So who will be Odiums champion

SzethIsBadAsHell

Since Odium got an upgrade in RoW I’m expecting some big things . I absolutely have no idea who it will be . But there are some interesting options 

1. El : this Fused is so feared his name is not to be spoken . Even the Pursuer watched his mouth around him . I suspect he is of a type we have not seen yet . One that uses Division !

2. Moash even though he is blinded . I expect Odium can grant him an ability to compensate for loss of eyesight . Like sonar kind of like Daredevil . 

3. Nale seeing how he is a Herald and handle Szeth like an unruly stepchild this is almost the worst option for Dalinar . He would be outmatched in fighting skill for sure 

4. Adolin : I predicted Adolin to be Odium long ago . Born under the sign of the nine . Pissed at Dalinar for killing his mom . But mostly because he is the one person Dalinar would not want to kill which sounds like Todium all day . I like Adolin a lot so I hope this is not the case . But I would be wrong not to consider him 

5. Someone we haven’t seen yet . My least favorite guess . As this is totally not like Brandon. To not foreshadow this .

Lastly I don’t like Dalinar being his own champion . I keep thinking about the old lawyer adage . The guy who represents himself has a fool for a client . Dalinar doesn’t have shards and baring him gaining an Honor blade he won’t have shards . Sooo he would be better off letting. Kaladin do it . Or maybe using his bond smith powers to connect himself to Taln and try and borrow his abilities perhaps . I really would like Taln restored to be Dalinar champion but hey Dalinar seems dead set on kicking ass himself .

what do you guys think ? Who will be Odiums champion ?

Oh I didn't even start speculating on that. Like, who would even be Dalinar's champion? Dalinar himself like he intended to? Kaladin (I know what Kal & Dal said but come on, it's Kaladin, the big hero™), Szeth (Nightblood, it is his book)

And with the Taravangian twist, I got really blindsided and didn't even think about Odium's champion. Huh, I remember back in OB, Odium's champion was shown with nine shadows. If it is a new character, they'll have to be really impressive but the sheer weight given to them requires them to be someone we know. I mean, this isn't an anime, it's Brandon. It probably won't be a new character with an impressive powerset but an old one with narrative weight with powers that were foreshadowed... and I can't think of anyone who fits the bill. Maybe Moash, if Dalinar chooses Kaladin (which they both don't want), maybe someone did survive Rathalas against Dalinar? I don't know... 

Edited by Honorless

2 hours ago, Honorless said:

Oh I didn't even start speculating on that. Like, who would even be Dalinar's champion? Dalinar himself like he intended to? Kaladin (I know what Kal & Dal said but come on, it's Kaladin, the big hero™), Szeth (Nightblood, it is his book)

And with the Taravangian twist, I got really blindsided and didn't even think about Odium's champion. Huh, I remember back in OB, Odium's champion was shown with nine shadows. If it is a new character, they'll have to be really impressive but the sheer weight given to them requires them to be someone we know. I mean, this isn't an anime, it's Brandon. It probably won't be a new character with an impressive powerset but an old one with narrative weight with powers that were foreshadowed... and I can't think of anyone who fits the bill. Maybe Moash, if Dalinar chooses Kaladin (which they burn don't want), maybe someone did survive Rathalas against Dalinar? I don't know... 

Would NB accept Szeth as good if he became Odium's Champion? Does Odium know that aspect of how NB works?

My guesses:

1) El. We got those vibes 

2)  Jasnah. Terrifyingly. I think her ethics has the potential to line up with tOdium's and her talk about the dangers of hope has me worried.

3) Moash is being set up as this though frankly without some improvements I can't see him winning

4) a child. Don't know which. Because then Dalinar will struggle to kill them. 

5) Ishar. Might even end up thinking he was representing the good guys the way he currently is. 

6) Chana. She's one of the most secretive Heralds now and would be hugely dangerous with her combat skillset.

7) Battar. Another dangerous and unaccounted for Herald who may have links to Kharbranth

I don't think Nale will end this book on Odium's side, and I don't think Szeth will turn unless he's mentally even more broken in Shinovar, though Odium is targeting the main cast one by one so I think Odium will try.

Adolin  I find it really hard, without some huge new secret, to see him fall. It would take a writing masterclass to turn him without breaking character. 

2 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Adin, most likely. The kid got an interlude for a reason. If not him, his dad.

Also: Felt and his wife. 16 as well.

His interlude was just to show off Kaladin plate in part 5 IMO . Coolest part of part 5 to be honest . I love that scene . Especially when Adin kicked the Fused wearing plate . It made his day I’m sure . 

1 minute ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:
7 minutes ago, SzethIsBadAsHell said:

Still seems odd we’d get some random kid’s POV. It could have been someone we’d interacted with before - why introduce someone new?

Not Really characters from back 5 books were children during the front 5 books . Brandon said he would start introducing some in books 4 and 5 . So I bet Adin is the POV wind runner in the back 5 books 

Well I originally had some out there ideas about who would be whos champion.

E.g. Adolin is going to revive and bond all deadeye spren and be everyone's champion!

I have since calmed down a bit and I think Dalina will realise again he can't do everything himself and choose another champion. And i still thought Adolin because he's been shown to be an awesome duellist and this "battle" is essentially a duel but with magic..

And than I started thinking outside the storms and had an epiphany...

Who is the unquestionably, no hesitation required best fighter amongst the Heralds?

TALN!! (Seriously, who doesn't want to see this guy fight?)

So I was totally on board with Taln being Honours Champion.. and I had a scary thought.. 

What if Taln did break.. 

And now I'm convinced Taln will be Odiums Champion.

And that's the story of how I made myself a bit sad.

!~ HIF ~!

34 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Still seems odd we’d get some random kid’s POV. It could have been someone we’d interacted with before - why introduce someone new?

