FFRP/world building experiment.

Guest Somebody from Scadrial

Poll world building stuff  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How long until we stop worldbuilding?

2. 2. Which should the main focus be on?

• Politics in a world with superheroes
    • Superhero life
    • Whichever happens

Ok so this is going to be a little bit of a collective free form roleplay, bit for the first 3-5 pages we're just going to do world building for the city this takes place in and the world at large. Here's the stuff I've already made (note: you do not have to join the future roleplay to world build or vis versa):

Spoiler

This story will take place in a metropolis and will likely be a combination of made-up politics and just plain roleplaying.

I'm going to do superheroes as the kinda "magic system" and this can be slightly futuristic or slightly in the past, but it should be pretty close to modern times.

There is one major superhero rights organization and several smaller organizations with different goals.

@00kla

I don't want to make decisions :P

Ok, so how about there's a superhero faction in the government that works to defend super's rights, privileges, etc. There is no overarching organization but there are many independent organizations of supers with varying goals, whether they be social justice, economic, environmental, or for profit. Supervillains are usually dealt with quickly and quietly as to not tarnish all super's public reputation. Most norms are wary of the supers but appreciate the work they do for various causes or enterprises. If the supers are more common, then I imagine their views on the political world would vary wildly as well. So even though there is a faction built up for the legal defense of supers, there are supers who oppose how they do that. This could also lead to there being three versions of successful supervillains. The first being the "underground" type, basically working in secrecy. The second being the "political" type, one that uses the legal system and the government to achieve their evil goals. Then the incredibly rare "Showboat" type, ones that are either insanely lucky or skilled enough that they haven't gotten caught by the super heroes. Let me know if you can follow this train of thought, o if I need to reconsider how I explained it.s.

Edited by Somebody from Sel

How orderly should the superheroes be? Is there a loose league of justice, an orderly avengers, a strict hierarchy like Epics, or lone vigilantes? Are they a force in the government? Do they work for the government, against the government, or are they the government?

I have some ideas I like for these but I don't know what other people want to do. 

1 hour ago, 00kla said:

How orderly should the superheroes be? Is there a loose league of justice, an orderly avengers, a strict hierarchy like Epics, or lone vigilantes? Are they a force in the government? Do they work for the government, against the government, or are they the government?

I have some ideas I like for these but I don't know what other people want to do. 

Well, start world building. It's up to you and everyone else. We're all going to start making decisions. So it's up to you, which is it?

Ok, so how about there's a superhero faction in the government that works to defend super's rights, privileges, etc. There is no overarching organization but there are many independent organizations of supers with varying goals, whether they be social justice, economic, environmental, or for profit. Supervillains are usually dealt with quickly and quietly as to not tarnish all super's public reputation. Most norms are wary of the supers but appreciate the work they do for various causes or enterprises.

7 minutes ago, 00kla said:

Ok, so how about there's a superhero faction in the government that works to defend super's rights, privileges, etc. There is no overarching organization but there are many independent organizations of supers with varying goals, whether they be social justice, economic, environmental, or for profit. Supervillains are usually dealt with quickly and quietly as to not tarnish all super's public reputation. Most norms are wary of the supers but appreciate the work they do for various causes or enterprises.

Interesting thought. I have a hard time believing that the government could realistically restrict these supers if they wanted to, especially if it were ruled by the normal folk. On the other hand, if the government did have the power to stop these supers then i would imagine that there would be powerful normal folk trying to make that move. Adding political intrigue to this world could be a great decision.

If the supers are more common, then I imagine their views on the political world would vary wildly as well. So even though there is a faction built up for the legal defense of supers, there are supers who oppose how they do that. This could also lead to there being three versions of successful supervillains. The first being the "underground" type, basically working in secrecy. The second being the "political" type, one that uses the legal system and the government to achieve their evil goals. Then the incredibly rare "Showboat" type, ones that are either insanely lucky or skilled enough that they haven't gotten caught by the super heroes. Let me know if you can follow this train of thought, o if I need to reconsider how I explained it.

We should also eventually address how these supers got their powers.

9 minutes ago, The Ookla's Guard said:

Maybe similar to the way in the Flash tv show? I'm very open to suggestions.

General Kenobi!

9 hours ago, The Ookla's Guard said:

Interesting thought. I have a hard time believing that the government could realistically restrict these supers if they wanted to, especially if it were ruled by the normal folk. On the other hand, if the government did have the power to stop these supers then i would imagine that there would be powerful normal folk trying to make that move. Adding political intrigue to this world could be a great decision.

