Scadrian vs. Rosharan magic post RoW

NameIess

3 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

I miss-stated myself I meant resonance not compounding.

Brandon refers to metals working because of the resonance of the metal to the power filtered through its structure so compounding is a very specific kind of resonance that occures when you apply that metals structure in 2 different applications A&F.

Lyndsey Luther

Ok, last question. It was really difficult coming up with three questions that haven’t been asked already...

Brandon Sanderson

OK... you’re not going to ask me the “what would you ask me” question?

Lyndsey Luther

Not quite...

Brandon Sanderson

OK good, because I hate that one! (laughs)

Lyndsey Luther

My question is if there’s anything that you’ve never been asked that you would like to talk about?

Brandon Sanderson

Oooooh, ok. Hm. That one is so hard! Every time people ask me something like this... What have I never been asked that people should be asking, is basically what the question is? Something that the fans have just missed... They pick up on so much, that it’s hard... I do wonder if, you know… all the magic systems [in my books] are connected and work on some basic fundamental principles, and a lot of people haven’t been asking questions about this. One thing I did get a question on today, and I’ll just talk about this one... they didn’t ask the right question, but I nudged them the right way, is understanding that tie between AonDor [the magic system from Elantris] and Allomancy [Mistborn’s magic system].

People ask about getting the power from metals and things, but that’s not actually how it works. The power’s not coming from metal. I talked a little about this before, but you are drawing power from some source, and the metal is actually just a gateway. It’s actually the molecular structure of the metal… what’s going on there, the pattern, the resonance of that metal works in the same way as an Aon does in Elantris. It filters the power. So it is just a sign of “this is what power this energy is going to be shaped into and give you.” When you understand that, Compounding [in Alloy of Law] makes much more sense.

Compounding is where you are able to kind of draw in more power than you should with Feruchemy. What’s going on there is you’re actually charging a piece of metal, and then you are burning that metal as a Feruchemical charge. What is happening is that the Feruchemical charge overwrites the Allomantic charge, and so you actually fuel Feruchemy with Allomancy, is what you are doing. Then if you just get out another piece of metal and store it in, since you’re not drawing the power from yourself, you’re cheating the system, you’re short-circuiting the system a little bit. So you can actually use the power that usually fuels Allomancy, to fuel Feruchemy, which you can then store in a metalmind, and basically build up these huge reservoirs of it. So what’s going on there is… imagine there’s like, an imprint, a wavelength, so to speak. A beat for an Allomantic thing, that when you burn a metal, it says “ok, this is what power we give.” When it’s got that charge, it changes that beat and says, “now we get this power.” And you access a set of Feruchemical power. That’s why Compounding is so powerful.

Open The Fridge Interview (Nov. 16, 2011)

In one WOB you could potentially use A-Pewter to charge a Goldmind. A-Bronze would charge a Tin-mind with allomancy sense. Getting increased allomantic effects is potentially possible as well, but we haven't seen any clear examples yet.

Some of the potential resonances Wax has are an inborn or intuitive understanding of momentum and gravity. Perhaps even a little durability and reaction speed.

He litterally compared it to Aons, so unless you mean to tell me that Aon Dor is actually two powers then he was refering to resonance rather than actually saying it was a Resonance.

40 minutes ago, Frustration said:

He litterally compared it to Aons, so unless you mean to tell me that Aon Dor is actually two powers then he was refering to resonance rather than actually saying it was a Resonance.

Metals literally have a resonance with the power of the shard even individually just like Aons do with their shard.

All metal interactions create constructive interference or resonance, compounding is a specific form of constructive interference formed when you get the resonances of a single metal in 2 different applications.

Perhaps it would be interesting if you presented different possible resonances and compounds of the metal combinations instead of arguing semantic language. I would be interested to see how you imagine the metals combining, particularly combinations where it would give KR's a run for their money.

In other words stop trying to shoot me down and come up with your own potentially unique combinations or do that with KR's too.

13 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

Metals literally have a resonance with the power of the shard even individually just like Aons do with their shard.

All metal interactions create constructive interference or resonance, compounding is a specific form of constructive interference formed when you get the resonances of a single metal in 2 different applications.

