't be spending all of our time in Shinovar! So Vapor has been on the computer a good bit, so I guess I kind of find that suspicious? She's not even in Shinovar, she's a stand-in! @Vapor, explain yourself!

Yes, Fritz uses the word pocket as a curse word. Disregard it.

Somebody

1) agreeing with me being cleared doesn't make sense, at least IMO for Sfs
2) They're using real grammar, possibly being more aware of themselves as an Elim. 

1 minute ago, Ookla the Grammatical said:

Vapor has been on the computer a good bit, so I guess I kind of find that suspicious? She's not even in Shinovar, she's a stand-in!

Not quite sure about the Legality of that type of meta things