Coup Game 2: Chasmgoat Wins!

Whysper

This will be game 2 for Coup. This game will use Allegiances from the expansion, but will not include the Inquisitor.

Please reply to this thread to sign up. Signups will end in 24 hours, or earlier if we reach 10 players. Player order will be randomized later.

Game Objective

Spoiler

Each player is attempting to eliminate the [ ? ] Influence (character cards) of all the other players. These cards are unknown to the other players, and players may bluff on their claims.

When a player loses [ ? ] Influence, they choose which card to reveal. It no longer provides influence to the player and does not return to the court deck.

When a player loses all their influence, they are exiled and removed from the game.

The last player standing is the winner.

Characters

Spoiler

[ A ] Assassin: Assassination: Pay ( 3 ) coins, choose player to lose [ ? ] Influence.

[ B ] Ambassador: Exchange: Take 2 cards, return 2 cards to court deck. Blocks stealing.

[ C ] Captain: Steal: Take ( 2 ) coins from another player. Blocks stealing.

[ D ] Duke: Tax: Take ( 3 ) coins. Blocks foreign aid.

[ S ] Contessa: Blocks assassination.

Allegiances

Spoiler

Each player is assigned a starting Allegiance of [ R ] Reformist or [ L ] Loyalist, alternating in player order. There is no difference between them.

Convert: Change Allegiance. Place ( 1 ) coin for yourself or ( 2 ) coins for another player on [ TR ] Treasury Reserve. Cannot be blocked or challenged.

Embezzle: Take all coins from [ TR ] Treasury Reserve. Cannot be blocked.

The following actions cannot be taken on a player of the same Allegiance unless all players are of the same Allegiance.

• Steal
  • Assassination
  • Coup

Actions & Counteractions

Spoiler

Actions are formatted in greenCounteractions are formatted in red.

Income: Take ( 1 ) coin. Cannot be blocked or challenged.

Foreign Aid: Take ( 2 ) coins. Cannot be challenged. Can be blocked by player claiming [ D ] Duke. Cannot be blocked by a player of the same Allegiance unless all players are of the same Allegiance.

Convert: Change Allegiance. Place ( 1 ) coin for yourself or ( 2 ) coins for another player on [ TR ] Treasury Reserve. Cannot be blocked or challenged.

Embezzle: Take all coins from [ TR ] Treasury Reserve. Cannot be blocked.

[ A ] Assassination: Pay ( 3 ) coins, choose player to lose [ ? ] Influence. Can be blocked by [ S ] Contessa. Cannot be used on a player of the same Allegiance unless all players are of the same Allegiance.

[ B ] Exchange: Take 2 cards, return 2 cards to court deck. Cannot be blocked.

[ C ] Steal: Take ( 2 ) coins from another player. Can be blocked by [ C ] Captain or [ B ] Ambassador. Cannot be used on a player of the same Allegiance unless all players are of the same Allegiance.

[ D ] Tax: Take ( 3 ) coins. Cannot be blocked.

Coup: Pay ( 7 ) coins, choose player to lose [ ? ] Influence. Cannot be blocked or challengedCannot be used on a player of the same Allegiance unless all players are of the same Allegiance.

If ( 10+ ) coins, must Coup.

Setup

Spoiler

Each player starts with 2 [ ? ] cards and ( 2 ) coins. Each player is assigned a starting Allegiance of [ R ] Reformist or [ L ] Loyalist, alternating in player order.

The deck will contain the following cards based on the number of players.

• 4-6 players: 3 each character (15 cards total)
  • 7-8 players: 4 each character (20 cards total)
  • 9-10 players: 5 each character (25 cards total)

Game Play

Spoiler

Turns will take place in the order of the player list from top to bottom.

During your turn, state your action and the character claimed (if applicable) in green.

I will take income.

I will tax with my Duke.

You can bluff on your claim (e.g. pretend you have a [ D ] Duke when you only have a [ S ] Contessa).

If you want to block an action or challenge a claim, state the counteraction and the character claimed in red.

Player 1: I will steal from Player 3 with my Captain.

Player 3: I will block with my Ambassador.

If a player uses an action that directly targets another player (stealing, assassination, coup), then the targeted player must be allowed to block or challenge before play continues to the next player. If the targeted player does not want to take a counteraction, they should acknowledge that they accept the action (e.g. "I do not block").

Player 1: I will steal from Player 3 with my Captain.

Player 3: I do not block.

For non-targeted actions (e.g. taxing), any player can block the action or challenge the claim until the next player takes their turn.

I challenge your Duke claim!

If all players are not of the same Allegiance, then play will continue only if the next player is the opposite Allegiance or after a player from the opposite Allegiance has acknowledged that they accept the action.

[ R ] Player 1: I will take foreign aid.

