17th Shard's Christmas: Advent Calendar

Experience

10 minutes ago, Ookla the Shadowed said:

Today's prompt is Gift!

The emoji is B)

@Ookla the Channelknight @Hentient @Vapor @Ookla's Dice we need more people doing this!

Yeah, I know, I know. I'm sorry. I've spent the last couple days writing a last-minute entry into the Scholastic Art and Writing competition, but now that I've finished that, I should be able to get back to doing this.

5 hours ago, Ookla the Shadowed said:

Today's prompt is Gift!

The emoji is B)

@Ookla the Channelknight @Hentient @Vapor @Ookla's Dice we need more people doing this!

I feel left out of the summoning.

A single fragment of jewel on a band of shaped steel. Cold to the touch, but inscribed by a roguish smirk. Love separated by petty mortals and their squabbles. Something noble buried with blood soaked dead in drunk earth. Ascendant power fills this simple bit of metal with strength not broken by the feeble attempts of foolish warlords. The stars above glow brighter when this symbol gifted in love touches the air. Songs flit on the wind so long as this continues to exist. Not even the mighty storms can help, but shed a tear when this totem is so very near.

Edited by Nathrangking

Let's finally start digging into this magic system. :D I hope this chapter isn't too info dump-y. (Prompt: Gift)

Spoiler

“Okay, okay. Back the storms up, you three.” Layla was flustered. “What in Harmony’s name is a Listener?” If the three robed figures were confused by Layla’s use of Cosmere expletives, they didn’t show it. The bearded one spoke.

“You know that every object, every concept, has a Spiritual Aspect here, correct.”

“Yes. Meg told me about that. And human perception influences how things manifest in this world.”

“Yes. You know the basics already, I see. Have you ever wondered why you can see into this world from the material when other humans cannot?”

“No. I guess I kinda just accepted it.”

“It is a rare genetic mutation, you have. Your mind processes sensory input, mainly sound, differently.”

“How does hearing help me see?”

The man sat down, the younger boy pulling up a wooden chair for Layla to sit at. The fire crackled soothingly in the background. The bearded man pulled a smoldering stick from the flames.

“You see this piece of firewood? Its very atoms, its quantum particles…” He giggled. “Back in my time, we didn’t know about those… they vibrate with a rhythm, and that rhythm remembers everything that had happened to this stick. Have you heard of the butterfly effect, Layla?”

“I think… the theory that even a small action, like the flap of a butterfly’s wings can cause an exponential error in an equation?”

“Exactly. Every action causes a chain reaction of actions. Though the flame of this stick was put out, the flame accelerated the movement of its very atoms, charring its wood. This small fire caused millions of particles to slightly alter their course.” 

“So… what are you saying? How does this connect to me?”
“The stick remembers, Layla. Each atom of carbon was slightly altered by this blaze, and its movement, its state, is changed forever. You can sense those miniscule changes, perceive the rhythm of the atom’s vibration. That, Layla is the Spirit World. It is not a world. That is merely how the human mind comprehends a reality it cannot truly comprehend.” “This,” the man gestured with his hands all around himself, “this is an abstraction of a reality that exists at the quantum level.”

“And I can see this because… I have a genetic mutation. A sixth sense.”

“More a combination of all five senses. You have a gift, Layla. What you use it for… that is up to you.”

Edited by Ookla the Sprinkle

21 hours ago, Ookla the Shadowed said:

Today's prompt is: Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor (I did really just type that out)

Oh, great. How am I going to work this in? :P

Edit: Okay, I'm just going to go with a passing reference to him by the main character. That's good enough, right? Here it is:

Spoiler

Layla sat with a cup of hot chocolate. Apparently you didn’t need sustenance in the Spirit World, but Layla still appreciated it. The three Vide’modum had introduced themselves. I guess I’m part of that group, too. Vide’modum. 

The bearded man was Phoebos, the younger boy - though Phoebos had said he was really thousands of years old - was Marius. The final man, the one with the shock of white hair crowning the back of his head, was Leonidas. Ancient names, Layla thought. What would it be like? Living in the Spirit World for years on end, not aging, watching the ages go by, but never able to interfere without risking the specter of time.

Layla contemplated as the other Vide’modum chatted with Christmas Spirit, exchanging stories.

Leonidas turned from the conversation, looking to Layla. “Layla, perhaps it is time we talk about why Stars brought you here.”

Layla looked up from her drink. “My destiny?” If Layla had something she needed to do, it was her duty to do it, she figured.

“Yes, Layla. We have been waiting for another to take up our place here. We have been waiting for another for so long… I have forgotten so much. It is time for another to take up the watch.”

