Lift [RoW spoilers]

Allomancer Alex

20 minutes ago, Allomancer Alex said:

After doing more digging I guess multiple people have healed from a shardblade cut (e.g. kaladin) in the earlier books. Been too long since I read them. So I'm assuming Lift is back to normal.

Yeah most likely. You don’t even need Regrowth, just normal Stormlight does the trick. 

Shouldn't be a problem for Lift to be perfectly healthy according to this WoB:

Questioner

A character in The Stormlight Archive who eventually was able to heal of a wound. An old wound, and normally old wounds, with Regrowth, can't be healed.

Brandon Sanderson

This is a limitation of healing someone else, versus healing yourself. Healing someone else is a weaker method, at least as it's understood by the Radiants currently. Figuring out how to make Regrowth fix older wounds is more difficult. When you are highly Invested in such a way that you have a spren bond, then you are able to kind of rewrite your Spiritual self to better match your Cognitive self. Basically, what your soul is better comes to match your perception of your soul and who you are, and who you want to be becomes more important. And because of that, the Radiant bond is able to heal things and even change physiology that normal Regrowth wouldn't be capable of doing.

Tor Instagram Livestream (Nov. 25, 2020)

Still doesn't explain how she was able to heal Kaladin. Progression isn't supposed to work, just Adhesion. And she was definitely using Stormlight not Lifelight unless she can somehow use Lifelight and have Stormlight come out? That might be how Raboniel got Lifelight out of her.

1 hour ago, cozz95 said:

Still doesn't explain how she was able to heal Kaladin. Progression isn't supposed to work, just Adhesion. And she was definitely using Stormlight not Lifelight unless she can somehow use Lifelight and have Stormlight come out? That might be how Raboniel got Lifelight out of her.

I have a half-baked theory that Progression creates a temporary connection to cultivation, which is why it can wake radiants. Based on Venli and Lift, radiants with a connection to another shard can stay awake, but since this is only temporary it has to be renewed. If this is true, it could explain why it worked for Lift, who has a stronger connection to cultivation

Maybe Progression/Regrowth is pure Cultivation, like Adhesion is pure Honor, and the Tower's abilities only shut down Surges that are a little of both. While Raboniel only singles out Adhesion as not being a "true" Surge, that could be because Honor has been the primary opponent of the Fused and Odium for thousands of years, so there's a lot of animosity there. While Odium's forces are theoretically opposed to Cultivation, too, she doesn't seem to have been much of an active participant in the war.

On 12/4/2020 at 8:44 PM, cozz95 said:

I believe Lift can only use Lifelight. We know she can't suck in Stormlight (as seen in the Battle of Thaylen Field). Stormlight and Lifelight look very similar, so much so that it is hard to tell them apart unless they are right next to each other and you're actually paying attention (i.e. even know to look for differences).

On 12/4/2020 at 7:44 PM, cozz95 said:

Progression isn't supposed to work, just Adhesion.

That is an assumption, I feel? We don't see any other Edgedancers or Truthwatchers awake to tell.

On 12/4/2020 at 9:09 PM, Raven Wilder said:

While Raboniel only singles out Adhesion as not being a "true" Surge, that could be because Honor has been the primary opponent of the Fused and Odium for thousands of years, so there's a lot of animosity there.

My thought on this is just that Odium made some crem up and they fell for it. I feel like he didn't want to give the Fused any Connection power, so he went "uhhh idk man, can't do it, Honor y'know, uhhhhhhhhh it's fake blame him", and they bought it for some reason.

Edited by LewsTherinTelescope

On 12/9/2020 at 9:49 AM, LewsTherinTelescope said:

That is an assumption, I feel? We don't see any other Edgedancers or Truthwatchers awake to tell.

My thought on this is just that Odium made some crem up and they fell for it. I feel like he didn't want to give the Fused any Connection power, so he went "uhhh idk man, can't do it, Honor y'know, uhhhhhhhhh it's fake blame him", and they bought it for some reason.

I think Adhesion requires being Invested in Roshar. Once Odium started becoming Invested BAM started exhibiting powers highly reminiscent of what Bondsmiths are capable of.

Just now, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I think Adhesion requires being Invested in Roshar. Once Odium started becoming Invested BAM started exhibiting powers highly reminiscent of what Bondsmiths are capable of.

Eh, I personally don't see why it'd be required for Adhesion and nothing else. But it's a possibility.

1 minute ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Eh, I personally don't see why it'd be required for Adhesion and nothing else. But it's a possibility.

Because it’s about Connection maybe? It’s a theory anyway. And something weird was going on with BAM. I’m beginning to suspect she had a Bondsmith; what she was doing doesn’t quite make sense as something she would be capable of on her own.

Just now, Kingsdaughter613 said:

And something weird was going on with BAM.

Yeah lol, that one's definitely true at least, lmao.

1 minute ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I’m beginning to suspect she had a Bondsmith; what she was doing doesn’t quite make sense as something she would be capable of on her own.

I've wondered the same. It offers an answer to how she suddenly was capable of something new that was so extremely powerful. Plus, Melishi saw the Connection lines. This indicates that the limits Honor put on Bondsmiths were breaking down, allowing her Bondsmith much more power, assuming a Mishram Bondsmith would even be limited by it in the first place.