Palanaeum

Time to finally become active on this site !

23 posts in this topic

Hey what's up I'm Palanaeum and I've been reading Sanderson books since..... 2013?  2014?  Sometime in late middle school, anyway.

The way I got into the cosmere was actually with The Way of Kings, believe it or not.  I was browsing free scifi ebooks on my ipod through iBooks (or something along those lines) and by some chance or twist of fate, it was free at that moment.  I added it and then read the whole thing on my ipod (most of it late at night) and ended up obsessed.  Words of Radiance had just come out, it was still hardcover only, and wasn't free on ibooks, so I got my mother into the books and we got hard copies aaand the rest is history.  I had no idea how long these books were until I saw the hard copies, I had only read it on a screen so far.  I've read all the cosmere books at least twice, but I've read the stormlight archive through more times than I can count.

Currently, I'm also into D&D, Critical Role, Zelda, the Vorkosigan Saga (if anyone reads Bujold's books as well hit me up.  There are too few people who have read these books), and others.

Topics of interest for the cosmere include biology (I'm majoring in biomedical sciences), Realmatics, mental illness, disability, fanart, and culture.

Edited by Palanaeum
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the Shard! If you could turn one cartoon character into a Hemalurgic entity what metal would you spike it with and who would you spike?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, More Cynical Than Funny said:

Welcome to the Shard! If you could turn one cartoon character into a Hemalurgic entity what metal would you spike it with and who would you spike?

Oh, dang, that's a huge responsibility.  First instinct is to give Stitch from Lilo and Stitch allomantic pewter.  I just think it would be chaotic interesting for him to have access to super strength for the purposes of Shenanigans.  He probably wouldn't mind the fact that a person had to die for this, right?  And also that Ruin would be able to influence his mind?  Oh well.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Palanaeum said:

Oh, dang, that's a huge responsibility.  First instinct is to give Stitch from Lilo and Stitch allomantic pewter.  I just think it would be chaotic interesting for him to have access to super strength for the purposes of Shenanigans.  He probably wouldn't mind the fact that a person had to die for this, right?  And also that Ruin would be able to influence his mind?  Oh well.

Hmm Ruin influenced Stich nothing can go wrong right? I think Hemalurgic Stich would be wonderful and disturbing at the same time.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Palanaeum said:

Hey what's up I'm Palanaeum and I've been reading Sanderson books since..... 2013?  2014?  Sometime in late middle school, anyway.

The way I got into the cosmere was actually with The Way of Kings, believe it or not.  I was browsing free scifi ebooks on my ipod through iBooks (or something along those lines) and by some chance or twist of fate, it was free at that moment.  I added it and then read the whole thing on my ipod (most of it late at night) and ended up obsessed.  Words of Radiance had just come out, it was still hardcover only, and wasn't free on ibooks, so I got my mother into the books and we got hard copies aaand the rest is history.  I had no idea how long these books were until I saw the hard copies, I had only read it on a screen so far.  I've read all the cosmere books at least twice, but I've read the stormlight archive through more times than I can count.

Currently, I'm also into D&D, Critical Role, Zelda, the Vorkosigan Saga (if anyone reads Bujold's books as well hit me up.  There are too few people who have read these books), and others.

Topics of interest for the cosmere include biology (I'm majoring in biomedical sciences), Realmatics, mental illness, disability, fanart, and culture.

Welcome to the Shard! Glad you like Sanderson. Yeah, I love all cosmere book but the Stormlight Archive is beyond Godly. What's your favorite cosmere book?

Edited by Ookla the Tortured
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ookla the Tortured said:

What's your favorite cosmere book?

All of stormlight ties for first, and no one can make me choose between them.  Other than stomlight, though, one of my absolute favorites is Emperor's Soul.  It's so masterfully done and an example of amazing short fiction.  It really highlights the differences between good short fiction and good epic fiction.  It's incredible how Brandon can write both styles so well.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Palanaeum said:

All of stormlight ties for first, and no one can make me choose between them.  Other than stomlight, though, one of my absolute favorites is Emperor's Soul.  It's so masterfully done and an example of amazing short fiction.  It really highlights the differences between good short fiction and good epic fiction.  It's incredible how Brandon can write both styles so well.

