Trutharchivist's crew

2 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

Alert! We're already under suspicion by the Steel Ministry: IRS Division! I have made an error in our taxes and they saw fit to investigate.

I have fixed the error in hopes of deflecting their attention. Thankfully I think they have no further suspicion than the "tax evasion" they keep talking about *laughs nervously*.

Oh, dear...

I do not believe I have done anything to demonstrate my affiliation with all of you yet, and so I will remain here, although I will have to be subtle with my presence. If I am seen with you, I will not be able to properly infiltrate anything. Unless I say that I am infiltrating this group....

:ph34r:

Oh dear. Please, @Knight of Iron, remember Scadrial's taxing mechanics next time. @Ookla the Rōnin, I don't believe it matters. Just tell them if they are suspicious that you wanted to hire us. I prefer not to start trust issues, which are very common around those parts. We believe in each other. I can't ever understand how usual thievening crews work. Why don't they just kill one another? It'll take me a little more time to understand life without trust.

Edited by The Worldookler

• 2 weeks later...

This is my 256th post - 16 squared, and I intend to talk about Mistborn here, specifically about the trust theme in it.

So, since trust is a motif in Mistborn, and since I said I will dig into ideas behind books (though this one is pretty much straight forward), I will now rumble about trust:

As I said above, life without trust are unimaginable. At least to a degree. Imagine, for a moment, how would it be like: you rise up in the morning and your mother makes breakfast. But how would you know she didn't poison it? Maybe she's tired of taking care of you. So you make her eat first. You make sure you always know where your siblings are, because who knows what they are up to. You look around you when you go out, making sure no one is following you.

School is a nightmare: too many people to watch. Each and every one of them may betray you.

All this will lead to anarchy, since any kind of ruling requires trust. So, you practically have to trust someone. So everything's great, right? We just should trust people.

Except it's not. Trust is something you have to give, but it's also the most important thing you have. A fine example is websites, like the one we correspond at. How much about yourself you are willing to give people you meet on the internet? We are being taught from a young age that we shouldn't go meet people we only know from the internet. Some people refuse to give personal information such as their names, myself included. (Though I know there are people willing to reveal their identity - the shardcasters are an example - I never am.) And a name isn't even all that important - we don't live in a fantasy world, where names have literal power. The internet is only one symptom of a far larger phenomenon, which is not necessarily bad. We are, generally, taught to be wary of strangers, and not to trust them.

Of course, those two facts aren't contradictory. You can trust people you know and distrust people you don't. Besides, trust can be scaled. Not everything is either complete trust or distrust. Though to Vin it's not all that clear.

The trust theme in FE isn't shown all that much in the prologue, though from the first moment of Vin's PoV it can be seen very clearly. She prefers being alone - because this way no one can betray her. Her whole way of life is based on "everyone is selfish and will do anything to fulfill their own desires, so I need to make it their interest that I'll live". All this is very generally, because she still slips and trusts someone else - Ulaf. She's even a bit surprised when Camon betrays Theron. Even then, before Kelsier and after Reen's betrayal, Vin can't really make herself trust no one. Not truly.

I haven't finished on this subject, but I don't think I can add much, so this is it for now.

I really want this to become a discussion and not a rumble, so I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Edited by Trutharchivist

Oh, well, I guess there isn't anything better. While we hide from the still ministry, I might as well try and explain more about the trust theme in FE.

So, Vin is generally described as very jumpy and paranoid since the beginning, though as I said, she slipped once or twice. Actually, this might make some sort of sense: Vin would've liked to be able to truly trust someone, but after being betrayed time and time again, she couldn't believe she could trust anyone. Everyone will betray you at the end, Vin. Everyone. -Ruin, using Reen's voice, HoA. This, BTW, probably means part of Vin's paranoia was instilled in her by Ruin, which I find interesting, since I can't see a motive behind doing that.

Anyway, Vin is very surprised and curious when she realizes that Kelsier's crew works based on trust. She can't believe it's possible, and after hearing that Kel was betrayed before it seems even weirder to her. She claims to not join because she believes a trust-based crew could work, or because she believes in Kel's vision, but because she's curious to see how it ends.

I... also realized that I can't find new things to talk about. I'm at a loss. I hope you have more thoughts on it. It seems I get into trouble trying to catch the trust Idei hiding here (Tesh, Connie and Knight should understand what I'm talking about. Sorry, Omi and Bearer).

6 minutes ago, Omi the Counselor said:

(Also, I was reading your signature- HAHA! Two whole mentions to me. Soon enough, people might actually know who I am... Shudder

I'm sorry to say you shouldn't count on it. I don't really interact with you much.

But, to pass to lighter topic: which of the six colors you are?

Probably green. I don't know. If I had to INFUSE my ESSENCE into the VERY NATURE of a CHROMATIC HUE, forever BONDING myself to it, I would choose the one with the most universal influence, or POWER.

