Ookla The Oreo

How do you pronounce Kelsier?

43 posts in this topic

Something I don't get:

Obviously, none of the civilizations in the Cosmere use the Roman alphabet; that names are written using these letters is purely for our benefit. So, given that Sanderson can choose whatever spellings for names that he wants, why choose something non-phonetic or un-intuitive?

In real life, the name "Sean" is pronounced "Shawn" while the name "Seacrest" is pronounced "See-crest", but that's because those names come from different languages, ones that, while they use the same alphabet, have different rules about how that alphabet is pronounced. In the Cosmere, though, you're not going to find the same alphabet used in Alethkar as you will on Scadrial, and neither alphabet is going to be the same as any that exists on Earth. So why is "Jasnah" pronounced like "Yasnah", while "Allomancer Jak" has his name (as far as I'm aware) pronounced like the English name "Jack"? Neither is the authentic spelling of those names, since the characters would have no idea what any of those letters mean. So what purpose is served by these spelling/pronunciation choices?

11 hours ago, Raven Wilder said:

Something I don't get:

Obviously, none of the civilizations in the Cosmere use the Roman alphabet; that names are written using these letters is purely for our benefit. So, given that Sanderson can choose whatever spellings for names that he wants, why choose something non-phonetic or un-intuitive?

In real life, the name "Sean" is pronounced "Shawn" while the name "Seacrest" is pronounced "See-crest", but that's because those names come from different languages, ones that, while they use the same alphabet, have different rules about how that alphabet is pronounced. In the Cosmere, though, you're not going to find the same alphabet used in Alethkar as you will on Scadrial, and neither alphabet is going to be the same as any that exists on Earth. So why is "Jasnah" pronounced like "Yasnah", while "Allomancer Jak" has his name (as far as I'm aware) pronounced like the English name "Jack"? Neither is the authentic spelling of those names, since the characters would have no idea what any of those letters mean. So what purpose is served by these spelling/pronunciation choices?

Sanderson has gone insaine?

14 hours ago, Raven Wilder said:

So what purpose is served by these spelling/pronunciation choices?

Aesthetic ;)

I think "Kell-SEER" is how it should be pronounced but I say "Kell-see-ay" because it's fun lol

1 hour ago, Voidsabre said:

I think "Kell-SEER" is how it should be pronounced but I say "Kell-see-ay" because it's fun lol

Actually, I kind of pronounce it as a mix between Kell-See-er and Kell-Seer. 

On 5.12.2020 at 5:19 AM, Raven Wilder said:

Something I don't get:

I suppose the spelling is kind of intiutive if you recognise the earth culture the spelling alludes to and pronounce accordingly.

On 12/4/2020 at 8:19 PM, Raven Wilder said:

Something I don't get:

So Kelsier could be pronounced "kafes-gna-fes" I'm hearing you say?

1 hour ago, More Cynical Than Funny said:

So Kelsier could be pronounced "kafes-gna-fes" I'm hearing you say?

Fun fact: according to J.R.R. Tolkien, Sam Gamgee's name should be more accurately pronounced as "Banazîr Galbasi".

6 minutes ago, Raven Wilder said:

Fun fact: according to J.R.R. Tolkien, Sam Gamgee's name should be more accurately pronounced as "Banazîr Galbasi".

Whaaaaaa? :blink:

5 hours ago, More Cynical Than Funny said:

Whaaaaaa? :blink:

. . . I think it's Elvish.

Just now, Ookla the Tortured said:

. . . I think it's Elvish.

Sam is from the Shire not Elvish cites I thought. . . He does have a thing about elves in the first book though.

It might be in the Middle Earth's Common Tongue, which definitely is not English.

15 minutes ago, More Cynical Than Funny said:

Sam is from the Shire not Elvish cites I thought. . . He does have a thing about elves in the first book though.

But He could've translated it to Elvish I mean. . .

Okay Banazir is apparently a Hobbitish name meaning "simple minded"

Don't quote me on this, cause I'm not positive it's correct:

Supposedly Tolkien was "translating" the Hobbit, LOTR, etc. from a language called Westron.  The name changes were to make it easier on English speakers.  Basically, he's making his world more immersive.

That's basically what he did. He wrote it in the appendices of LOtR. I remembered it, but couldn't remember the word appendices, so I didn't say it.

Yeah. Bilbo is Bilba, for example, but English speakers would read that as feminine, so he changed it. Tolkien was unique, as he created full languages for everything!