Perhaps it would be interesting if you presented different possible resonances and compounds of the metal combinations instead of arguing semantic language. I would be interested to see how you imagine the metals combining, particularly combinations where it would give KR's a run for their money.

In other words stop trying to shoot me down and come up with your own potentially unique combinations or do that with KR's too.

I'm not arguing  Semantics, I'm correcting your inacurate information.

If you want something that can hurt a radiant go with either a Feruchemist, of Gold-Halfborn.

40 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

One, no, not all metals have a resonance. A resonance is the result of having two powers, or in this case two metals, and it's specifically two, as any more will end up messing with a resonace. So mistings and Mistborn cannot get resonances, only twinborn. 

Second, no, compounding is not a resonance. Fullborn can compound and they cannot have a resonance, compounding is combining the powers of feruchemy and allomancy, using the two magic systems in unison. "resonances of a single metal in 2 different applications" this makes no sense. the powers the metals give you are not resonances, if that is how you are using the term. And this makes it sound that you are simply getting two different powers from the same metal. Compounding is basically burning a feruchemical trait that has been stored in it, making a 'new metal' as Sazed had put it. It's not simply two powers from one metal.

You want us to make stuff up? That isn't the point of this thread, We're trying to compare what we know about these magic systems and which would be superior. And resonances aren't likely to help much, because from what we can tell, resonances are more passive abilities, so they wouldn't be that useful in direct combat.

We're shooting you down because you are reaching heavily and misunderstanding a lot about what we've been talking about. You have a lot of misconceptions about concepts that have already been widely agreed on and figured out, partly because it seems you have been making strange connections from things you've heard and taken it to the extreme.

20 hours ago, Frustration said:

I'm not arguing  Semantics, I'm correcting your inacurate information.

If you want something that can hurt a radiant go with either a Feruchemist, of Gold-Halfborn.

Why a Feruchemist or Gold-Halfborn?

19 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

One, no, not all metals have a resonance. A resonance is the result of having two powers, or in this case two metals, and it's specifically two, as any more will end up messing with a resonace. So mistings and Mistborn cannot get resonances, only twinborn. 

Second, no, compounding is not a resonance. Fullborn can compound and they cannot have a resonance, compounding is combining the powers of feruchemy and allomancy, using the two magic systems in unison. "resonances of a single metal in 2 different applications" this makes no sense. the powers the metals give you are not resonances, if that is how you are using the term. And this makes it sound that you are simply getting two different powers from the same metal. Compounding is basically burning a feruchemical trait that has been stored in it, making a 'new metal' as Sazed had put it. It's not simply two powers from one metal.

You want us to make stuff up? That isn't the point of this thread, We're trying to compare what we know about these magic systems and which would be superior. And resonances aren't likely to help much, because from what we can tell, resonances are more passive abilities, so they wouldn't be that useful in direct combat.

We're shooting you down because you are reaching heavily and misunderstanding a lot about what we've been talking about. You have a lot of misconceptions about concepts that have already been widely agreed on and figured out, partly because it seems you have been making strange connections from things you've heard and taken it to the extreme.

I guess you didn't see Brandon's quote I posted earlier so I will re-quote it again. 

People ask about getting the power from metals and things, but that’s not actually how it works. The power’s not coming from metal. I talked a little about this before, but you are drawing power from some source, and the metal is actually just a gateway. It’s actually the molecular structure of the metal… what’s going on there, the pattern, the resonance of that metal works in the same way as an Aon does in Elantris. It filters the power. So it is just a sign of “this is what power this energy is going to be shaped into and give you.” When you understand that, Compounding [in Alloy of Law] makes much more sense.

Further Brandon has said that resonances can be created with as many as 4 or 5 metals or surges. A mistborn is unlikely to gain the intuitive understanding of momentum and gravity that Wax has and has not been shown to produce the steel bubble both of which could be related to Wax's resonance.

Let me try and explain. Steel in feruchemy gives speed and Iron gives weight or mass which are related relativistic-ally. both Iron and Steel have to do with manipulating speed and gravity with regard to metals. As gravity/mass from Iron interact with speed/momentum from steel pushes. They meld to give Wax uncommon aim, and control of metal and his own position and movement. Perhaps it even helps to explain his instinctive ability to change his velocity and force on the fly.

