Scadrian vs. Rosharan magic post RoW

NameIess

1 minute ago, Bzhydack said:

No, because they arent Connected to this types of Power. If someone would be metalborn AND Radiant, then maybe, but this is simply speculation. You need Connection to Shard to use its Power.

The Ghostbloods are trying to transport Stormlight precisely because it can generally be used to fuel other investiture.

Metal born can use any power source precisely because their investiture is inborn.

4 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

Its possible, due to fact they arent Connected to Harmony (Harmony cannot see them).

Harmony is aware of Roshar and can influence anyone with more than 1 spike and can communicate with anyone who has even a single spike.

12 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

The Ghostbloods are trying to transport Stormlight precisely because it can generally be used to fuel other investiture.

Metal born can use any power source precisely because their investiture is inborn.

No.

Metalborn can use his power anywhere, because they are genetic, but this mean he can burn metals/store in metals anywhere and draw power from Preservation anywhere. Not because they can just pick any Investiture. You need Connection to Shard to use its Investiture, in Scadrian and Roshar systems. Radiant need bond a Spren. Metalborn need to be born with it.

There are tricks allowing You  to convert one Investiture into another, but they are very limited in-world yet. For example, Vasher can feed on Stormight instead of Breaths, but he cant figure out, how to Awaken with Stormlight. Venli is able to use Voidlight and Stormlight only because she is RegalRadiant (connected to both Odium and Honor).

Without Strong Connection to Honor you cannot breath Stormlight.

15 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

Harmony is aware of Roshar and can influence anyone with more than 1 spike and can communicate with anyone who has even a single spike.

But not Trellium spikes. This is whole point of Shadows of Self plot.

@Bzhydack It seems that you can use different Investiture to fuel different forms of magic. Although, as of Era 2, it seems that the best use for it would be in magical mechanisms where Stormlight might be preferable for some reason, like in South Scadrial Technology. 

However, using other Investiture to fuel a personal use of an Invested Art seems pointless in all cases except the Dor.

Spoiler

Kimbobhi

Is it possible to Surgebind using gaseous Investiture other than Roshar's?

Brandon Sanderson

So here's the thing. It depends on your definition of Surgebinding. Surgebinding would be the Rosharan definition of all of the magics. They would call the Metallic Arts Surgebinding. You are binding the powers of creation, which the word "Surge" is that word translated from Rosharan into English, that's what the word means in Rosharan, is the powers of creation. The fundamental forces which inspired me to make this. So they would consider all of them to be Surgebinding. And that's just what you're doing, you are binding and using those powers.

Other people, including Khriss, would not agree with that definition. They would say: Surgebinding is specifically binding, through the Nahel bond, the spren, the specific manifestations of Investiture on Roshar, by using specific sets of oaths in order to gain access to those powers. So she would say: no, that is not Surgebinding when someone uses Allomancy. I would lean with her on that one, but the other one's a viable definition.

What you're really asking is, can someone, one of the Rosharan, the Knightly Radiant Orders, could they power that with a different form of Investiture from a different planet? And yes, this is possible, though there might be some difficulties in making it work, which I haven't explained entirely yet. But yes, this is possible. In fact, it is possible to power all of the different magics with the different forms of Investiture. That is a possibility

This is one of the reasons why Mraize and Thaidakar are so interested in Stormlight. Because if you could get Stormlight off, and you can crack that... just way easier to get Stormlight than it is to get the other ones. Like Breath, you could consider easy, but hard to morally harvest; in fact, perhaps impossible. If you want ethical, sustainable magic, then Roshar is a much better bet than some of the other places that you could...

Adam Horne

Does that mean Mraize and [Thaidakar] want an ethically sustainable...?

Brandon Sanderson

They're really interested in the sustainable part. I would say that they both would say "yes" to that question. They would consider their actions to be, on an ethical spectrum, at least in the neutral area, perhaps. Others would disagree with that.

Adam Horne

Where would they fall, philosophically speaking, like Kantianism, or?