That kid has been introduced since Part 2: 

Spoiler
Kaladin pulled the bandage snug on the boy’s ankle. “Next time, Adin,” he said, “take the steps one at a time. 
The youth nodded solemnly. He was perhaps twelve or thirteen. “One at a time. Until I get my spren.”
“Oh? Your spren?”
“I’m gonna be a Windrunner,” the boy said. “Then I’ll float down steps.”
“That’s what it means to be a Radiant, is it?” Kaladin asked, standing. “Floating.”
“That, and you can stick your friends to the walls if they argue with you,” he said. “A Windrunner told me.”
“Let me guess. Short fellow. Herdazian. Big smile?”
“Yup.”
“Well, until then,” Kaladin said, “I need you to keep your weight off that foot.” He looked to the father, standing nearby, his trousers marked with potter’s crem. “That means a crutch if he has to walk somewhere. Come back and see me in a week; his progress will let us know for certain it didn’t fracture.”
The father helped his son with a thankful murmur. 

32 minutes ago, SzethIsBadAsHell said:

Not Really characters from back 5 books were children during the front 5 books . Brandon said he would start introducing some in books 4 and 5 . So I bet Adin is the POV wind runner in the back 5 books 

10 minutes ago, Ramona Tehradin said:

That kid has been introduced since Part 2: 

Okay, so either this changed or I posted this in the wrong thread. It was supposed to be in a thread about future SA characters. So this isn’t where it should be. I’ll delete the post because it’s in the wrong place. (Mutters about wonky internet...)

Dalinar’s choices seem straightforward to me. Dalinar, kaladin or szeth. 
Szeth makes more sense to me because Hey! It is his book and He has NB. 
He is very skilled at fighting and more importantly he knows a lot about all the surges. 
Seeing as how it is Taravangian who is the new odium, Szeth has an old score to settle. 
And it is kind of his doing that Taravangian ascended. 

As to odium’s champion, it is difficult to guess. Because by changing the vessel, odium has changed the whole game. I am sure it will a surprise! 

I think all of El, Moash, Nale, make sense but would be quite underwhelming and uninteresting. I still wish for Adolin (drama!), but after RoW he seems to be set up for a different arc (BAM release). However, Rodium nearly turned Dalinar, then nearly Kaladin of all people, each in less than one book. So who knows. It'd be actually super cool to see how Todium is a much more masterful and convincing sneaky bastard.

2 hours ago, Ailvara said:

I think all of El, Moash, Nale, make sense but would be quite underwhelming and uninteresting. I still wish for Adolin (drama!), but after RoW he seems to be set up for a different arc (BAM release). However, Rodium nearly turned Dalinar, then nearly Kaladin of all people, each in less than one book. So who knows. It'd be actually super cool to see how Todium is a much more masterful and convincing sneaky bastard.

He was working on them for much longer than a book!

36 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

He has no Plate and Odium's champion may carry one of the nullifier fabrials. If he wore a set of dead Plate, he'd be unable to lash.

He still has NB though

2 minutes ago, IndigoAjah said:

He still has NB though

Nightblood is a devastating melee weapon. Range is not its strength. And it also is not a weapon you can use for long.

Szeth against a Regal bearing Yelig-Nar and a nullifier fabrial for example looks very bad for Szeth.

45 minutes ago, IndigoAjah said:

He still has NB though

Remember the longer you unleash Nightblood, it'd start to devour your investiture and then start gobbling your soul. And after we saw its use against Odium, using it again would be rather...convenient, don't you think? 

I bet it will be El because he's mysterious, no titles and bears hemalurgic spikes. We don't know anything about him and his intents might not be even constricted to Roshar. He clearly would be scheming to become far-fetching- a perfect contendant for Todium. 

I can verily see Nale as Odium's champion. Szeth would've difficulty facing him as it was already seen. Plus I really want this guy dead cuz I'm like...can you just go?

The Darkolin theory is also intriguing but as mentioned, his arc has been set with Shallan to find BAM and release her. He might join in climatic battle but most of the parts of his arc would be written just like Dalinar-Jasnah part in RoW.

Edited by Ramona Tehradin

39 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Nightblood is a devastating melee weapon. Range is not its strength. And it also is not a weapon you can use for long.

Szeth against a Regal bearing Yelig-Nar and a nullifier fabrial for example looks very bad for Szeth.

Not really. He just has to throw it once and NB will do the rest. Wielding NB is by far the least effective way to use it.

The epigraph about holding a suckling infant and knowing the world wants me use the knife(extremely paraphrased) has me thinking it will be a child. But my gut says Szeth, based on Old Man T's reaction to "viewing" the rules of the contest of champions. 

1 hour ago, Ramona Tehradin said:

I bet it will be El because he's mysterious, no titles and bears hemalurgic spikes. We don't know anything about him and his intents might not be even constricted to Roshar. He clearly would be scheming to become far-fetching- a perfect contendant for Todium. 

Wait wait, hold the phone- El has hemalurgic spikes? What?

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

He has no Plate and Odium's champion may carry one of the nullifier fabrials. If he wore a set of dead Plate, he'd be unable to lash.

Szeth’s arc in Book 5 is literally about him fulfilling his 4th oath and get a shardplate. He will get his armour. And he has a live shardblade and nightblood. 

50 minutes ago, HipsterStick said:

Wait wait, hold the phone- El has hemalurgic spikes? What?

Ah, I must have mis-phrased my words. 

The figure had twisting horns on his head and carapace that reflected the light wrong. He always ripped off his natural carapace formations at each rebirth, then replaced them with metal inclusions. They were incorporated into his body by Voidlight healing and his own special talents.

This is clearly hemalurgic incorporation. 

Edited by Ramona Tehradin