Ookla the Frustrated

We were on the verge of greatness, we were this close.

19 posts in this topic

So this is where you can put any missed oppotunities, that IN YOUR OPINION would have improved a novel/worbuilding acspect.

Here's my first two

 

So we have Pewter,

in allomancy it increases strength, 

In feruchemy it stores strenght

then along comes Hemalurgy, and you find out one metal steals physical strength, and you think to yourself, "Huh I bet it's pewter,"

Pewter: Steals physical feruchemical powers

Why Brandon? Why? you had one job, one theme for pewter, and you give the ability to steal physical strength to Iron? it's not even the base metal for pewter!

At least you got Tin right.

 

Chromium and Nicrocil,

these are just Aluminum and Drualumin, but to other people, they don't even change that much, none of the other metals behave this way except Atium and Malatium to gold and electrum, but those are Shard-metals, not base ones! you could have at least made them AoE's that forced or prevented burning of metals.

 

Anyway what where your missed oputunities?

 

Edited by Ookla The Frustrated
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2020 at 11:44 AM, Ookla The Frustrated said:

So we have Pewter,

in allomancy it increases strength, 

In feruchemy it stores strenght

then along comes Hemalurgy, and you find out one metal steals physical strength, and you think to yourself, "Huh I bet it's pewter,"

Pewter: Steals physical feruchemical powers

Why Brandon? Why? you had one job, one theme for pewter, and you give the ability to steal physical strength to Iron? it's not even the base metal for pewter!

At least you got Tin right.

 

Pewter steals physical feruchemical powers because it makes sense to use pewter to steal the ability to use pewter

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voidsabre said:

 

Pewter steals physical feruchemical powers because it makes sense to use pewter to steal the ability to use pewter

And it makes sense for copper to steal intelligence and memories instead of the ability to use copper

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that bothers you that much, what do you think about Feruchemical brass and electrum which got switched with one another? 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if only we had an SA novel in between tWoK and WoR then the structure of SA Arc 1 would mirror each SA book, of being 5 parts with 4 interludes between them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Honorless said:

If that bothers you that much, what do you think about Feruchemical brass and electrum which got switched with one another? 

Why is heat cognitive? Why?

2 hours ago, officiallyaninja said:

if only we had an SA novel in between tWoK and WoR then the structure of SA Arc 1 would mirror each SA book, of being 5 parts with 4 interludes between them.

We might get one eventually, though it would have been nice to have it in cronological order.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ookla The Frustrated said:

Why is heat cognitive? Why?

Maybe because it's kind of like the equivalent of drinking alcohol to warm up (you're actually not warming up, your capillaries are dilating, making you feel warm, you're actually putting yourself in more danger from the cold this way). It makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside! And then you die of hypothermia anyway! Imagine that!

Or maybe the two metals were intentionally switched by Preservation. We know that Preservation can do that, as that's how Atium Mistings were created. The Terrismen and later on the Southern Scadrians lived in cold climate, they needed some way to keep warm. Electrum would've been a dang expensive way to stay warm, brass would've been better, so Preservation or Harmony switched the two metals' functions in Feruchemy!

 

The real reason is it was just an error but Brandon decided it was too late and too much to retcon so it's just a hole in the understanding of in-world scholars.

Edited by Honorless
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ookla The Frustrated said:

We might get one eventually, though it would have been nice to have it in cronological order.

are you sure? I cant imagine what he'd write one for. iYou could sort of pretend WB is that novella though. even though its wayy too big.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, officiallyaninja said:

are you sure? I cant imagine what he'd write one for. iYou could sort of pretend WB is that novella though. even though its wayy too big.

He said he might, and WB is before WoK

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ookla The Frustrated said:

He said he might, and WB is before WoK

whoa when did he say that? this is news to me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, officiallyaninja said:

whoa when did he say that? this is news to me.

RoW release party

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've known that Warbreaker predates The Way of Kings for years now, as Brandon stated some time back that its sequel Nightblood was planned to be the nearest book taking place before WoK and almost ten years ago we had a WoB that Brandon's Cosmere books were published in chronological order (until MB2 came along) which means that by default Warbreaker must happen before WoK.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ookla the Crimson King said:

We've known that Warbreaker predates The Way of Kings for years now, as Brandon stated some time back that its sequel Nightblood was planned to be the nearest book taking place before WoK and almost ten years ago we had a WoB that Brandon's Cosmere books were published in chronological order (until MB2 came along) which means that by default Warbreaker must happen before WoK.

I was talking about him planning a novella in between WoK and WoR

 

2 hours ago, Ookla The Frustrated said:

RoW release party

do you have a rough timestamp for that/ i'd really appreciate it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, officiallyaninja said:

I was talking about him planning a novella in between WoK and WoR

 

do you have a rough timestamp for that/ i'd really appreciate it.

I do not unforunetly, in the comments on the You Tube Vids there usually is one, if I recall correctly it was near the Sixth of the Dusk sequel, but I could be wrong.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This still bugs me.

Preservation - keep something the way it is

Ruin - destroy, break something to make something new, though with greater entropy

Together they can create, bringing more energy into the system.

 

Preservation should have been for Feruchemy - especially in the concept of copperminds - and both Ruin and Preservation should have been for Allomancy, bringing energy into the system. The mists behaviour could also still match the idea as there are two types mists, and each one moves towards or away from the presence of the other's investiture, or the combined investiture has an impact on the mists.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

This still bugs me.

Preservation - keep something the way it is

Ruin - destroy, break something to make something new, though with greater entropy

Together they can create, bringing more energy into the system.

 

Preservation should have been for Feruchemy - especially in the concept of copperminds - and both Ruin and Preservation should have been for Allomancy, bringing energy into the system. The mists behaviour could also still match the idea as there are two types mists, and each one moves towards or away from the presence of the other's investiture, or the combined investiture has an impact on the mists.

I... wow

that makes so much sense I'm questioning WoB's because of it.

my entire view of Mistborn was just upended, have a rep.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2020 at 11:31 AM, Ixthos said:

This still bugs me.

Preservation - keep something the way it is

Ruin - destroy, break something to make something new, though with greater entropy

Together they can create, bringing more energy into the system.

 

Preservation should have been for Feruchemy - especially in the concept of copperminds - and both Ruin and Preservation should have been for Allomancy, bringing energy into the system. The mists behaviour could also still match the idea as there are two types mists, and each one moves towards or away from the presence of the other's investiture, or the combined investiture has an impact on the mists.

Finally! Someone's mentioned it! Like, if you were describing these systems, there's only one where you might use the word "preserve" and it ain't allomancy

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.