Brandon Sanderson

I'd have to think about that. That's a good question. Certainly not as far on the utilitarianism side as someone like Taravangian, who's about as far as you can go. But Jasnah is pretty far on that side, also. Though she considers her version more of a "what is the greatest good I can do with any action I take?" (Which one is that? It's not Kantian, but you know what I mean.) That is a little on the utilitarian side. Not a little, that's... not as far as Taravangian, but that's definitely, yeah. They would maybe be in between those two, maybe. Depends. They're not the same individual, they would have different lines.

There's gonna be (let's just say) future books that explore Thaidakar's relationship with that. But you have seen in other books the lengths that Thaidakar is willing to take in order to achieve his goals. He is not far off from Taravangian in some of those things that he has done.

YouTube Livestream 23 (Dec. 17, 2020)

Edited by ScadrianTank

8 hours ago, ScadrianTank said:

@Bzhydack It seems that you can use different Investiture to fuel different forms of magic. Although, as of Era 2, it seems that the best use for it would be in magical mechanisms where Stormlight might be preferable for some reason, like in South Scadrial Technology. 

However, using other Investiture to fuel a personal use of an Invested Art seems pointless in all cases except the Dor.

Hide contents

Kimbobhi

Is it possible to Surgebind using gaseous Investiture other than Roshar's?

Brandon Sanderson

So here's the thing. It depends on your definition of Surgebinding. Surgebinding would be the Rosharan definition of all of the magics. They would call the Metallic Arts Surgebinding. You are binding the powers of creation, which the word "Surge" is that word translated from Rosharan into English, that's what the word means in Rosharan, is the powers of creation. The fundamental forces which inspired me to make this. So they would consider all of them to be Surgebinding. And that's just what you're doing, you are binding and using those powers.

Other people, including Khriss, would not agree with that definition. They would say: Surgebinding is specifically binding, through the Nahel bond, the spren, the specific manifestations of Investiture on Roshar, by using specific sets of oaths in order to gain access to those powers. So she would say: no, that is not Surgebinding when someone uses Allomancy. I would lean with her on that one, but the other one's a viable definition.

What you're really asking is, can someone, one of the Rosharan, the Knightly Radiant Orders, could they power that with a different form of Investiture from a different planet? And yes, this is possible, though there might be some difficulties in making it work, which I haven't explained entirely yet. But yes, this is possible. In fact, it is possible to power all of the different magics with the different forms of Investiture. That is a possibility

This is one of the reasons why Mraize and Thaidakar are so interested in Stormlight. Because if you could get Stormlight off, and you can crack that... just way easier to get Stormlight than it is to get the other ones. Like Breath, you could consider easy, but hard to morally harvest; in fact, perhaps impossible. If you want ethical, sustainable magic, then Roshar is a much better bet than some of the other places that you could...

Adam Horne

Does that mean Mraize and [Thaidakar] want an ethically sustainable...?

Brandon Sanderson

They're really interested in the sustainable part. I would say that they both would say "yes" to that question. They would consider their actions to be, on an ethical spectrum, at least in the neutral area, perhaps. Others would disagree with that.

Adam Horne

Where would they fall, philosophically speaking, like Kantianism, or?

Brandon Sanderson

I'd have to think about that. That's a good question. Certainly not as far on the utilitarianism side as someone like Taravangian, who's about as far as you can go. But Jasnah is pretty far on that side, also. Though she considers her version more of a "what is the greatest good I can do with any action I take?" (Which one is that? It's not Kantian, but you know what I mean.) That is a little on the utilitarian side. Not a little, that's... not as far as Taravangian, but that's definitely, yeah. They would maybe be in between those two, maybe. Depends. They're not the same individual, they would have different lines.

There's gonna be (let's just say) future books that explore Thaidakar's relationship with that. But you have seen in other books the lengths that Thaidakar is willing to take in order to achieve his goals. He is not far off from Taravangian in some of those things that he has done.