There could be other interactions or resonances that twinborn have. A steel twin would almost certainly give even windrunners a run for their money and I think if people really thought about it more possible combinations could be presented to challenge the various orders of KR and likely win. Many of those may be compounders, but Wax would be formidable opponent to most KR's.

Though Brandon said there are compound interactions in the other direction F enhancing A we haven't seen any yet, so how might that work? Could one perhaps store time speed up in a bendalloy band as energy so that tapping the band produces enhanced speed bubbles?

Resonance, constructive interference, compounding are all synonymous concepts. Meaning they are related and at times interchangeable. All compounding is a form of resonance, but not all resonance is compounding and both produce constructive interference.

1 minute ago, BenduLuke said:

Resonance, constructive interference, compounding are all synonymous concepts. Meaning they are related and at times interchangeable. All compounding is a form of resonance, but not all resonance is compounding and both produce constructive interference.

No, they aren't

Compounding does not make a new ability apear, that isn't how it works.

I'm trying really hard to be reasonable here but you aren't listening.

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

The "perks" ("secondary effect born with interaction between powers") also has not a 100% sure name, but the main one at the moment is resonances....We will discovered a lot of the in the third trilogy where the Scientific Method would be applied to the magic.

Lucca Comics and Games Festival (Oct. 28, 2016)

So it isn't compounding because they already know that.

2 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

Why a Feruchemist or Gold-Halfborn?

They have F-gold

17 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

resonance of that metal works in the same way as an Aon does in Elantris. It filters the power. So it is just a sign of “this is what power this energy is going to be shaped into and give you.” When you understand that, Compounding [in Alloy of Law] makes much more sense.

resonance and Resonance are not the same things. he is clearly not referring to resonance, the extra ability you get when you have two powers. "They are not simply a combination of the two base powers, but rather a separate, more distinctive, effect" "The longer a person uses their two powers, the more likely they are to acquire a resonance."

18 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

many as 4 or 5 metals or surges.

Quote, because I have heard the exact opposite several times. "An individual with many powers, such as a Mistborn or Full Feruchemist, may lose this added effect.[6] With so many powers, the individual powers effectively wash out any resonance."

Resonances from more than two are the exceptions, and aren't as good as resonances from just two.

12 minutes ago, Frustration said:

No, they aren't

Compounding does not make a new ability apear, that isn't how it works.

I'm trying really hard to be reasonable here but you aren't listening.

Hide contents

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

The "perks" ("secondary effect born with interaction between powers") also has not a 100% sure name, but the main one at the moment is resonances....We will discovered a lot of the in the third trilogy where the Scientific Method would be applied to the magic.

Lucca Comics and Games Festival (Oct. 28, 2016)

So it isn't compounding because they already know that.

They have F-gold

Wayne has f-gold and would quickly be overwhelmed by a KR. Miles would have a chance. So f-gold alone is insufficient unless they had a long time to store health without tapping.

Right so my idea of how resonance works or it effects are as valid as anyone's for now.

A steel twin might be able to throw lighting and or fire. To not kill themselves with their speed they would need an innate understanding of friction, air resistance, surface tension, static build up, and static release as well as momentum and velocity. They could potentially use their metal pushing abilities to release any static or heat build up either with metal or through metal projectiles, or even to exposed metal.

5 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

resonance and Resonance are not the same things. he is clearly not referring to resonance, the extra ability you get when you have two powers. "They are not simply a combination of the two base powers, but rather a separate, more distinctive, effect" "The longer a person uses their two powers, the more likely they are to acquire a resonance."

Quote, because I have heard the exact opposite several times. "An individual with many powers, such as a Mistborn or Full Feruchemist, may lose this added effect.[6] With so many powers, the individual powers effectively wash out any resonance."

Resonances from more than two are the exceptions, and aren't as good as resonances from just two.