“You want me to stay here… forever?”

“Well, not yet.” Marius interjected quickly. “There would be time to decide. Both for you and for us.” he chuckled. “Jupiter knows we’ve been here for millenia. We can wait a few more years. We need to decide if you’re worthy. We don’t need another Theodor situation.”

“Wait, Theodor? I met him!”

“You did? Well, I doubt it lasted long. He is quite disagreeable. He would never be able to hold the watch.”

“This watch, what is it?”

Marius’ voice took on a sound of reverence. “The Watch was created by Tahgonodigese thousands of years ago.” 

“Tahgo-what? That’s worse than Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor.”

“Tahgonodigese. He saw the chaos that could be created by rampaging spirits, saw the destruction. He assembled a trio of Vide’modum and put them to the task of watching the spirits, keeping them in line. Whenever possible, we swear in new members, so the the old can take their rest.”

“They die?!

“Believe us, Layla, we are ready.”

Layla realized she was standing, and sat back down, thinking. Who was she to deny them their rest? They had been waiting so long…

“What do I have to do?”

“Well, we will train you, get to know you. Then, if you are deemed worthy, we will swear you in. The paths are binding, Layla. Magically.”

Layla sighed, putting her chin up in determination, squaring her shoulders. “I’ll do it. And I suggest we start by finding some way to deal with Detritus.”

The three stirred at the name. “Detritus?” Leonidas sounded alarmed. “He has been imprisoned in the Bonds of Fate for centuries. What is your concern with him?”

“Well, considering he was the one who brought me to the Spirit World in the first place, quite a bit.”

The room fell dead silent.

Contented clouds hover as the edge of the angriest of storms. It rages with a fury unmitigated by mercy. It's voice shouts obscenities that could only be understood by gods. Gashes are torn by the storm born blade of the enraged specter that looms over all. The peaceful fringes seem to ask "what are these things you want? You rage about and destroy, but what do you gain?" Onward the destruction is spurred. Ever faster do the storm's breaths fly. Power shatters mountains and obliterates forests. Cities are made barren, while the sea made desolate. All the while that question echos. It fills all of reality with its wonder. No answer ever comes.

Prompt: Things you want

Spoiler

“Detritus has escaped?” Phoebos paced the room, hands behind his back. Christmas spirit sat at the fire, roasting marshmallows on a pine branch. He was oblivious to the anxiety that had been awoken in the Vide’modum

“If it’s any consolation,” Layla said, “I don’t think all of it is free. Just portions. A weird junk monster came and attacked me, but I don’t think it was all of Detritus.”

Just portions! How did any of him get out?”

“Well, how was it trapped?”

“The Bonds of Fate. They were created at the start of all things… they were created at the beginning of the universe. Able to bind any spirit.”

“How do they work?”

“They’re a spirit, you could say. The Aspect of Cosmic Law.”

“And they hold Detritus in place?”

“And many others. They keep rogue spirits running free and causing havoc.”

Layla collapsed into one of the empty seats in the room.”Well, let’s start with Detritus. How can we beat it?”

“Without rebinding it? Who knows? We can deal with the part of Detritus that has broken off. The puppet. We just need to destabilize it. Break apart its form. Simple enough. We can set out in the morning.”

Layla lay in the bed, thinking about what the Vide’modum had said. This had been one long day. Why had Detritus’ prison cracked? It was the fundamental laws of the universe. Those didn’t change.

Layla closed her eyes, darkness closing in on her. Then, she opened her eyes. Darkness still awaited her when her eyes opened.

Layla flailed in the void, before a soft hand touched her back. Layla turned, and saw light shining over the horizon of darkness. And in that light, cast as if by nothing… 

“Shadow!” Layla embraced the spirit, whose white eyes curved into what Layla thought was happiness. 

“I’ve been waiting for you to sleep for so long. I was worried I wouldn’t be able to reach you.”

“You can talk to people in their dreams?”

“Only if they’re in this realm. Any spirit can, theoretically, but a connection is needed to sustain the dream. I need to be able to find the sssubatomic statessss that comprise your astral body.”

Layla wasn’t certain what that meant, but she was elated enough to be able to talk to Shadow.

“I saw your cats! Why did they attack me?”

Shadow withdrew, hissing with an intake of breath. “SSssssss… I… I am conflicted, Layla. I cannot always be trusted. I am both the trusted friend who is always at your back, as well as the trickster always in place to stab you in the back. Two faces of the same coin.”

Layla considered that for a moment. She guessed it made sense. Spiritual Aspects were shaped by human perception. There were so many conflicting myths about shadows, there had to be some differences, there.