YouTube Livestream 23 (Dec. 17, 2020)

The part you highlighted says you have to crack it. It's not as simple as breathing it in if you aren't a surgebinder.

3 hours ago, Frustration said:

The part you highlighted says you have to crack it. It's not as simple as breathing it in if you aren't a surgebinder.

I think a metal born could just soak up stormlight for use just like they can function off of mist. Metal born are naturally invested so any fuel is usable and maximizes the potential combination of abilities they can use. KR's are invested through oath and bonds so anyone can become invested, but that limits how they fuel their investiture and what combination of abilities they use.

For that matter metal born could probably use any invested light or anti light as fuel in addition to their metal to access their abilities on Roshar.

I still think a highly trained Aluminum nat or better yet twin savant could kill any order of KR at close range since they would likely be able to produce a null investiture field that would disable all the invested advantages a KR possesses: Healing, strength, shardplate, shardblade, speed, reflexes, surges, etc. Then it would come down to skill, luck, and arms. Someone like Kaladin and Dalinar might have a chance.

3 hours ago, BenduLuke said:

I think a metal born could just soak up stormlight for use just like they can function off of mist. Metal born are naturally invested so any fuel is usable and maximizes the potential combination of abilities they can use. KR's are invested through oath and bonds so anyone can become invested, but that limits how they fuel their investiture and what combination of abilities they use.

For that matter metal born could probably use any invested light or anti light as fuel in addition to their metal to access their abilities on Roshar.

1.  Metalborn are barely invested
  2. Only those with a large connection to Preservation can use mist

I still think a highly trained Aluminum nat or better yet twin savant could kill any order of KR at close range since they would likely be able to produce a null investiture field that would disable all the invested advantages a KR possesses: Healing, strength, shardplate, shardblade, speed, reflexes, surges, etc. Then it would come down to skill, luck, and arms. Someone like Kaladin and Dalinar might have a chance.

That just makes it equal, it doesn't give them an advantage.

No, you still need Connecton to particular Shard, unless you somehow solve this problem (what is very hard). And you need Focus of specific magic system. One more time, electicity analogy. You need matching plug and outlet, as well as matching voltage and amperage. So to use Investiture you are not Connected to, yoou need some sheninganings, but those are unknown yet. But some magic Systems are easier to crack than Others, for example, Aviars can be used by anyone, and SandMastery can be used with any free floating Investiture (we saw Sand charged by Stormlight), but is genetic as Allomancy/Feruchemy. And you still need Connection to the Shard what provides this powers.

And those are Autonomy magic systems.

Also, Hemalurgy can be used by anyone, anywhere, anytime, all you need is proper spike and Intent (but Hemalurgy probably feeds on victims Innate Investiture). But Allomancy, Feruchemy, Surgebinding, Awakening and, especialy, all Sel magic systems, need proper Conection to work.

20 hours ago, Frustration said:
  1.  Metalborn are barely invested
  2. Only those with a large connection to Preservation can use mist

That just makes it equal, it doesn't give them an advantage.

What makes you think Metalborn are barely invested?

I think the stronger your connection to Preservation - Harmony the more efficiently you can use mist, but all metal born can at some level.

I think the sudden loss of investiture, dissolving Shardplate, ineffective surges or shardblade, would provide enough shock for a lethal strike opening by almost anyone. If the KR survived the shock and strike they would still need to adjust to their loss of capability in their fighting providing yet more opportunity to be killed by a highly skilled opponent. In other words the shock and handicap in the KR would give them a significant disadvantage in a fight with a highly skilled opponent.

19 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

No, you still need Connecton to particular Shard, unless you somehow solve this problem (what is very hard). And you need Focus of specific magic system. One more time, electicity analogy. You need matching plug and outlet, as well as matching voltage and amperage. So to use Investiture you are not Connected to, yoou need some sheninganings, but those are unknown yet. But some magic Systems are easier to crack than Others, for example, Aviars can be used by anyone, and SandMastery can be used with any free floating Investiture (we saw Sand charged by Stormlight), but is genetic as Allomancy/Feruchemy. And you still need Connection to the Shard what provides this powers.