You are right the more powers you have the harder it is to create a resonance between them. In one of the WOB's they compared resonance to notes on a piano. with 2 notes they can create a harmonic 3rd ineffable tone. Once you get past 5 or 6 notes played together you can still hear the notes but the ineffable tone is canceled out. Mistborn era one had 8 powers so did Feruchemists though we know there were more potential powers they could have used so they couldn't produce the ineffable power that a Twinborn might except in the case of Vin who's interaction with the hemalurgic ear ring magnified her Bronze-A. By definition that magnification was a resonance. (Constructive interferance). You have to wonder how much more she could have done without the earring so she could use the mists?

According to Brandon any single metal produces a resonance between a Scadrian's investiture and the Shard (Preservation, Harmony, Ruin) enabling allomancy hemalurgy or feruchemy. There is also a potential resonance between 2 metals used together. Potentially you could create a resonance between 2 people using magic like Wax and Wayne where their interaction is greater than the sum of their powers.

Resonances between Rosharan surges are fixed, but twinborn resonances are not and they include compounding.

What Scadrian powers or combinations do you think would challenge a KR? Don't default to Atium. Even Vin was able to beat Atium without it.

1 minute ago, Aspiring Writer said:

No, it's not. We have conclusive evidence from books and Wobs on how it works. Check the coppermind.

Where do you think I have been getting my ideas and evidence from?

I guess we will just have to settle on agreeing that we disagree on interpreting the WOB's, coppermind, and Books. After all we didn't even agree on the WOB I quoted.

Vin who's interaction with the hemalurgic ear ring magnified her Bronze-A. By definition that magnification was a resonance. (Constructive interferance).

That is a boost, not a resonance, it is inspired by constructive interferance it isn't constructive interferance.

4 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

Where do you think I have been getting my ideas and evidence from?

I guess we will just have to settle on agreeing that we disagree on interpreting the WOB's, coppermind, and Books. After all we didn't even agree on the WOB I quoted.

Yeah, because you're incredibly bad at interpreting them.

6 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

According to Brandon any single metal produces a resonance between a Scadrian's investiture and the Shard (Preservation, Harmony, Ruin) enabling allomancy hemalurgy or feruchemy.

Feruchemy is powered by the users, not the shards. And again, when he said resonance, he wasn't referring to Resonance. The fact he uses real life terms in his magic system might make it confusing, but it's important to distinguish when he is using which one. Mistings do not have a resonance. It is never in the books, it doesn't fit with how resonance works as the result of two powers, and BS has not implied such.

9 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

Resonances between Rosharan surges are fixed, but twinborn resonances are not and they include compounding.

No, compounding is not a resonance, get that weird conclusion out of here. Second, all resonances are fixed, including that of twinborn. Every specific combination of surges/metals have a resonance. If Radiants used the honorblades to use two surges that normally didn't interact, you would get a new resonance, so they are both as fixed as one another. Every Crasher will have the same resonance. Every Gold-twinborn will have the same resonance.

Just now, Frustration said:

That is a boost, not a resonance, it is inspired by constructive interferance it isn't constructive interferance.

Resonance is literally constructive interference. The earring magnified her Bronze ability that is created by the resonance between the hemalugy and the allomancy. It might also be considered a form of compounding since the Hemalugy added to or multiplied the Allomancy. Even Brandon has talked about Resonance being Constructive interference. Though in that conversation he first thought they were saying constructed not constructive. It was funny in the later conversation when he realize his mistake and confirmed that resonance was a form of constructive interferance.

The point is that he hasn't spelled out what the resonances are for twinborn so our guesses are valid until he does. I have been trying over and over again to get you or someone to theorize possible resonances that could prove challenging to KR's but instead you keep saying I have the wrong idea about resonances. So tell me what you think some of the resonances are? Stop telling me I have the wrong idea about what the resonances are while you don't seem to be able to think of any yourself. How can a scadrian beat a Radiant?

Resonance is literally constructive interference. The earring magnified her Bronze ability that is created by the resonance between the hemalugy and the allomancy. It might also be considered a form of compounding since the Hemalugy added to or multiplied the Allomancy. Even Brandon has talked about Resonance being Constructive interference. Though in that conversation he first thought they were saying constructed not constructive. It was funny in the later conversation when he realize his mistake and confirmed that resonance was a form of constructive interferance.

