Moash Appreciation Thread

Toaster Retribution

As much as I hate his storming guts...

You’re right. He’s chillingly efficient. In fact, I think he’s really the ONLY villain besides Taravangian who has dealt any sort of lasting damage to the heroes. Killing Elhokar and Teft, destroying Jezrien, almost breaking Kaladin- he’s very good at what he does.

Still, I would argue that Taravangian is at LEAST at or above his level in terms of effective villainy. ESPECIALLY in part 5 of RoW, when he (major spoilers ahead)

Spoiler

Takes out Odium and OUTWITS THE WIT!

2 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Mraize: Has spent three books being on the phone with Shallan, and then she hung up on him.

LMAO

You're right.

I hate Moash as much as the next one but he causes a whole lot more damage than people give him credit for, which ultimately might come back to bite them in the bums.

Don't forget that Moash is directly responsible for Kaladin swearing the 3rd Ideal, and indirectly responsible for the 4th.

We should give zero credit for 'almost', though, unless we give 'almost' to the others as well. 

Rayse--almost turned Dalinar to be his Champion, and also almost turned Kaladin.  He also almost didn't die. 

Sadeas--almost killed Kaladin dozens of times, almost killed Dalinar and Adolin, convinced almost enough Highprinces to not try to stop the Everstorm to ensure an easy win for Odium.

Amaram--almost didn't get used up and spit out by every faction that would have him.

Mraize--almost convinced Shallan to become a mindless assassin.

Moash--almost had a family in Bridge 4, until he threw it all away.

I kind of agree with the sentiment, but Vyre doesn't really have that many impressive accomplishments after Oathbringer. In Oathbringer he kills Elhokar and secures one of the most influential wins in the True Desolation, but in Rhythm of War he basically fails in everything he attempts. He only succeeds in killing Teft, which was only a means to corrupt Kaladin, which he failed to do. Moreover, he doesn't have much agency or drive, unlike the other major villains, he's strictly a henchman, carrying out other, bigger, villains dirty work.

What's really impressive is that he managed to survive for so long, villains in Stormlight don't usually last all that long, and Moash is behind only Taravangian and Mraize in how long he's managed to stick around.

3 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Endowment was in on the plot. Why do you think Nightblood was there for T to use?

On that count there is no doubt. It was a long time plan of Endowment and cultivation. 
I don’t think Taravangian is going to direct his shards intent towards killing other shards. 

19 hours ago, Nymeros said:

Moash is a great character. Vyre is not and is poorly written.

Eh, I'll disagree there, I think Vyre makes a lot of sense and in some ways is even relatable. 

But definitely! This antagonist, whatever you may call him, can get crap done! Makes me wonder what we'll do in book five when he'll probably kill Dalinar or something :P 

35 minutes ago, Ookla the Intimidating said:

But definitely! This antagonist, whatever you may call him, can get crap done! Makes me wonder what we'll do in book five when he'll probably kill Dalinar or something :P

I think Moash will have one of the highest killcounts in the series when it comes to killing important characters.

3 hours ago, LuckyJim said:

What's really impressive is that he managed to survive for so long, villains in Stormlight don't usually last all that long, and Moash is behind only Taravangian and Mraize in how long he's managed to stick around.

Moash has been around longer than Mraize, depending on how you count. And also, Nale is up there as well, given that he appeared before Mraize did in WoR.

2 hours ago, Ookla the Intimidating said:

I think Vyre makes a lot of sense and in some ways is even relatable. 

What do you relate with?

Also, how do you feel about him killing Elhokar quickly and efficiently with no undue fuss but then dragging out Navani's death and taunting her? How does that make sense to his new emotionally dead state? Ditto for trash talking Teft.

Edited by Nymeros

12 hours ago, Nymeros said:

Also, how do you feel about him killing Elhokar quickly and efficiently with no undue fuss but then dragging out Navani's death and taunting her? How does that make sense to his new emotionally dead state? Ditto for trash talking Teft.

Oh yes  :D  When reading that part, it felt like he was standing there waving that sword over Navani for at least 5 mins while she had quite a discussion and even a sing-song with the Sibling. I don't like that kind of time warps, but BS seems to love them.

1 hour ago, GameOfGroans said:

Oh yes  :D  When reading that part, it felt like he was standing there waving that sword over Navani for at least 5 mins while she had quite a discussion and even a sing-song with the Sibling. I don't like that kind of time warps, but BS seems to love them.

Wasn't it the anti-voidlight rhythm navani sung which paralysed him ?

4 minutes ago, Friendshipspren said:

Wasn't it the anti-voidlight rhythm navani sung which paralysed him ?

Yes I agree. At first he was struggling with Robaniel, then she created anti-voidlight rhythm which she said was really hurting Moash and caused him to stagger. 
Then when she bonded the sibling, he managed to reach her but together they created sibling light which then blinded him. 

7 minutes ago, The Traveller said:

Yes I agree. At first he was struggling with Robaniel, then she created anti-voidlight rhythm which she said was really hurting Moash and caused him to stagger. 
Then when she bonded the sibling, he managed to reach her but together they created sibling light which then blinded him. 

Oh yeah raboniel stopped him too. Hmmm yeah but still it is wierd he didn't kill raboniel straight out. I mean he's emotionless and shouldn't care about her. 

One good swipe and she would be dead. He has surges too. He could have just lashed himself towards navani , dragging raboniel behind or slipping off her . 

Huh ? The song paralysis I can understand but not killing raboniel or using surges on her is wierd 

Although perhaps he didn't want to kill a good tool and an important figure too. Heh. 

Edited by Friendshipspren
A little polishing