And those are Autonomy magic systems.

Also, Hemalurgy can be used by anyone, anywhere, anytime, all you need is proper spike and Intent (but Hemalurgy probably feeds on victims Innate Investiture). But Allomancy, Feruchemy, Surgebinding, Awakening and, especialy, all Sel magic systems, need proper Conection to work.

To use Rosharan surges you do need a connection to one of the shards of that world, but to use metal born abilities any fuel will do. The lights of Roshar are generic fuel.

Hemalurgy can steal abilities from any magic system if you know precisely where on the body to pierce and what metal to use. Then the spike needs to be placed in exactly the right place to extract the ability for use, and it must be done before the stolen investiture evaporates. Hemalurgy disrupts a person's spirit web.

You are right that anyone could potentially use Hemalurgy, however obtaining abilities with it usually requires killing the person with the original ability. It also always leaves holes in the spirit web of anyone who uses it or anyone it is used upon which is why they are vulnerable to emotional attacks.

2 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

To use Rosharan surges you do need a connection to one of the shards of that world, but to use metal born abilities any fuel will do. The lights of Roshar are generic fuel.

Not any fuel. Only Preservation Investiture work. I dont know from you took this about "any fuel". Allomancer work only on Preservations Investiture, and only by burning metals. Every Scadrian is Connected to Preservation (and Ruin), but Allomancers are Connected more.

Those WoBs are about this. You cannot fuel Allomancy with other Power than Preservations...

Skyward Seattle signing (Nov. 10, 2018)
#93 Share Copy

Play/Pause

Questioner

The people on Scadrial have innate Investiture from Preservation. If someone from another planet, say Roshar, were to get Allomancy, from Hemalurgy or Feruchemy, would that person have to have Stormlight as well as the metal in order to do their--

Brandon Sanderson

No, good question. They would just need the metal if you were Hemalurgically getting the ability. Remember, Hemalurgy is basically ripping off a piece of someone else's soul and stapling it to yours. Short circuiting the soul, so to speak... All the pieces of the soul you would need, it is giving you. It has dangerous ramifications, but you wouldn't need Stormlight also.

Figment chat (Jan. 19, 2015)
#102 Share Copy

Andrew

Does Allomancy work the same way when someone has left the planet?

Brandon Sanderson

Uhhhhhhhm, generally... yes.

But it seems you can power Feruchemy with other power, but still you need to figure out how:

LTUE 2020 (Feb. 15, 2020)
#417 Share Copy

Play/Pause

Questioner

As far as the Lord Ruler goes, how did he use the Twinborn thing? Feruchemy and Allomancy?

Brandon Sanderson

What he had to figure out how to do is: Allomancy is powered by Spiritual power directly from the Shard of Adonalsium. Whereas Feruchemy is powered by your own Investiture and effort being transferred into the thing. What he needed to do was figure out a way to power Feruchemy with Allomantic power, right? You could have done the same thing by fueling it with the Dor, or with Stormlight, or another external. But he only had access to three magics. So what he had to do was figure out that.

So what he's doing is, he's basically taking metals, (since he's a Feruchemist and an allomancers), and he is burning metals that he has Invested himself, but then using... basically, switching it so he gets a burst of Allomantic power that is charged with a Feruchemical attribute. So it's powering Feruchemy with Allomancy by burning the metal that he himself has Invested.

Questioner

So he was essentially putting stuff into the metal?

Brandon Sanderson

Basically, priming the pump. He puts it in with Feruchemy. Then he burns it with Allomancy. But that fuels Feruchemy with Allomancy, which allows him to draw on the powers of the Shards, rather than himself. So it's not really a perpetual motion machine, because he's drawing the power from someone else. But it's external, which allows him to break the rules of Feruchemy.