Shadow continued. “I can control this expression of myself.,” She gestured to her incorporeal body, “but my more violent aspects are harder to restrain. Do not trust any shadow you see that is not me.”

Layla nodded. “I met these men… the Vide’modum.”

Shadow hissed swiftly. “Petulant mortalsss… they think they can chain us spirits from here, sow us to their clothes, so to speak. They do good… but we do not get along.”

“They say it’s my destiny to become one of them.”

Shadow was silent for several seconds. Layla took a step toward her, before she heard a soft, rattling hiss emanating from Shadow. Growing louder. “They presume!” Shadow's voice quivered. “Be wary, Layla. Sssss… They do not hold your best interests at heart.”

“They need me so that they can die in peace.”

“The greatest power of humans, Layla, is autonomy. Spirits cannot go against their nature. I cannot harm a human. Those oaths are binding. You will lose some of that autonomy.”

“Maybe it’s worth it. It’s my duty.”

Shadow hummed. “Are they asking your help in tracking down Detritussss, too?”

“Yes.”

“Well, then, I suppose that’ssssss... your choice. I will try to help, Layla. I will track the spirit, as well. Let us hope our paths cross. And, Layla… remember. Remember what you want. Not what the world wants from you. You’re more than that.”

The dream faded, and Layla sunk into a deeper sleep.

The 12 days of the cosmere conjures the love of all of the couples that we love to love. Come Siri and Susebron alight with colors. Come Wax and Steris making plans in the skies. Onward Wayne and Melaan sitting at the bar. Forward the knife and Sadeas' face. Adolin and Shallan walk through the highstorm surrounded by light. Hello Vin and Elend shrouded in mist. Here are your 12 days the beginning of many more.

On 12/12/2020 at 11:08 PM, Ookla the Shadowed said:

Today's Prompt is 12 days of the Cosmere

The emoji is :wub:

Yes! I finally have an excuse to write a Cosmere themed 12 days of Christmas song!

Edit: Here it is! Disclaimer: Don’t try to sing this out loud. I don’t think it works :P.

Spoiler

On the twelfth day of Christmas the Cosmere gave to me...

12 Unnamed Mothers

11 Kandra Generations

10 Knight Orders

9 Unmade 

8 Shin with Blades 

7 Major Shardworlds

6 Vague WOBs

5 Radiant Ideals

4 Splintered Shards

3 Bondsmith Spren

2 Stormlight Arcs

And one interconnected series...

Prompt: 12 Days of the Cosmere

This looked kind of fun so I wrote something (although it's kind of stretching the prompt). I've never written fanfiction before, but this takes place during Words of Radiance. I would've made it longer, but I already procrastinated on an essay while writing this and need to actually do homework now :P

Spoiler

It had happened again. Panicked, Kaladin kicked open the door to the Bridge Four barracks, receiving concerned stares as he began to race through the warcamp. Storms! he thought. I set up guards and everything. And somehow they still did it. They’re still writing on the walls. 

He’d received the news from Skar a few seconds earlier. The men had once more discovered writing on the walls outside of Dalinar’s rooms, which meant that Kaladin had failed. Again. These days, failure was becoming something he understood all too well. But he couldn’t dwell on that...not right now. He’d reprimand himself later.

Attempting to push aside the thoughts that condemned his shortcomings, he inhaled, drawing in Stormlight from the spheres inside his pocket. He burst alight, the glow settling around him and the familiar feeling coursing through his body. He was a blur of blue as he dashed towards Dalinar’s rooms, and an even faster blur as he Lashed himself towards the palace.

He quickly arrived at the palace’s entrance, and then he let himself fall back to the ground so he could run the rest of the way. Storms! he thought again, heart racing as he further closed the distance between himself and his destination. Storms. Storms. Storms.

Eventually, Kaladin made it to Dalinar’s rooms. He stopped at the doorway, panting as he quickly glanced around the room. Dalinar, Navani, and Adolin were all staring at him, their faces confused. “Sir!” Kaladin managed, his voice quick because of his anxiety. “It’s my fault. I’m so sorry. I’ll post more guards next time. I have to do better.” 

Dalinar sighed, putting one of his hands to his head “Son,” he said calmly, “this has happened multiple times. It’s not your fault. But now that you’re here, come take a look at what they’ve written.”

Kaladin nodded, walking over and trying to ignore the smirk Adolin wore on his face. Putting his hands on his hips, Kaladin studied the message that was scratched on the wall before him. The glyphs were done crudely, obviously with an unpracticed hand. But this time it surprised him; the message was different.