[ L ] Player 5: Action acknowledged.

If the player uses the [ B ] Exchange action, then the next player must wait for that player to acknowledge that they have received their choices from the host and chosen a new card before taking their turn.

I will exchange with my Ambassador.

I have chosen my card.

After each player has taken their turn for the round, play continues from the top of the player list. The game continues until only one player remains.

Discussions & Deals

Spoiler

Any discussions for the game must be held within the game thread. You cannot use PMs to talk with other players.

Any deals made are not binding. You cannot trade cards or give coins to other players.

Time Limit

Spoiler

The time limit for your turn is 24 hours. If you do not submit an action within that time frame, then you will automatically take income. If you already have 7 coins, then you will coup a random player instead.

This time limit also applies to responding to an action that can be blocked or challenged (e.g. stealing). If you do not respond, then you will automatically be assumed to not block and not challenge.

Players

Edited by Whysper

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Shadowed said:

I'll play. I know the rules irl, but i better go check what they are for online.

I think the rules in the game 1 thread are the general rules. But we've kind of developed some online rules along the way in that game. The main one would be that if one player does an action that directly affects another player, then the targeted player needs to be given a chance to respond with whether they challenge or not.

Otherwise, for any other actions, we were playing such that anyone can challenge until the next player takes their turn. We could possibly adjust this so that a certain amount of time needs to pass between turns (e.g. one hour) or that a certain number of other players need to say "no challenge" (like maybe 2 or 3) before the next player goes.

Just now, Whysper said:

Okay, great! :) 

For your eyes only...

Reveal hidden contents

Psst, if you help me win game 1, I can shuffle the cards in your favor.... :) 

yeah, no.

oh and just something to add some spice, you can include the expansion pack, it involves alliances. If you want, I can send you the rules. (Might take a while to get though)

3 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

oh and just something to add some spice, you can include the expansion pack, it involves alliances. If you want, I can send you the rules. (Might take a while to get though)

Yeah, I was wondering about whether to use the expansion. I've never played with alliances. But I thought about changing the Ambassador to the Inquisitor.

1 hour ago, Chasmgoat said:

I did find rules on the alliances and think it would be a good idea, especially with so many players. It will split players into 2 separate alliances where they work together at first. This will help so that it isn't so risky at the start. You'll only be against 5 players instead of 9.

3 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

you will still be up against the 9 people because the last person standing still wins.

Yes, in the end, that's right. But at least at first it is limited.

3 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Oohh, that is interesting. Especially since you need to work with that while at the same time crippling them to gain an advantage later in.

Yeah, the temporary alliance and possible backstabbing will be interesting. There's even mechanisms to change your alliance and change the alliance of another player.

Here's a pretty good overview of the expansion.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1346290/enders-comprehensive-pictorial-overview-more-cards

Edited by Whysper

Just now, Whysper said:

that is true, I think you may be surprised how quickly alliances can change though, you can use them as weapons because if the person after you has 10+ coins and will coup someone, you can pay a few coins to change an alliance and force them to kill. anyway, alliances add a new aspect and are very fun.

Are we playing with the expansion? if we are, is it the full expansion or just alliances?

2 minutes ago, Whysper said:

Yeah, the temporary alliance and possible backstabbing will be interesting. There's even mechanisms to change your alliance and change the alliance of another player.

Maybe we should make this Great Houses themed, and everyone has to pick a great house. Makes perfect sense. Just put the house name next to each name on the list for reference.

1 minute ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Maybe we should make this Great Houses themed, and everyone has to pick a great house. Makes perfect sense. Just put the house name next to each name on the list for reference.

there are only two alliances... Loyalists and another. you switch between them

2 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

Are we playing with the expansion? if we are, is it the full expansion or just alliances?

Originally I only planned on swapping to the Inquisitor. But I'm glad you brought up alliances. I think it would be best to only switch to alliances for now so it doesn't change the game too much. Maybe game 3 we can then swap the Ambassador for the Inquisitor. The Inquisitor makes things even more interesting with getting the chance to peak at other players' cards.

3 minutes ago, Whysper said:

Originally I only planned on swapping to the Inquisitor. But I'm glad you brought up alliances. I think it would be best to only switch to alliances for now so it doesn't change the game too much. Maybe game 3 we can then swap the Ambassador for the Inquisitor. The Inquisitor makes things even more interesting with getting the chance to peak at other players' cards.

ok, sounds good!

2 hours ago, The Windrunner Supreme said:

When does this game start?

I'm going to wait for game 1 to finish up so there's no confusion. That's almost done. Plus that gives me a little time to fancy up some rules here. I've been playing around with using fancy formatting to represent the cards so the game state can be summarized more compactly.

I'll still accept additional signups until then.