Nightblood after

Theoryspren

BIG SPOILER FOR END OF BOOK DON’T READ UNLESS YOU HAVE FINISHED

We know that Nightblood seems to become intoxicated after he takes in investiture. We also know the more he investiture he takes the more intoxicated he becomes. 

Nightblood just killed the vessel of a shard which is undoubtedly a lot of investiture. So wouldn’t Szeth have noticed that Nightblood was so intoxicated. 

At first he wouldn’t expect something was wrong as Szeth thinks he just killed Taravangian but for the amount of investiture a shards vessel should have compared to that of an old man Nightblood should be incredibly intoxicated for long amount of time.

So wouldn’t Szeth realize after a time that something more had happened in that room when he thought Taravangian died?

What are your thoughts? Will Szeth discover the truth as he interacts with Nightblood in the next book?

I think you’re right, for the simple reason that it would be very weird for them not to figure out they’re dealing with Taravangian throughout the whole book, and this is a very plausible basis for them to start questioning what the hell happened. 

But I don’t think they’ll figure it out in time for it to make a difference. 

26 minutes ago, Karger said:

Nightblood is only marginally aware of what he does when drawn.  He can't even be sure that it really happened. 

I agree with this. Szeth doesn’t have the same length of contact with Nightblood as someone like Vasher, so he may not notice an oddness in Nightblood’s intoxication level. And as Karger said, it’s not as if Nightblood would really be able tell that something weird happened either. 

14 hours ago, honorblades said:

I agree with this. Szeth doesn’t have the same length of contact with Nightblood as someone like Vasher, so he may not notice an oddness in Nightblood’s intoxication level. And as Karger said, it’s not as if Nightblood would really be able tell that something weird happened either. 

I don't think Szeth even knows Nightblood's name haha.  I am definitely curious to see how the sword is behaving next book, but anticipate Szeth will miss any weirdness, or chalk it up to 'sword-nimi' being weird generally.  

EDIT: Nevermind - I think Szeth actually started calling it by its name in RoW - but I still think the point about him not knowing it well stands.

Four mentions of "Nightblood" in RoW. Two are from Szeth, and those at least make sense as to how he could have learned what others have called it. The sword itself likely told him at some point. 

But the other two mentions are by Taravangian. How would he have come across that name, especially post-diagram-inception?

On 12/4/2020 at 1:39 AM, Karger said:

Nightblood is only marginally aware of what he does when drawn.  He can't even be sure that it really happened. 

I don’t see how this is relevant. If you’re used to having a hyperactive child in your head 24/7 and they suddenly shut up for several days in a row, you (ie Szeth) are gonna notice. 

1 hour ago, coolsnow7 said:

I don’t see how this is relevant. If you’re used to having a hyperactive child in your head 24/7 and they suddenly shut up for several days in a row, you (ie Szeth) are gonna notice. 

Maybe he will notice but he won't know why.  Anyway Szeth is not always perceptive in that way.  He is very good at sifting for information but unless he is thinking consciously about NB I doubt the thing's behavior changing will seem significant to him.

Nightblood isn't very good at telling time amongst other things, his memory is not the best. I am not sure if he knows Taravangian's name, maybe he does. The only way Szeth will maybe figure it out is if Nightblood says something like "I liked it when that old man wielded me for a thousand years in that golden room. Now he knew how to use me properly." Szeth may begin to piece it together.