Twelve days, it read. Celebrate. Christmas comes. 

“Alright,” Kaladin said after having looked over the glyphs. “What the storms is Christmas?”

Navani, who held a cup of orange wine in her fingers, was the first to respond. “We don’t know, Captain. But the only other thing this person has warned us about is the Everstorm. So whatever Christmas is… it’s probably something highly dangerous.” 

Highly dangerous, Kaladin thought. Absolutely wonderful. 

“I’ve tasked my scholars with discovering what this ‘Christmas’ is,” Navani continued. “We need to be prepared in case something goes wrong.”

Dalinar nodded curtly. “Yes,” he said. “There’s not much us soldiers can do about it right now, but I suggest we do revise our guard system. While it’s not your fault, Kaladin, I do think your suggestion to post more guards would be wise.”

Kaladin proclaimed his agreement and saluted before then being dismissed from the meeting a minute later. As he made his way back to the Bridge Four campfire, Christmas dominated his thoughts. What terrors awaited Roshar on this strange day? What was it? 

I’ll find out, he thought, grumbling quietly to himself. Whatever it is, with my luck, it’s probably not going to be very cheery.

18 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Here, I'll give today's...

Dec 20:

• Secret Santa
  • :blink:

Thank you! Should we also get some catch-up ones for the days we missed?

Prompt: Secret Santa

Spoiler

Meganeura buzzed in annoyment at the strange creatures’ glee. This tradition. It was so… “Beautiful.” Tree put his hand forward. It was covered in the needles of an evergreen, and small colored baubles which the spirits they now conversed with had strung in. 

Tree’s limbs creaked as he spoke, groaning like carapace in the morning. “It is… beautiful. Thank you, whoever made this.” Tree held a large globe of glass in his branch. Within was a tiny house, covered in particles of snow that spun and twirled when you shook the globe.

Elf, a small, pointy-eared spirit wearing a conical hat jumped in the air, spinning around in a way Meganeura would have gotten dizzy from. “I’m sure you’re very welcome, Tree! Now, who’s next?” 

“Ahh, Elf, open yours, finally!” The small spirit gave the speaker, a spirit who had named himself “Reindeer”, a sheepish smile. “Well, I suppose. I just love watching you all open yours.” 

Tentatively, Elf reached to the small, paper-wrapped parcel at his feet. Then, he quickly ripped off the paper, gazing at wonder at what was within.

Meganeura had given him a sword, of course. It was practical. You never knew when you would have to defend yourself in the Spirit World. It was quite a dangerous place.

“I’ve never seen anything like it before… what is it, Dragonfly?” 

Meganeura buzzed annoyedly. She had split from Dragonfly long ago. They had gone their separate ways, and now Meganeura was left with only what was hers.  She had to deal with it.

Also, never seen a sword? So naive… how have they ever lived this long? They should have died off long ago.

And now we need their help, so we have to go along with their crazy “Secret Santa”.

“Mmmmmm… Well!” Meganeura piped up, trying to sound grateful. “We have quite the journey ahead of us.” We should be talking about the terms of your aid. Mmm?”

“What?! But we haven’t even had the gift exchange!” Exchange? That sounds practical. “What’s that?”

“Oh, it’s holly jolly! You bargain over gifts you don’t want!”

The sound Meganeura let out could be best described as a nest of hornets being awakened by a sleepy black bear. 

“Come on, Tree. We’re leaving. They couldn’t help us find Layla if they wanted to.”

Tree didn’t move, though.

“Tree?”

He sat, looking into the snowglobe. Then, he looked Meganeura in the eyes. “Dragonfly,” He murmured softly, like the slow, calming winds through the boughs of an ancient forest, “I like this. I like it… here.” 

Oh, Primordial! I don’t deserve this! Why had Tree ended up with her? Why her? Tree, I’m so sorry. You got the worst half.

Meganeura hummed a sad, discordant rhythm, shaking slightly in her flight. “Mmmmmm… I…” Who was she to deny Tree this? If she really loved him… she would let him stay, right? But Layla…

“Meg.” A moment of clarity came to Tree’s normally clouded pine eyes. “Trust me. They can help.”

Meganeura collapsed to the floor, landing lightly despite her shaking wings. I lost Tree, he lost the better half of me, and now… we’ve lost Layla. In the Spirit World! A panic started overtaking her. She couldn’t control it! None of it!

Meganeura felt a hand on her shoulder. Tree’s rough branches tickled her wings, but Meganeura steadied herself. No. She had to be strong. For Tree, for Layla, for the world. She would not fall into this updraft again. She couldn’t

Edited by JesterLavorre

• 11 months later...