Finally someone I can agree with in liking The Emperor's Soul. Please take my reputation.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, More Cynical Than Funny said:

Finally someone I can agree with in liking The Emperor's Soul. Please take my reputation.

I agree. Im sorry @Palanaeum, I ran out of rep to give :(

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, More Cynical Than Funny said:

Finally someone I can agree with in liking The Emperor's Soul. Please take my reputation.

 

1 minute ago, The Windrunner Supreme said:

I agree. Im sorry @Palanaeum, I ran out of rep to give :(

Ahh, people with taste!  Emperor's Soul is criminally underrated.  It's got amazing characters, an exciting plot, and Realmatics as well as some cool art forgery.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Palanaeum said:

 

Ahh, people with taste!  Emperor's Soul is criminally underrated.  It's got amazing characters, an exciting plot, and Realmatics as well as some cool art forgery.

Its better than all of Stormlight The magic system I love. And the characters I formed an attachment to for once.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, More Cynical Than Funny said:

Its better than all of Stormlight The magic system I love. And the characters I formed an attachment to for once.

The magic system is so unique, the characters are complex and easy to empathize with (even on both sides of the conflict), the politics are realistic and interesting, the themes and morals are nuanced... all in a novella!  There's just so much to love here.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Windrunner Supreme said:

I agree. Im sorry @Palanaeum, I ran out of rep to give :(

Gave it for you. :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes! Emperor's Soul is awesome! Hmm, what's your least favourite Sanderson book, @Palanaeum?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Hmm, what's your least favourite Sanderson book, @Palanaeum?

Is it a copout to say white sand...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Palanaeum said:

Is it a copout to say white sand...

Not really, it is canon.

Who are your favourite characters? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Honorless said:

Who are your favourite characters? 

Obligatory faves are Renarin and Steris and Jasnah because they're autistic like me.  I also love Rysn, Teft, Kaladin, and the Sibling for similar reasons.  I absolutely loved some of the new characters in RoW.  It's hard to say who my favorites are because there are some I like as people and there are others I think are well-crafted and compelling characters, even if I would dislike them as people or dislike their actions (like Moash, Taravangian, Szeth, even Lirin to an extent).

RoW non spoilers but in the box just in case

Spoiler

Rhythm of War really made me love Navani both as a character and as a person.  She's complex and insecure while also being strong and capable, and her POVs got me invested in her in a way I wasn't before.

In all honesty, my favorite characters are whoever was in the scene I most recently read.  I have a soft spot for characters I relate to though.  What makes you like a character?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Order of the Knights Radiant did you get in the official quiz, @Palanaeum?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the Shard Palaneum! That is quite the way to get into the Cosmere that sounds awesome! The universe was telling you it must be so, you were going to read that book one way or another and you best believe it :D And yeah, seeing these things in hardcover is just WOH :blink:

I think we've got a Critical Role thread here that may be of interest for you to check out. I really like your distinctions with characters you like as a person and characters you think are well done characters too!

Oftentimes people hate a character so much they think they are a really bad character but honestly if they make you hate them that much then they are actually a really good character in how well done they are! It definitely makes it hard to choose but I would say I typically go for who do I like as a person although I respect the other for being diabolical!

Nicely done with a non-spoiler and keeping it in the spoiler box as well. RoW is in ultra-max-super-lockdown spoiler prison right now so keeping discussion to the RoW section is the way to go! If you had to transform one SA novel into pictures of puppies which would you choose? Hope you enjoy the Shard!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2020 at 3:04 PM, Palanaeum said:

The magic system is so unique, the characters are complex and easy to empathize with (even on both sides of the conflict), the politics are realistic and interesting, the themes and morals are nuanced... all in a novella!  There's just so much to love here.

So many fantasy novels don't have good political structure like Mistborn But I love how Sanderson did it in TES. Most authors would make that in 700+ pages. Sanderson: 175.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, More Cynical Than Funny said:

So many fantasy novels don't have good political structure like Mistborn But I love how Sanderson did it in TES. Most authors would make that in 700+ pages. Sanderson: 175.

What’s TES?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, More Cynical Than Funny said:

The Emperor's Soul

Ooooooh. Thanks. :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.