A Magical Reawakening

Goob

No one quite knows why it happened- perhaps a passing ASB, perhaps a snap in spacetime, or perhaps sheer quantum chance. 
Whatever it was, it happened. On January 1st, 2015 at 12:00am, magic in the world returned.
All magic.
Any, every piece of folklore, from Ancient China to the Native Americans, the Aboriginals to the Mongols, all of it came back- monsters, artifacts, magic, everything and anything.

Unicorns roam the plains of Europe, and in the basement of an office buildings a satanic cult summons up demons and devils to serve their will. A great dragon advises an wise old man in China, and a Rakshasa tricks a businessman into following him a dark alley with promises of great wealth.
Uh, not many gods, though. The world didn't turn into a reckoners, but with gods- that's a whole other setting. There are powerful beings, yes, but nothing like the pantheons of Greece and Rome.
One-off monsters, killed long ago (Such as the Gorgons, the Minotaur, and so on) are still dead and will remain dead, unless someone revives them somehow.
This will be far more FotT-eqsue- we will all make the story, however, unlike FotT, please keep to the theme for your characters (Folklore of all kinds- Christian, native, anything). Be good, be evil, I don't care- just create STORY.
I'll start.
====================================================================

January 1st, 11:00am, Liverpool, UK

Grace woke up in her apartment on a perfectly normal day.

She sat up, yawned, got dressed, and went downstairs and started brewing a cup of coffee. Her mother had the news on and was switching between channels rapidly.
"Finnish man has been found with nearly 3 million worth of gold in his Helsinki..." 
"15 people missing in Sussex this morning, reports of sharks..."
"Cornwall man wins millions, credits his victory to..."

Grace yawns again, takes a sip of her coffee. She pauses- something seems... off in the city. It had a strange tension to it, an energy. She shakes her head and turns away from the window- she needed to get to her winter break job soon. 

Edited by AmazingGoob

Guest Somebody from Scadrial
4 minutes ago, AmazingGoob said:

Spoiler

Ok, I have a bit if a bard character that should fit in

"Hello, hello, one and all, this is Jim Gorge in the hooouuuse!" Jim proceeds to play a few songs until midnight when he finally stopped and packed up. On his way home he saw what looked like a giant bird fly above him.

Edited by Somebody from Sel

Alex sat on a bench, reading. It was no unusual day. Then a man, dressed in rather unusual white garments sat down next to him. Alex slid away a little. "Hello," The man said. "Hi." 

They sat awkwardly for a moment.

"How are you?" Alex asked.

"I'm doing good. I'm happy." He gave a slight smile. "Eternally happy. What's your name?"

"Alex. Yours?" Now Alex was immensely creeped out. He was getting ready to run.

"Siddhartha. Though... You might rather call me Buddha." The man smiled, stood up, and walked away.

What?

Edited by Ookla the Counselor

2 hours ago, Ookla the Channelknight said:

I kinda doubt that. However, if you really want some magic, perhaps an old family heirloom or some sort of good-luck charm.

Grace walked down the street. The buildings of downtown Liverpool rose around her as she walked to her job at the local diner. 

The smell of the sea and the smell of smoke intermingled- wait, smoke?

She looks up and the biggest plume of smoke she's ever seen flowed across the sky from the seaside.

"Ah! Fire!"

She patted herself down to find her phone- unfortunately, she had forgot it at home.

@Ookla the Counselor

"You!" She runs over to the nearest person who was sitting on a bench looking a little confused.

"There's a fire- do you have a phone?"

"No! I just walked over here to read!"

Was it just him, or was something very weird happening? First a man claiming to be Buddha, or The Buddha, or whatever, and now this giant fire? Alex hoped dearly that the two weren't related. That would mean one of two things. Either there was an insane religious-terrorism group running around, or something more... supernatural was going on.

Edited by Ookla the Counselor

14 minutes ago, Ookla the Grammatical said:

I don't see any problem with that.

32 minutes ago, Ookla the Counselor said:

"No! I just walked over here to read!"

"Crap! Look... Wait. The diner is that direction! Uh... Well, see you!"

She begins to run towards the source of the flames, leaving the strange person behind.

5 minutes ago, Ookla the Counselor said:

"Wha-I-Okay, then."

Now Alex wasn't sure, but usually, when one saw a sudden fire in the direction of a building, it was customary not to run towards it. But what did he know?

Wait, are you following or not?

1 minute ago, AmazingGoob said:

I mean, your character doesn't have to be human. :ph34r:

Hmm... well then, who would I protect? I'd have to know everyone's character's Chinese Zodiac sign. Plus, then I wouldn't be able to say anything. Silent characters are hard. So what if... no, everyone else is doing things without powers.

Guest Somebody from Scadrial

Jim boarded his plane to return to Liverpool, which had been his home for three years now. He looked out the window and saw a pair of what looked like Harpies.

On 12/1/2020 at 1:20 PM, Ookla the Grammatical said:

I was thinking more of a humanoid race like norse elves or dwarves or Rakshasa or something, but an sapient animal could work too.

On 12/1/2020 at 1:55 PM, Ookla the Counselor said:

Looking behind her and seeing the boy follow her, she calls back "Oh, decided to follow, have you? Come on, the diner isn't far!"