(Also, Jokes! Maybe I use them excessively, but a good portion of what I say is not to be taken seriously. [See upwards^])

1 hour ago, Omi the Counselor said:

Probably green. I don't know. If I had to INFUSE my ESSENCE into the VERY NATURE of a CHROMATIC HUE, forever BONDING myself to it, I would choose the one with the most universal influence, or POWER.

(Also, Jokes! Maybe I use them excessively, but a good portion of what I say is not to be taken seriously. [See upwards^])

Glanck it, I thought to take green myself. But wait, you painted the word "Jokes" violet, so it must mean you really chose violet! Which leaves me to be the superior color! (If you still want green I'll have violet. Violet is cool.) BTW, just looked at Wikipedia and they have 7 colors, including cyan.

Wikipedia's sins are inexcusable, but not unexpected. 

Dang. Guess I walked into that one. Well, the Hue of Force is an acceptable entity to bond.

(On-the-spot creation of a whole system.)

Spoiler

Red- the Hue of Energy, or Potential

Blue- The Hue of Growth, Use, or Expansion

Green- The Hue of Invigoration, or Outward Expression

Purple - The Hue Of Force, being a mixture of Red and Blue*.

Vue- The Hue of Power, being a mixture of Red and Yellow

Yellow- The Hue of Influence, being a mixture of Yellow and blue

The Chromatic Hues of our universe, each holding a specific energy or force. A being can infuse their essence into a Chromatic Hue, Bonding themselves to it forever and becoming its vessel. Currently, the Hues Crimson, Marine, Gold, and  Cyan are without a vessel. The Hues that do have a vessel are Violet and Emerald.

The bolded Hues are Basic Hues, while those italicized are secondary. The secondary Hues are no less powerful, but each seems to be tied to two basic hues in a way. [ Edit: I am not sure this applies anymore with current Hexachromatic knowledge.]

*The Hues are categorized based on Omanth's method, to our knowledge, the most correct hexachromatic scale.

Edited by Omi the Counselor
Edited with better Hexachromatic knowledge

So, should we assign colors to each member of the crew? It could be our unique magic system, which will help us in our fight against the SEFBM. Of course, the balance will be broken if we'll have new recruits, but we could live with that. So, which color are you, in the end?

21 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

So, should we assign colors to each member of the crew? It could be our unique magic system, which will help us in our fight against the SEFBM. Of course, the balance will be broken if we'll have new recruits, but we could live with that. So, which color are you, in the end?

I’m sorry to break the balance, but... can I join? I could be our magic scholar, or something. Like Khriss. Keep an eye on SEFBM’s  magical research.

30 minutes ago, JesterLavorre said:

I’m sorry to break the balance, but... can I join? I could be our magic scholar, or something. Like Khriss. Keep an eye on SEFBM’s  magical research.

Why don't we have one already?

Sure, you are welcome to the crew! I'll just edit the OP in a minute. You seem to be part of the research branch, which I might put myself into, though I'm not sure if what I do here counts.

Counselor, don't open this one:

Spoiler

You can be the seventh color, we'll just have to keep it secret from counselor, who I am sure is not reading this.

If you agree with the hexachromatics, you can also research this magic system without having powers. Or bring in a new magic system.

I am the host of purple, or violet.

And, in other news, I am forced to accept the existence of an independent 'Light blue' shade. However, this does not disprove Hexachromatic theory. I have inserted what I believe may be the true Hexachromatic scale.

Hexachroma... .jpg

So, you now need to think of powers for the transitional hues, don't you? And since we have three basic hues, it means the transitional will need to be two for each color pair, one with more of the first color and the other with more of the second. I... don't think I can help with that. Sorry.

I’ve done some research, and it seems as though there are two differing ways to mix these colors and receive outputs.

1. Additive mixing seems to involve lights. In this case, different colored lights mix to form the color between them. White light, which may possess properties of its own, is created by mixing all three colors of one category, like red, blue, and green.
  2. Subtractive mixing involves the mixing of a physical pigment, like paint, or overlaying transparent color filters. In this case, a pigment or filter that absorbs, say, green light, will cause purple light to be reflected. This means a material that absorbs a certain color of light will appear to be a different color entirely.

This makes me wonder whether magic users of each color could mix and combine their magics in these ways to create new effects.

Tainted Hues... Yes... Less a table of power, more a spectrum... I may have to rethink the Nature of the Hues again...

Spoiler

Work-in-progress categorization of the twelve hues

Red- energy- Potential, Power

Orange- Stored energy

Yellow- active energy (Motion)

Green-yellow- exerted energy (pushing)

Green- Invigoration- infusion, potential reaching

Scalethe- transfer of energy

Vue- transformation of energy

Transitory blue- absorption of energy

Blue- growth- expansion, transition

True Violet- collection of energy

Purple- conduction of energy

Blaze Violet- Condensation of energy (Physical growth)