The point is that he hasn't spelled out what the resonances are for twinborn so our guesses are valid until he does. I have been trying over and over again to get you or someone to theorize possible resonances that could prove challenging to KR's but instead you keep saying I have the wrong idea about resonances. So tell me what you think some of the resonances are? Stop telling me I have the wrong idea about what the resonances are while you don't seem to be able to think of any yourself. How can a scadrian beat a Radiant?

Resonances are the most useless of all powers.

Name a single WoB that says Compounding is a resonance, one.

becasue i have several that indicate it isn't.

1 minute ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Yeah, because you're incredibly bad at interpreting them.

Feruchemy is powered by the users, not the shards. And again, when he said resonance, he wasn't referring to Resonance. The fact he uses real life terms in his magic system might make it confusing, but it's important to distinguish when he is using which one. Mistings do not have a resonance. It is never in the books, it doesn't fit with how resonance works as the result of two powers, and BS has not implied such.

No, compounding is not a resonance, get that weird conclusion out of here. Second, all resonances are fixed, including that of twinborn. Every specific combination of surges/metals have a resonance. If Radiants used the honorblades to use two surges that normally didn't interact, you would get a new resonance, so they are both as fixed as one another. Every Crasher will have the same resonance. Every Gold-twinborn will have the same resonance.

Seriously I am saying we disagree and your saying I am stupid?

Feruchemy doesn't work without the investiture from the shards even if the power source is personal energy.

So you tell me what you think some of the resonances are between the metal combination? There are 16 A and 16 F metals which leads to 256 resonances. Maybe you can theorize on at least one that would prove a challenge for a KR.

Just now, BenduLuke said:

So you tell me what you think some of the resonances are between the metal combination? There are 16 A and 16 F metals which leads to 256 resonances. Maybe you can theorize on at least one that would prove a challenge for a KR.

Radiant resonances are more pronounced than metalborn ones, i.e. more useful, and they suck, so Twinborns will be even more ineffective in combat.

20 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

Vin who's interaction with the hemalurgic ear ring magnified her Bronze-A. By definition that magnification was a resonance. (Constructive interferance).

no

Spoiler

Questioner

As far as Hemalurgy, when you give that-- when it's done to somebody, would that create a new resonance?

Brandon Sanderson

It's possible that it could. Though I'm gonna say, most of the time, no... Lots of things are possible, but I'll give you a "mostly no" on that one.

Questioner

What about savantism? Is that possible with Hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, it is.

Skyward Chicago signing (Nov. 16, 2018)

9 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

So makeup crem dung? We can guess literally anything for twinborn resonances and all will have around th same chance of being viable. We don't want to make stuff up for our hypothetical, that is not what this thread is about, and we're not so desperate to as to do so. How can a scadrian beat a Radiant? 9 out of 10 times, never.

Yes, the fact every radiant order has the same resonance means that it's specific powers that form specific resonances. But again, we're not here to make crap up. Make your own thread if that's what you want to do. This is meant to compare two magic systems from everything we know, not making up crap out desperate need to have one side beat the other.

3 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Resonances are the most useless of all powers.

Name a single WoB that says Compounding is a resonance, one.

becasue i have several that indicate it isn't.

You are welcome to your opinion about resonances and compounding, I just happen to disagree and have seen enough WOB's to feel confident in my opinion. Even the one I quoted our opinions disagree.

So in other words you can't think of any metal combinations and their resonances or compounding that would prove a challenge for a KR? Skip the obvious gold compounding of Miles. Honestly I think a KR could eventually overwhelm his healing.

You are welcome to your opinion about resonances and compounding, I just happen to disagree and have seen enough WOB's to feel confident in my opinion. Even the one I quoted our opinions disagree.

So in other words you can't think of any metal combinations and their resonances or compounding that would prove a challenge for a KR? Skip the obvious gold compounding of Miles. Honestly I think a KR could eventually overwhelm his healing.

he asked for a WoB saying compounding is a Resonance. Don't wiggle your way out by saying "Oh, all of our opinions matter, you're welcome to yours." It's a useless saying to get out of a lost battle.

