17th Shard's Christmas: Christmas Stories/Traditions

Experience

Here's the thread for any real life Christmas stories or traditions that you might have.

For me, my family has a pickle ornament that my grandparents hide somewhere in the house on Christmas eve, and on Christmas whoever finds it gets a special Pickle Present.

So, what are all your stories?

@Nathrangking @Ookla's Dice @Ookla the Rhadamanthine @Ookla The Female Chicken @Ookla the Shadowed @Ookla the Ethereal @Ookla the Sarcastic @Aspiring Writer @Ookla the Sly @OoklaWasTaken @Ookla the Channelknight @Chasmgoat @AmazingGoob @Ookla the Grammatical @Ookla the Naxdin @Ookla the Sprinkle @Ookla's Dice @Ookla the Tortured @Ookla the Steampunked @anyone else

Edited by Ookla the Shadowed

3 hours ago, Vapor said:

Our family is pretty big, so we always draw sibling names out of a hat and give all the gifts we buy for siblings to them. It's a way to save money and get more valuable presents.

We do a similar thing, where everyone draws a name and gets a "full-sized" present for that person. We might still get presents for other siblings, but those will generally be lower-cost, little things.

9 hours ago, Ookla the Grammatical said:

We go up into the mountains(with a permit) to sled, drink hot cocoa, have fun with family, and get our own live Christmas tree! Every Black Friday. Now we just have to put ours up. :P

What? You need a permit to sled there?

:o

10 hours ago, Ookla the Sarcastic said:

We always play bingo on one side of the family and we bring a whole bunch of bingo prizes, and on the other side we have a soup supper.

@Ookla the Groovy and I have a pretty similar tradition, except it’s split between the kids and adults. The kids will usually buy $5-$10 bingo gifts, and we all play until everybody gets a gift. Afterwards comes the main event of the night: adult bingo. Same setup, slightly more expensive gifts, but there’s a catch/bonus. Our grandparents invest in a ridiculously expensive bingo gift (newest apple phone, an Apple Watch, a new tv, sometimes just straight up cash) and all the adults play one round of bingo to determine who the winner is. Things are pretty tense during that round, needless to say (luckily all my aunts and uncles are on great terms with one another so it’s not like a fight is going to break out or anything) and who ever is victorious usually celebrates for a solid 5 minutes. Oh and we also have a giant gift swap, once again divided by age. Am I missing anything AC?

1 hour ago, Ookla the Shadowed said:

We are always forced to wait for a very long time upstairs until all the adults are ready. Then, it's picture time, which takes another hour. So it's usually about noon by the time we actually see the tree on Christmas.

We do that too and it annoys me so much because one of my younger siblings makes it a sport to try to get down without them seeing, but every time my mom sees him we have to wait longer.

Just now, Ookla the Channelknight said:

It actually had nothing to do with the pronoun (I kinda skimmed the sentence). I just know that Fog's a bigger troublemaker.

Let him know I said that. I want to know how he reacts.

He's at school. But I'll let him know when he gets home.

This isn’t on Christmas, but anytime from Thanksgiving to a week before Christmas, we do gingerbread houses! If we’re with my mom’s side of the family, it gets pretty intense. We have tables full of decorating candy and it usually takes the whole day to finish our houses. It’s super fun! It’s fun with just my family or my dad’s side too, but we pretty much just use the stuff in the kits haha.

2 hours ago, Ookla the Steampunked said:

@Ookla the Groovy and I have a pretty similar tradition, except it’s split between the kids and adults. The kids will usually buy $5-$10 bingo gifts, and we all play until everybody gets a gift. Afterwards comes the main event of the night: adult bingo. Same setup, slightly more expensive gifts, but there’s a catch/bonus. Our grandparents invest in a ridiculously expensive bingo gift (newest apple phone, an Apple Watch, a new tv, sometimes just straight up cash) and all the adults play one round of bingo to determine who the winner is. Things are pretty tense during that round, needless to say (luckily all my aunts and uncles are on great terms with one another so it’s not like a fight is going to break out or anything) and who ever is victorious usually celebrates for a solid 5 minutes. Oh and we also have a giant gift swap, once again divided by age. Am I missing anything AC?

We also usually decorate our grandparents Christmas tree together. And I forget Truthless, do you all do Christmas traps?