Which Mistborn Era Do You Like Better?

Liranil

Which Mistborn Era Do You Like Better?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which Mistborn Era Do You Like Better (And Why)?

While era1 had one of the most beautiful and compelling endings Ive ever read, Era 2 is just plain more Fun to read throughout, and more likely to make me want to reread it.  Era 1 is thematically much darker and more bleak, compared to the Steampunk western romp of Era 2.  And Era 2 has Wayne.  

I like Era 1 more because it was more interesting. There was always some knowledge or a goal that they knew existed, but they didn't know exactly what it was. They were fighting Shards and killing gods. The character arcs were more intriguing and addictive. I also like how they didn't have all the metals, though that falls in line with bits of knowledge they don't possess. That said, I think both Era's were amazing, and Brandon has proven his worth time and time again each time he releases a book and series.

They are each good for their own reasons, but era 1 has the best arc. Era 2 is nice and smaller scale, and a bit more like “the adventures of _____” it is fun. It is silly. I love it. But it doesn’t have the arc of mistborn. But book 4 isn’t out yet, so we will see if that changes.

Era 2 has it's charms, but most of what I love about it is how it builds off of the universe created in Era 1. If Wax's story was the beginning of the series, I don't know that I would have finished the first book. I enjoy Wax and Steris, but it's the Era 1 echoes that bring this series home for me. 

The Vin trilogy is one of my favorite series' of all time. All of the characters are so beautifully written and developed, Vin and Elend,in particular. My only complaint is that I wish it had been longer and we had gotten more stories with those characters.

1 hour ago, Harrycrapper said:

Era 1 has a more cohesive and self contained story, but Era 2 has much better character writing and dialogue in my opinion. I'd give the edge to Era 2, but it's real close. 

The original trilogy is just so tight in the ways that matter most to me. I can overlook the weaker or more awkward character elements for the epicness.

But, I do wonder how Era 1 would change for the better if Brandon were allowed a George Lucas style re-edit, knowing what he knows now. Even more so with Elantris. He's definitely grown as a writer.

I'd much rather he continue to write the Cosmere forward, though!

Edited by robardin

I don’t think this is the most fair of contests, considering how era 2 isn’t done yet....

I will say that I think Era 2 is wayyy more cinematic. It reads like I’m watching a movie. A really really good movie. Out of everything Brandon has written, I think MB Era 2 would make the best transition to TV. 

I love both eras very much, but Era 1 wins for me because of the scale of it. The conflict between Ruin and Preservation felt so epic compared to the smaller-scale adventure style of Era 2. Aside from that, I enjoyed the slightly darker atmosphere the world had, it felt so oppressive, especially in the TFE - the inquisitors were so terrifying in that one! - but also had its moments of beauty in the stained glass windows and the mists. I also just really love Vin and Saze as characters. 

That said, I still love Era 2. The dynamic between the characters is so much fun to read, I love what we've learned about the world and magic, especially with the introduction of the Southern Scadrians, and depending on how The Lost Metal goes Era 2 could end up surpassing Era 1 for me.

Just now, Aspiring Writer said:

Some may say that's the appeal. He certainly gives me Blusheaver vibes, and Blushweaver has a special place in my heart despite her threatening Siri.

Blushweaver is the other character I have major problems with.
Warbreaker would've been practically perfect without her (and the Siri stuff).

On 12/9/2020 at 8:38 PM, Aspiring Writer said:

Funnily enough, this is the exact argument someone else uses for why they don't like Era 2. @Ookla the Scandalous

I'm partly in that boat. Only partly. Even if Wayne wasn't in Era 2, I would still prefer Era 1 because of Vin, Elend, and the crew. The depth of the characters in that trilogy was so consuming. But a Wayne-free Era 2 would make the choice between the two much harder. 

Edited by Winter Wolf

Quantus said all I wanted to say about the qualities of the two eras. I chose Era 2 because it is a lot more digestible and fun and rereadable, of course all those qualities are subjective and whether or not those qualities are good for judging a book is also subjective, I've just found myself liking era 2 more and more with time.

Edited by Honorless

On 12/9/2020 at 11:39 PM, Ookla the Scandalous said:

He is a nasty dirty boy

On 12/9/2020 at 11:42 PM, Ookla the Scandalous said:

Blushweaver is the other character I have major problems with.
Warbreaker would've been practically perfect without her (and the Siri stuff).

I’m sorry, but your name is currently ookla the scandalous? And You think that a nasty dirty boy is a nono? Really?

On 12/11/2020 at 8:55 AM, Koloss17 said:

I’m sorry, but your name is currently ookla the scandalous? And You think that a nasty dirty boy is a nono? Really?

Well, the scandalous name came from the AU discord. I actually really don't like anything NSFW, it makes me uncomfortable.