3 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Radiant resonances are more pronounced than metalborn ones, i.e. more useful, and they suck, so Twinborns will be even more ineffective in combat.

no

Hide contents

Questioner

As far as Hemalurgy, when you give that-- when it's done to somebody, would that create a new resonance?

Brandon Sanderson

It's possible that it could. Though I'm gonna say, most of the time, no... Lots of things are possible, but I'll give you a "mostly no" on that one.

Questioner

What about savantism? Is that possible with Hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, it is.

Skyward Chicago signing (Nov. 16, 2018)

That quote doesn't contradict my opinion, in fact from my perspective it supports it.

2 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

So makeup crem dung? We can guess literally anything for twinborn resonances and all will have around th same chance of being viable. We don't want to make stuff up for our hypothetical, that is not what this thread is about, and we're not so desperate to as to do so. How can a scadrian beat a Radiant? 9 out of 10 times, never.

Yes, the fact every radiant order has the same resonance means that it's specific powers that form specific resonances. But again, we're not here to make crap up. Make your own thread if that's what you want to do. This is meant to compare two magic systems from everything we know, not making up crap out desperate need to have one side beat the other.

Ok so you are saying there is no way a Scadrian can beat a Rosharan. Good to know. I disagree. What is the 1 out of 10 that a Scadrian can?

What makes you think a Rosharan resonance is any better than a Scadrian resonance?

Speculating on how Scadrians or Rosharans could beat each other is exactly what this thread is about. From my perspective it is how the powers interact that provides the key to victory. So speculating on resonances and power combinations is the point of the contest.

How does a KR survive a Steel twin compounder? or worse yet one bonded to a cultivation spren? Yes I think a Scadrian could bond a Spren and it is far more likely than a Rosharan gaining metal abilities.

5 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

We know of exactly zero resonances

on compounding

basically useless

pewter, cool trick, now you're dead

tin, why? just why?

Iron, have fun dying

brass, pointless

bronze, ok, what now?

Bendalloy, for what reason?

copper, what was I doing?

only good if you have something else

Zinc

Cadmium

aluminum

Chromium

Nicrocil

electrum

actually good.

gold

duralumin

brokenly good

steel

11 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

he asked for a WoB saying compounding is a Resonance. Don't wiggle your way out by saying "Oh, all of our opinions matter, you're welcome to yours." It's a useless saying to get out of a lost battle.

Compounding produces an increased amplitude of the feruchemical ability thus is a resonance. That also describe what happened with Vin and her earring.

Definition: Resonance describes the phenomenon of increased amplitude that occurs when the frequency of a periodically applied force is equal or close to a natural frequency of the system on which it acts.

That quote doesn't contradict my opinion, in fact from my perspective it supports it.

Yes, it contradicts. With hemalurgicly granted additional powers, you will have Compounding, If you allready have the same metal but second magic system. But you will not have Resonance.

Ok so you are saying there is no way a Scadrian can beat a Rosharan. Good to know. I disagree. What is the 1 out of 10 that a Scadrian can?

Twinborn, specifically steel and gold. Also, you think I'm wrong? How about we talk about that, seeing as that is the point of this thread. Let us try that hypothetical and see what the conclusion is with what we definitely know. 

What makes you think a Rosharan resonance is any better than a Scadrian resonance?

I never said that. is this for @Frustration?

5 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

So speculating on resonances and power combinations is the point of the contest

Making crap up about resonances is not what this thread is about. We are making hypotheticals based on what we know, and we only know two resonances, that for Windrunners and Lightweavers. 

8 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

Yes I think a Scadrian could bond a Spren and it is far more likely than a Rosharan gaining metal abilities.

look at the title. We are comparing magic systems, that being metallic arts and surges. Whether or not it's possible is not what we're debating.

Definition: Resonance describes the phenomenon of increased amplitude that occurs when the frequency of a periodically applied force is equal or close to a natural frequency of the system on which it acts.

The effects here are more subtle than they are when mixing Surges on Roshar, but I am convinced that each unique combination also creates something distinctive. Not just two powers, you could say, but two powers … and an effect. This demands further study. 

—Khriss.[1]

Compounding is just using the two powers, not anything extra