The big question I have is: that works in the book, because you can dig into the technicalities of the book. But that's not gonna work in the movie, right? That explanation right there, that's so many levels over the heads of the audience. So I have to figure out a way to not break the cosmere magic, but make it simpler to understand in the movie. Which is the big headache in writing the screenplay. That's probably the biggest challenge in the screenplay is to figure out how to make that all work.

And about Metalborn being Invested:

Stormlight Three Update #5 (Nov. 20, 2016)
#338 Nov. 20, 2016 Share Copy

H4rg

I would have a question about Soulcasting: is Soulcasting an Invested object harder ? And if it is a human (let's say, an Allomancer) but he is not burning any metal, would he be as easy as Soulcast as any "normal" person ?

Brandon Sanderson

It is harder to Soulcast an Invested object, but Soulcasters--by their nature--are used to dealing with this.

When Allomancers aren't burning metal, they are not considered highly-Invested.

16 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

Not any fuel. Only Preservation Investiture work. I dont know from you took this about "any fuel". Allomancer work only on Preservations Investiture, and only by burning metals. Every Scadrian is Connected to Preservation (and Ruin), but Allomancers are Connected more.

Those WoBs are about this. You cannot fuel Allomancy with other Power than Preservations...

But it seems you can power Feruchemy with other power, but still you need to figure out how:

And about Metalborn being Invested:

An Aluminum allomancer savant would be all but impossible to soulcast.

Yes you can fuel allomancy with stromlight. You can probably fuel Feruchem with stormlight as well. See below

uchoo786

How much crossover is there in use? Like if one "breathes" in the mists they can use it to power their allomancy. Could an Allomancer utilize stormlight to power his allomancy as well?

Brandon Sanderson

Most of the magics can be hacked together in one way or another, but some are easier to interchange than others.

/r/books AMA 2015 (May 25, 2015)

Questioner

If I'm a Mistborn and I change planet-- if I go over to Roshar, do I have to bring metal from Scadrial with me?

Brandon Sanderson

No, you do not.

Questioner

Could I use Stormlight, and just have the same power?

Brandon Sanderson

It would take some work.

Orem signing (Dec. 21, 2017)

Questioner (paraphrased)

Can a Mistborn use the Investiture from a Highstorm?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

It takes some effort to convert the Investiture. They can burn metals from other planets, though.

Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

Yes you can fuel allomancy with stromlight. You can probably fuel Feruchem with stormlight as well. See below

uchoo786

How much crossover is there in use? Like if one "breathes" in the mists they can use it to power their allomancy. Could an Allomancer utilize stormlight to power his allomancy as well?

Brandon Sanderson

Most of the magics can be hacked together in one way or another, but some are easier to interchange than others.

Questioner

If I'm a Mistborn and I change planet-- if I go over to Roshar, do I have to bring metal from Scadrial with me?

Brandon Sanderson

No, you do not.

Questioner

Brandon Sanderson

It would take some work.

Questioner (paraphrased)

It takes some effort to convert the Investiture. They can burn metals from other planets, though.

Note that every one of those WoB's said work to get, there is something that has to be done in order to use it, it's not as simple as breath in.

4 hours ago, BenduLuke said:

uchoo786

Brandon Sanderson

Questioner

Brandon Sanderson

No, you do not.

Questioner

Brandon Sanderson

It would take some work.

Questioner (paraphrased)

I think you misinterpret this. Yeah, any magic can be converted in any other. But in any case isnt that that easy like you first tell us.

On 21.01.2021 at 11:54 PM, BenduLuke said:

A steelrunner who breaths in stormlight and stores it in his metal mind to use later to fuel his steel running. That would be a surprise for any KR who came up against them. Stormlight fueled flash anyone?

Only some magic systems can be fueled by any Investiture relativly easy. Allomancy isnt one of them. I exagarate a little earlier, because right, you can crack Allomancy and fuel with other Investiture. But... noone knows how to do this yet. Even Hoid. This isnt simple in this case.

BTW, I think Radiant would benefit more from fueling Radiancy with Allomancy.

The simplest magic system to use with any Investiture is Sand Mastery, I think.