If the supers are more common, then I imagine their views on the political world would vary wildly as well. So even though there is a faction built up for the legal defense of supers, there are supers who oppose how they do that. This could also lead to there being three versions of successful supervillains. The first being the "underground" type, basically working in secrecy. The second being the "political" type, one that uses the legal system and the government to achieve their evil goals. Then the incredibly rare "Showboat" type, ones that are either insanely lucky or skilled enough that they haven't gotten caught by the super heroes. Let me know if you can follow this train of thought, o if I need to reconsider how I explained it.

On the first point, my train of thought was a little bit more along the lines of privacy and whether the Avengers are a business and can charge for saving people, or whether Superman can sue someone for wearing Kryptonite jewelry (as some examples)

All those supervillain things make sense

2 hours ago, Ookla the Reserved said:

I assume that we're going Initiation Event in modern history?

What do you mean? I'm thinking a couple relatively recent Bursts of super powers, but it's not up to me.

13 minutes ago, Ookla the Reserved said:

The arrival of superpowers is a relatively recent development, I mean; society hasn't developed around them.

Uh like more than a decade less than two. So it has adapted, but not developed.

On 11/30/2020 at 10:32 AM, Somebody from Sel said:

Uh like more than a decade less than two. So it has adapted, but not developed.

Did these superpowers come all at once or slowly over time? Were they created on purpose, or was there some sort of unexplainable accident?

Just trying to encourage more creative juices to flow.

Edited by The Ookla's Guard

28 minutes ago, The Ookla's Guard said:

Did these superpowers come all at once or slowly over time? Were they created on purpose, or was there some sort of unexplainable accident?

Just trying to encourage more creative juices to flow.

You decide.

Okay then, we should start answering some questions...

But I'm going to answer them with another question.

'Were they created on purpose, or was there some sort of unexplainable accident?'

Adding to that, was it spiritual, or quantum physics, or human science, or something else?

We really should start making up some answers...

15 hours ago, The Ookla's Guard said:

Did these superpowers come all at once or slowly over time?

I, personally, think slowly over time is better. Don't know about intention behind it.

To have the supers at hold, maybe there should be a super-secured (no pun intended) database of their weaknesses, assuming they have ones? After all, some super villains are basically superheroes who's decisions turned for the bad.

33 minutes ago, Ookla the Counselor said:

Okay then, we should start answering some questions...

But I'm going to answer them with another question.

'Were they created on purpose, or was there some sort of unexplainable accident?'

Adding to that, was it spiritual, or quantum physics, or human science, or something else?

To answer this, I think we need to answer what kind of powers they have

14 minutes ago, The Worldookler said:

I, personally, think slowly over time is better. Don't know about intention behind it.

To have the supers at hold, maybe there should be a super-secured (no pun intended) database of their weaknesses, assuming they have ones? After all, some super villains are basically superheroes who's decisions turned for the bad.

We don't even know if they have weaknesses, it's not like they're aliens. I don't think it should be a requirement to have weaknesses though.

14 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:

We don't even know if they have weaknesses

I mean, there might be a mental toll on the human body from having received these incredible powers.

22 minutes ago, 00kla said:

To answer this, I think we need to answer what kind of powers they have

I agree with this. Is it something about their body that's superpowered, can they manipulate reality? Really, what is the scope and limitations of these powers?

18 hours ago, Ookla the Counselor said:

I mean, there might be a mental toll on the human body from having received these incredible powers.

I agree with this. Is it something about their body that's superpowered, can they manipulate reality? Really, what is the scope and limitations of these powers?

This is an important decision. Do we want to go with the more "classic comic book" powers, or do we want to go with something else?

I love a good classic comic book set of powers, but I think it would lead to a more serious tone if we went with something along the lines if manipulating reality. So basically, what kind of tone are we shooting for?

1 hour ago, The Ookla's Guard said:

This is an important decision. Do we want to go with the more "classic comic book" powers, or do we want to go with something else?

I like "classics", but I also don't know how to define those at all. Although, that gives me an idea in an origin. What if somehow comic books were coming into the real world?

On 12/3/2020 at 9:00 AM, 00kla said:

I like "classics", but I also don't know how to define those at all. Although, that gives me an idea in an origin. What if somehow comic books were coming into the real world?

Ooh, excellent idea. Although this leads us to an incredibly important question, tone. Do we want a more whimsical tone that's generally applied to comic books, or do we want something more serious and "nitty gritty?"

1 hour ago, The Ookla's Guard said:

Ooh, excellent idea. Although this leads us to an incredibly important question, tone. Do we want a more whimsical tone that's generally applied to comic books, or do we want something more serious and "nitty gritty?"

Considering we're dealing with politics, more serious is probably the idea.

This is turning into something not dissimilar to The Boys, if you know that show, and I don't mind too much.