Edited by Bzhydack

It really is a shame that we never got to see a Mistborn using all the metals, and the only Fullborn we see died from arrogance. I think Roshar undoubtedly has the edge in open warfare, but maybe medallions / Southern Scadrian tech / mechanical Allomancy and Feruchemy will help bridge the gap, though Rosharan fabrial science will also develop tremendously to counter them. Hemalurgy isn't too helpful to steal power from Radiants but it's good at taking them out, assuming you can get through Shardplates somehow if they're Fourth Ideal. War logistics is the biggest deciding factor: Radiants need Stormlight and spren (difficult to get off-world), Allomancers and Feruchemists need metal (much, much easier); Rosharans have Soulcasting, Scadrians might have Bendalloyminds, Rosharans have the superior edge here. Scadrians will probably have Goldminds to face Stormlight healing. They'll probably have to develop something to counter Shardblades, athough... evasion from superior weaponry can get you quite far, looking at irl wars. Both have means for mobile air troops via steel but Rosharans also have two Radiant Orders there.

Then there are other creatures on both planets. Kandra and Koloss, Singers and Sleepless and Siah and (few) Larkins. Other Greatshells might be harnessed for the war efforts. Scadrial does have Mistwraiths... but Kandra and Koloss are better for combat.

Renewable troops with direct access to Invested Arts would be a greater concern for Scadrial as its magic is genetic, whereas on Roshar, it's meritocratic.

Edited by Honorless

On 12/6/2020 at 2:57 AM, Bigmikey357 said:

I don't know man. Complete Connection manipulation is frightening as all get out. And Rashek had some issues after his 1000 years of being needled by Ruin.  What if Dalinar could just straight up snatch his Connection to the Shards? Or if not so drastic,  maybe connect him with his memories of Alendi and drive him even more crazy? Don't get me wrong,  Rashek murders any other Radiant with relative ease regardless of order or oath level.  But Bondsmith powers are ridiculous on an entirely different order of magnitude than their Radiant counterparts. Rashek is still tough but a Bondsmith has a much more realistic chance to actually come out victorious. My opinion obviously. 

Seriously what has a bond Smith possibly done that could hurt the lord ruler? Bondsmith powers are not combated oriented the Lord rulers are. 

2 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

I need remind you TLR can manipulate Connection too. Duralumin Compounding is probably less diverse than Bondsmith powers, but probably can be used as countermesure.

He would have to store the Exact connection used, and even then, mess with his connection to his metalminds and their as useless to him as someone elses are.

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

He would have to store the Exact connection used, and even then, mess with his connection to his metalminds and their as useless to him as someone elses are.

But he dont need store/tap plain Connection. We know Duralumin Ferring can manipulate Connection to very specific people/places. Plain Connection is just the most basic usage of this. And, something people often forget, Connection has two directions. If something is Connected to you, you are Connected to this aswell.  Any Connection manipulation directed against Duralumin Compounder can be easily counter.

Just now, Bzhydack said:

But he dont need store/tap plain Connection. We know Duralumin Ferring can manipulate Connection to very specific people/places. Plain Connection is just the most basic usage of this. And, something people often forget, Connection has two directions. If something is Connected to you, you are Connected to this aswell.  Any Connection manipulation directed against Duralumin Compounder can be easily counter.

If I connect you to the ground you would have to store that connection, if I remove your connection to your house, you would have to tap connection to your house, it's not interchangeable, blank connection(As I see it now) won't cut it, you need specific connection.

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

If I connect you to the ground you would have to store that connection, if I remove your connection to your house, you would have to tap connection to your house, it's not interchangeable, blank connection(As I see it now) won't cut it, you need specific connection.

Yep, but it not mess with Metalminds, because they are keyd to your Identity, and every one of them has own Connection to you. Connection-manipulator will need dis-Connect every single one, one by one. And skilled Ferucheist can change Charges in the run.

17 hours ago, Frustration said:

That doesn't make sense or else you will need at different medallion for every land you visited.